Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO button on Pentax K-7

Hi everybody

In reviews of previous models, Pentax have received some critisism for not having a dedicated ISO button, thus the new Pentax K-7 now has one. On my Pentax K10D I dedicated the front (or back) e-dial for controlling the ISO value.

In my opinion this is much easier and faster to use than the ISO button, and I also use the e-dials to control ISO settings on my new K-7.

Is there some advantages using the ISO button that I am not seeing, or do the reviewers just not know the fantastic versatility of Pentax cameras well enough before reviewing?

09-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #2

Well, if you use Manual mode, two dials are absolutely indispensible for adjusting both aperture and shutter speed on the fly. So if you use those functions for the dials, you were previously stuck with having to go into a function menu to change iSO, which is just rubbish.
09-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hummm, in M mode, ISO can be set by pressing OK and moving the front dial (K10/K20)... Just like when you set the dials to control something else than ISO... No need to go in the menu...
09-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't own a K-7 but have used one a few times and IMO the ISO button was added because of pressure from reviews and not a good upgrade.

With a K10 or K20D I can easily change ISO in any mode using the OK button and I can do it without taking my eye from the veiwfinder. With the K-7 the ISO button is in a spot where I can't get my finger on it while having the camera to my eye. The OK button was just fine and works better IMO.

09-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

ISO button doesn't offer anything what wasn't possible to do with K10D/K20D. Instead of pressing OK and turning front dial, in K-7 you press ISO button and turn rear dial.
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Yeah I'm still getting used to it. Coming from the K20D it's quite unintuitive where they have placed the ISO button. Also the new location for the green button still frustrates me everytime I reach for it.
09-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks dlacouture !

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Hummm, in M mode, ISO can be set by pressing OK and moving the front dial (K10/K20)... Just like when you set the dials to control something else than ISO... No need to go in the menu...
I appreciate that information, I shoot mostly in SV but when shooting manual I have really missed the front wheel for ISO quick change. Too bad I can't change into a female when I view the manual laying around gathering dust, pick it up and read it and learn these things. But....you know how it is, I am allergic to manuals, instructions and maps. Once drove from Texas to Arizona when I was lost in Houston....but I did finally get back, and never once required a map!
Regards
09-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #8

Im OK with OK

I have no issue with hitting the OK button. In fact sometimes the K10/20 has just too much damn control its so flexible! A dedicated ISO button is just aligning Pentax to have what the average consumer expects. A new user looking at the K-7 sees the button and will feel at ease knowing Pentax is offering the level of complexity they would expect considering it's contemporaries. It was not necessary to add it as a separate button per se but several reviewers have mentioned it as if the function did not exist before. The psychology of marketing is a curious thing indeed as much of the decision to buy or not is based on first impressions. Losing the SR on/off was an acceptable trade IMO for example as I think it has arguably had less impact on the opinion of new customers. Other experience will vary but I am OK with the OK button but would not be bothered by a separate button as long as OK can do something else
Cheers
Roger

09-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I have to say that as a recent "switcher" the ISO button on the K-7 was a key advantage for me. I have been using digital cameras since the original Canon 30D (no, the older one) and I view the ISO button as a critical "instant access" feature just like Aperture and Shutter Speed. I love having the ability to shoot with my rear e-dial for Aperture and the front e-dial for shutter and have a separate button to control ISO without taking my eye away from the viewfinder. I agree that having Sv as an option is handy but I still shoot in Av almost exclusively. It sounds like Pentax should perhaps switch the button from ISO-only to a customizable Function button where the user can specify exactly what it controls. I would love to see something like this just like Nikon's D90, D200, and D300 custom Function button where you can map it to your own menu screen. Very handy for creating instant (or at least one-button) access to the features you find most relevant.
09-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
In any mode, as long as you have firmware update installed - I think it was in 1.1, but won't swear to it when Pentax added the function to the [OK] button.
09-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
I have to say that as a recent "switcher" the ISO button on the K-7 was a key advantage for me. I have been using digital cameras since the original Canon 30D (no, the older one) and I view the ISO button as a critical "instant access" feature just like Aperture and Shutter Speed. I love having the ability to shoot with my rear e-dial for Aperture and the front e-dial for shutter and have a separate button to control ISO without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.
You're good example of person whom Pentax is targeting at with addition of ISO button

The whole point of original poster is that older Pentax cameras (K10D, K20D) already had ISO button. On those cameras OK button is acting like ISO button on K-7 and ISO button doesn't offer anything more that already was in K10D/K20D
09-16-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
I have to say that as a recent "switcher" the ISO button on the K-7 was a key advantage for me. I have been using digital cameras since the original Canon 30D (no, the older one) and I view the ISO button as a critical "instant access" feature just like Aperture and Shutter Speed. I love having the ability to shoot with my rear e-dial for Aperture and the front e-dial for shutter and have a separate button to control ISO without taking my eye away from the viewfinder. I agree that having Sv as an option is handy but I still shoot in Av almost exclusively. It sounds like Pentax should perhaps switch the button from ISO-only to a customizable Function button where the user can specify exactly what it controls. I would love to see something like this just like Nikon's D90, D200, and D300 custom Function button where you can map it to your own menu screen. Very handy for creating instant (or at least one-button) access to the features you find most relevant.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
You're good example of person whom Pentax is targeting at with addition of ISO button

The whole point of original poster is that older Pentax cameras (K10D, K20D) already had ISO button. On those cameras OK button is acting like ISO button on K-7 and ISO button doesn't offer anything more that already was in K10D/K20D

I was thinking the same thing. The previous cameras had the same feature but is was more comfortable to use. The only problem was that it wasn't obvious to a new customer and appeared the ISO settings were only in the menu. So now a new customer looks at this camera like they did something radical to upgrade, which they did not. Even reviewers didn't get it sometimes.

It's like the many uses of the (GREAT) green button. Most new customers and reviewers don't know why Pentax has that feature and I couldn't live without it.
09-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
That, and on all these Pentax you can assign ISO control directly to an e-dial in Av and Tv mode (i.e. no button press needed).

I believe Nikon is the only other manufacturer to offer this ("easyISO" in their vernacular), and only on the D90 AFAIK.