Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D upper LCD repair

As you can see, the plastic cover on my K10D's top LCD display is broken and I would like to replace it. I know it is identified by Pentax as part #A302 "LCD Window" on the K10D exploded diagram but I can't seem to track down a part number or supplier. Any thoughts or does this require returning to Pentax (or some other 3rd party repair service) for repair?

Many thanks!

09-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just show Pentax parts department the picture and they can ship you that piece of plastic. Will probably take you less than 5mins to replace. Piece of cake.
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just show Pentax parts department the picture and they can ship you that piece of plastic. Will probably take you less than 5mins to replace. Piece of cake.
I don't mean to sound like a boob but how exactly does one go about showing a picture to the Pentax Parts Department? I have scoured their site and the best I've come up with a phone number where I left a message.
09-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
See if this works for you.

http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?origin_us=true

09-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I guess I can give that a shot. Thanks!
09-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got this reply from Pentax:

QuoteQuote:
Dear Mr. Donovan,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

A replacement LCD can be ordered from our Parts Department over the telephone at 720-988-2653 from 7:30AM-4:00PM Mountain Time, Mon-Fri.
However, we do not recommend you attempt to perform this repair on the K10D yourself. If you send the camera into us (for US residents only) we would be happy to take a look at it and provide a free no commitment estimate to you, which would state the cost to repair the camera. Our service department address is:

Pentax Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the parcel insured. Please include a note describing the problem and give your name, return shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking purposes, please note the serial number of your equipment for your own records.

We will examine your camera and supply you with a written estimate (this estimate is provided at no charge). Upon approval (and payment in full) of the estimate, we will proceed with the repair. Approvals may be given by phone with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. If you decide against the repair estimate, your camera will be returned to you for a $12 shipping and handling charge.

Repair times will vary depending on the time of year.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
I'm undecided about what to do. I don't think I can go without my camera for just a cosmetic fix. Anybody have experience replacing the LCD cover that can provide input on whether this is DIY-able. I'm pretty handy...
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote

I'm undecided about what to do. I don't think I can go without my camera for just a cosmetic fix. Anybody have experience replacing the LCD cover that can provide input on whether this is DIY-able. I'm pretty handy...
It appears most DSLRs just have some glue around the edges of the LCD covers. At least on most(all?) Canons you can just heat the cover up with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and then peel it off. Usually that's done by attaching a small suction cup, but in your case that might not be an option at least for parts of it...
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Robert,

I have the exact same problem with one of my K10D bodies. It happened last Christmas. I applied a piece of clear plastic (the one used for camera/PDA screen) as a "temporary" fix until I got a "round tuit." Now it's 9 months later, and all of the "tuits" I've ever got were square!

After a while, you'll get used to it, and don't feel the need to fix it anymore.

09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Robert,

I have the exact same problem with one of my K10D bodies. It happened last Christmas. I applied a piece of clear plastic (the one used for camera/PDA screen) as a "temporary" fix until I got a "round tuit." Now it's 9 months later, and all of the "tuits" I've ever got were square!

After a while, you'll get used to it, and don't feel the need to fix it anymore.
Like this? ;-)

Last edited by Robert S Donovan; 09-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
09-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote

I just changed the rear LCD cover on my K20D. It was allowing dust behind it so I decided to see if I could remove it. I heated it just a bit with a hair dryer attached a 1" suction cup and pulled up until one 'corner' was up enough for me to put a small screw driver under and pull up the LCD cover more and finally I just pulled it off, very easy job. The weather sealing for the rear LCD is between the LCD and body its not the LCD cover so sometimes they are not put on tight and leak in dust. I cleaned it but more dust still got in with time, I needed new two way tape to seal it right un-like the factory.

I called Pentax and they transfered me to parts, they lady was very nice and I needed no part numbers (I had them however) I asked if the LCD cover comes with the pre-shaped two way tape she said no. I asked how much, she said $2.20 for the LCD cover and .35 cents (? it was so cheap I am not sure of the exact cost ) for the pre-shaped DS tape, and $8 for shipping we laughed as shipping was more than the parts. Here I was buying expensive heavy dust protective covers from Radio Shack at $10 for 5. I could buy the whole cover and tape! Because the parts were so cheap and shipping was a flat $8.00 I ordered more than one LCD cover and two way tapes. I don't use protective covers anymore because I don't care if it gets scratched.

Now I know your talking the upper LCD cover. It appears from digging into the manual like you, that the upper cover and tape "Is the weather-seal" for the K10/K20. So my bet is its a higher grade and stronger adhesive tape. But all the concepts are the same. First call Pentax and get the parts. Then find a small suction cup sold at any hardware or big stores I see them everywhere for hanging things on glass and other stuff. Gently heat up and pull on your cover with the suction cup until the seal starts to break lose, pull until you can get a very small electronics screw driver in there and carefully without scratching anything take it up and off. Since your cover is cracked it may break, its OK now you can easly take off the rest of the cover by just pulling off each piece. With the new cover and tape you want to carefully and throughly take off the old tape; after you have it all off use a small drop of rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the mounting flange for a clean and tight seal, don't drip any down onto the LCD or touch the LCD (if you do you will have to clean it gently), make sure to blow off and out all dust before you re-seal the LCD. The tape goes on the top of the K10 first then you put the cover down on it pressing all around for a nice tight seal. The replacement back LCD came with a protective cover that had to be peeled off make sure you do this if there is any on the top LCD, Good luck.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-17-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
09-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

The lady that runs the Pentax parts department can't go by a photo. She has to have a parts number. I've been all through this just recently. If you call her she can email you an exploded parts pdf. You then get the parts number, call her back and order.

She is a sweetheart, but knows nothing about cameras or repairs. She can't give any tech assistance.

Parts dept. phone number>>> 1-720-988-2653, her name is Lynn Badillo.
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
james007-
This is exactly the kind of useful information I was looking for. Thank you very much!

wildlifephotog-
I have the part number and have put in a call to Lynn this afternoon. We'll see where this goes.

I will post a step by step how-to once the parts arrive.

Cheers!
09-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
The lady that runs the Pentax parts department can't go by a photo. She has to have a parts number. I've been all through this just recently. If you call her she can email you an exploded parts pdf. You then get the parts number, call her back and order.

She is a sweetheart, but knows nothing about cameras or repairs. She can't give any tech assistance.

Parts dept. phone number>>> 1-720-988-2653, her name is Lynn Badillo.
I assure you with common parts she does not need the part number, she has some knowledge like what the rear LCD is on a K20D and how to get the part number. I did not give her part numbers! Although I believe you, in that she does not know all parts I don't know why she would email you the parts list if you asked for the rear LCD cover, or top. Also I asked if it came with the two way tape and she knew it did not come with two way tape? What part did you order that she did not know what it was and had to send you the list? Now I just did your routine in getting some parts for my Sigma lens...

I just called Sigma lens to get some parts and they did send me the parts diagram and part number list for a Sigma 17-70mm, really C.R.I.S camera in Arizona. You tell them what part numbers you want and she will quote price & availability. The parts cost under $200 for the front lens element and the washers, but for the same price they will do it for you, probably because of the 100% or more mark up on parts. So my Sigma lens is going to Arizona today.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-18-2009 at 11:56 PM.
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
What part did you order that she did not know what it was and had to send you the list?
Pentax istDS shutter switch
09-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Interesting thread, nice work!