Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #1

K-7 Replacement

Well,
Received my replacement K-7 yesterday and the body is nice and tight (My prior unit is being returned because of clicking/flexing on the back of the body near the MENU button). Unfortunately I cannot be satisfied due to the following "potential" issues, especially considering the cost of this camera and the Limited Primes I purchased. I may be lining up a third replacement with Pentax as I bought this direct. As for the issues, here they are for your thoughts/comments:

1) Pentax assured me that the replacement would NOT be a refurbished unit and this may in fact be the case. However, I find it interesting that the UPC code on the box has a RED CIRCLE stamped onto it. My first box had no such "mark" which makes me wonder if this designates a refurbished unit. Again, not sure but absolutely makes me wonder

2)Autofocus indication points in the viewfinder. On my first unit the autofocus confirmation points that you see through the viewfinder were bright, clear, and solid red. The new replacement unit's points are dim by comparison and inconsistently lit (the bottom of the points being brighter than the faded tops.)

I really love this camera and really don's want to get another bad copy. Its got everything that I want in a camera from a technology point of view. IQ concerns are real though and if my third copy has issues I will probably initiate the "three strikes your out rule. Pentax, if your listening, please assure I'm good next round.

09-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With every complex electromechanical gizmo, odds are something will bound to be not perfect with many that run out of the factory floor, even after initial testing.

You may find many even on this forum that have had to return cameras, and lenses even more so, multiple times due to QC issues that you would think would have been sorted out at initial testing.

Would it really be any different with other brands? I'm not sure.
09-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would suspect the UPC red circle is more them marking the box because the camera was sent out as a replacement in case something was amiss. It's illegal in both Canada and the USA to exchange or sell a refurb unit without clear notice to the buyer. I would be shocked if they broke the rule. So it was probably just a way to indicate it was shipped as a free replacement.

As for the screen indicators, they adjust to light levels. I don't know if this is your first Pentax DSLR but they have a 'dimmer' to adjust the brightness of the indicators through the VF. So IMO this is the way the camera was built.

Go enjoy your new camera!
09-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just read the same thread at DPR. I hate the double posting. Go easy on the cut 'n' paste.
Replacement K-7: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

mike

09-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Peter...
Thanks for the thoughts.. Your comment about the reason for making the box might be valid and makes sense I guess. The legal aspect also easy my mind so appreciated.. As for the VF. I still have the original K-7 and have compared the two with the same lens, focusing on the same items. The replacement is dimmer and again, the square (center point for example) is not consistently bright on all four sides. The bottom is bright, the top is dim and varies. I guess my concern is longevity as well as getting proper feedback on focus point in bright conditions. The first unit I received won't pose a problem but the new unit makes me wonder. You mention "dimmer"..Is this feature automatic or are you suggesting a setting exists (I don't recall seeing anything in the menu) Thanks again

Schmik...
You might be a great guy but if double posts bother you don't read them. These are two separate forums and its possible not everyone reads both. You know the reasons for a forum right?? it's to solicit feedback and share comments/information. My goal is feedback and thoughts so posting on both forums results in more of this. In the end the common consensus is to not worry and that its normal, then I might stick with what I have and stop worrying. Case in point, Peters response which was of value to me. So take it easy my friend, remember what post are for and ignore them if they bother you instead of wasting bandwidth.

Now, I'm off to duplicate this response on the other thread..
09-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The dimmer that raises or lowers the brightness in the display is automatic. If you are seeing a noticeable difference between the 2, then I guess there might be an issue. Take the new body out in bright sun and if you can easily use it, then keep the camera. I know in direct sun it's tough to see much in the VF but you are looking to see if you can see the focus points under normal sunny conditions.

Being a fixed circuit, this will not change over time. It will stay the way it is till you retire the body.

As for the refurb thing, I was a manufacturers rep for 15 years and companies get big fines for passing refurbs as new.
09-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Schmik, sorry but I have to agree with the OP on the double post thing. I've asked for help on more than one forum and he has every right to get answers where ever he wants to.

09-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and see how performance is outside.
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Snakebit?

I can see where you might feel a little snakebit after one bad experience, but it might not be anything to worry about. I doubt it is a refurbished model, I have past experience with Pentax in that area and they are very "up front" with refurbished merchandise. The focus points...you got some good advice, go check it out.

As for being gun-shy, I can't say that I blame you, it is a lot of money and you have every right to get a good model. I hope it turns out that you got one. Things go wrong with any brand, including Pentax. I know one guy at DPR tha thas been shooting Pentax for several decades and has never experienced a single failure, never known of any defect, or never found any Pentax lacking in any area whatsoever. He keeps buying new models, and I don't know why...all the old ones were absolutely perfect in every regard. I bet you know him too? For me, I live in the real world and am willing to allow for some real world problems....I bet you are too.
Regards
Rupert
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

(1) assuming it's a refurb unit because of that? I don't know. Maybe it's their way of insuring that the customer won't try to double dip on any potential rebate offers that are out there with a "replacement" unit.

(2) I just checked mine, and lo-and-behold, the top line is slightly faded. I had not noticed, and after today, I won't notice it. It's... what's the word... slightly on the OCD side for you to take issue with such a minor "fault". If you have to swap cameras for something like that, well, I bid you good luck finding anything that will satisfy you 100% whichever system you intend to move over to.
09-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD:
It's... what's the word... slightly on the OCD side for you to take issue with such a minor "fault". If you have to swap cameras for something like that, well, I bid you good luck finding anything that will satisfy you 100% whichever system you intend to move over to.
I'll offer up an AMEN to your comment! My advice, stop nitpicking on stuff that doesn't affect picture quality and take some photos... I can understand about getting a faulty body to start with but it sounds like you're getting paranoid now. Question: why did you switch camera systems? Were you unhappy with the quality of your previous camera?
09-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
Did a few tests today (More to come).. Using the camera in bright outdoor conditions had no noticeable impact on focus point brightness. I am inclined to worry less about this "difference" as I don't think it indicates imminent component failure down the road. As for nitpicking, well, you got me there.. I tend to break things down too much but I guess its an occupational habit. I am also a hardcore gadget guy (New items get released and I am typically the first to get them), early adoption may have caused my tendency to test for anomalies and I am very thorough (call me analytical). I'll continue to test image quality tomorrow between the two cameras. Interesting find today that the LCD colors and saturation were quite different on both units when settings matched. New unit was washed out and yellow tinted compared to the punchy saturated LCD on the first unit. I dialed the LCD to match though via the adjustments menu. Overall, happy so far, realize that components may differ but with standard manufacturing process's the delta's should not be that great from one unit to the other. Its interesting to me but in the end the comment about taking pictures is correct. The only caveat is that if something warrants long term functionality concern then its something that should not be ignored. Anyway, the comments are good, thanks.. Also, I did not switch brands and I am getting back into photography after years using film. Did my research (drove my wife crazy) and choose the K-7 and purchased some Limited FA's. It provided the best bang for the buck, superior features (IMHO), solid weather resistant build quality, and stellar image quality as far as I am concerned.