Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #1

Photography noob needs expert advice

I'm a bit of a photography newbie, and i'm looking into buying a nice, not-too-expensive D SLR for myself. I've never really tried a D SLR, let alone bought one. I'm relatively comfortable using my Dad's Olympus OM-1, but I'm interested in going digital (I'm a college student, and buying film + developing it costs a lot, specially here in Europe.)
I've been looking around, reading reviews for the last couple of days, and for some reason (don't ask me why), the Pentax K10D seems more desirable than other similar-priced cameras, such as the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, the Nikon D70/D80, and the rest.
Well, to tell the truth, there are a couple of reasons why I like it more, starting with apparent ruggedness. I'd really like it to last more than just a couple years (I'm not asking it to last as long as my Dad's camera, which is about 30 years old, but I would like it to last maybe 5+ years).
I also liked the fact that the kit lens compared very favorably to, say, the Canon kit lens. On the other hand, I'm kinda considering skipping the kit lens part and moving on directly to some more serious stuff. So if anyone feels like helping out a poor newbie...
I'd really like to keep the price of the system under 1200$, 1000 would be nice. Right now I'm looking at the Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4.5 zoom lens, which seems pretty nice for its price, but then I wouldn't have much in the way of telephoto. Basically, what I really need to know is: what lenses should I buy if I want to have an "all-round" system, and where can I buy them for cheap? If anyone feels like helping out a poor, confused newbie, I'd be super-grateful (Actually, just pointing me to good sites where I can find cheap lenses, and guides/manuals concerning the k10d, that'd be really cool)

PS: I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place, or asked the wrong questions...

05-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The sigma 17-70 is a great quality lens for the price.

Just a suggestion, how would you feel about a k100d with the kit lens and the pentax 50-200mm f4-5.6? Both of those lenses are great considering the cost and it should fit under your budget. The k100d is an incredibly capable camera as most of the shots that people on these boards post, so dont write that one off either.
05-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
The K100D looks inspiring, but there are a couple of minor details I'm not in love with: no DNG (the Adobe RAW format) support, and no continuous shooting. That normally wouldn't stop me, but I've heard Pentax had really improved a couple of features over the K100D, and they'd made itr weather-resistant, which is a big plus to me.

The 50-200 Pentax lens looks nice too, it's actually the one I might consider buying in addition to the 17-70 Sigma lens.

Thanks for the help...
05-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nichomerrri Quote
The K100D looks inspiring, but there are a couple of minor details I'm not in love with: no DNG (the Adobe RAW format) support
There isnt really any difference between the 2. If you use Adobe Camera Raw to do your Raw conversions then it will read the Pentax raw file just fine.

no continuous shooting. That normally wouldn't stop me
The k100d has a continuous shooting mode, about 2.5 frames per second. Ill admit that the buffer isnt the greatest but it will still fire off a couple of frames if you need it too.

and they'd made itr weather-resistant, which is a big plus to me.
Only if you plan to buy the more expensive DA* lenses. Im pretty sure that every other pentax lens on the market isnt weather sealed so you pretty much lose any advantage of having a fully sealed kit.

05-23-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the K100D in some pretty severe winter weather, plus on my fishing boat and haven't had a problem with it.
As long as your smart about it and don't take it out during a pretty nasty storm without covering it up you should be fine. All that it takes to cover it up is a plastic bag under most conditions.

I'd still want to cover up a K10 in those conditions as well.
05-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh, and another question: Lot's of the Sigma lenses I'm looking at are "J type", meaning without an aperture ring. Is that going to annoy me in the long run or is it easy to set the aperture from the body?
05-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
There isnt really any difference between the 2. If you use Adobe Camera Raw to do your Raw conversions then it will read the Pentax raw file just fine.
Fine if you're using ACR or other proprietary software, but as far as I know there's no open source software which can read the Pentax format. So DNG is a big plus there.

05-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh, and another question: Lot's of the Sigma lenses I'm looking at are "J type", meaning without an aperture ring. Is that going to annoy me in the long run or is it easy to set the aperture from the body?
You just have to set the aperture using the camera instead of the lens, quite simple to get used to if you are coming from a traditional SLR back ground

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Fine if you're using ACR or other proprietary software, but as far as I know there's no open source software which can read the Pentax format. So DNG is a big plus there.
Then use the provided software to do your RAW conversions and then you are all set. Although if you use the Gimp/GimpShop, im pretty sure the main RAW converter plug in can convert PEF. Cant remember the name of it but i used to use it a few months back.
05-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Then use the provided software to do your RAW conversions and then you are all set. Although if you use the Gimp/GimpShop, im pretty sure the main RAW converter plug in can convert PEF. Cant remember the name of it but i used to use it a few months back.
I think it's called dcraw, and I just checked - it supports the Pentax format. Good news for me!
05-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it's called dcraw, and I just checked - it supports the Pentax format. Good news for me!
Yep thats the one, i just found it then
05-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My $0.02....

If you are looking for a camera that will not only last 5+ years, but one that you will be happy with that long, I would stick with the K10D. More room to grow.

As far as RAW support, there are plenty of apps that support both DNG and PEF. I shoot PEF in camera and convert to DNG on import to Lightroom. The reason is that the in camera DNG is not compressed while the PEF is, saving space on the card.