Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

K100D strange problem - Please help

Hi,
I have a K100D camera, unfortunately not in warranty.
This is my first DSLR and i love it, and already ordered a Super Takumar 135, 3.5 from ebay
Unfortunately i noticed a very strange problem with the camera today.
I changed the lens and when i switched the camera on and pressed the shutter button halfway to focus, it started to take photos in burst mode, but without saving any picture to card or displaying on LCD.
After this, i noticed that the camera takes one single "picture" (also not saved) after every button is pressed on the body, even when i'm navigating in the menu.
Very strange!
The mirror and shutter looks fine and behaving normally.
Sometimes, after i changing the lens, all becames normal again and i can take pictures and all looks fine, then suddenly the problem appearing again.
I tried with different lenses and SD card (even without card) and fully charged new batteries(also with new alkaline batteries).
Also cleaned the visible contacts (on lens mount), but had no effect.

I appreciate any help or suggestions. Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks!

09-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you buy it used?

Honestly, all those issues sound plain weird, you have me beat.
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact that it happens intermittently means something's not quite right about the camera.
Sounds like you've done everything to ensure optimal performance but the camera's spitting the dummy.
Sorry I'm of no help to you either - it might just be a malfunction you have to live with until you either repair it or replace it.
09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
sounds really, really weird. Only thing I can think of is either a wiring or a software problem... Maybe reinstalling / upgrading firmware?

09-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for all replies.
I will try to reinstall the firmware, but i already have the latest one installed.
The camera was used, but in very good condition, and worked fine a few months.
I will send it to repairs this week and let you know my findings
09-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I had the same problem with a K100D Super. My theory is that it has something to do with creepage distance. It seems that if you don't use well regulated batteries it's possible that a charge can pass somewhere where the tolerances are too close almost like a short and cause the spastic behavior. I think this is compounded by heat and humidity also. I solved it by not using lithium batteries and sticking with Rayovac hybrids which don't seem to have quite the current output but still last a long time. Hasn't happened since.
09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to say the same thing except the battery type. Get rid of the alkaline batteries as the voltage on even new ones can be too low. Get good quality Lithium's and then reset all the camera controls in the menu to factory settings. Then update the firmware even if you have the latest. The old firmware could be corrupt. Then try the camera. If this works (lets hope), order a set of Sanyo Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids (similar batteries) for your camera and don't use any other battery.

The K100/110/100s cameras were very sensitive to any voltage variances and when these cameras first came out, we heard lots of people discussing odd behavior with certain batteries.

If that does not solve the issue, I suspect humidity or moisture got inside the camera. If so, put it in a dry place and if you have a dehumidifier available that would be best. Take the lens off and open the battery and SD doors. Let it sit without power for 24-48 hours. Then do the above. If it's still acting odd, it needs to go to service.