Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to go with either the K2000 or a used K10. For what you are shooting, speedy auto focus is not the big thing. Either one of these cameras will give you what you want and has the same sensor as your current camera. I think you'll be pleased with either one and save your money for the K7.

09-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.
Try handling a K20D without the grip. I always use a grip on my K100D Super with a larger lens and/or flash mounted, otherwise it's too small to hold comfortably. I have a BG-2 grip for the K20D, but I rarely use it. With a larger lens and/or flash I find it makes the camera too heavy and actually feels more cumbersome than the camera alone. For my hand, the K20 allows enough grip on its own and the extra weight of the battery grip is an issue, especially hanging around my neck.

The BG-2 grip provides amazing battery life because it supplements the inboard battery, but I can't envision shooting where I couldn't find time to pop a fresh battery into the K20. Some may value the vertical shutter release but again I find the grip more cumbersome than just the camera in vertical mode. Maybe it's force of habit or maybe it's because I'm a left-eye shooter.

Given the better handling and higher performance of the K20, and the low cost right now, that would definitely be my suggestion. It's a lot more camera, for not much more money.
09-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Not to mention you can get the K20D with a grip for ~$600 on the marketplace these days.
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lots of good ideas here. While the K20 seems like the obvious choice, I don't think that is the route I want to go. I think at this point, I'd rather spend $200-300 and wait until the K7 either comes down or I have more disposable income!

The K20 is an incredible camera, but the K7 addresses a few of the issues I have with the K20, such as the front focus issue under tungsten light, unpredictable auto white balance under any artificial light (easy to over come though) & I like the smaller size of the K7 and quiet shutter (just like my E-1).

For the interim, I am keeping my eye out for a KM or K100D that would be a goode deal (i.e. I can sell in the near future and not lose much, if any money).

09-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Cost seems to be a key factor for you...that said, duplicating what you currently shoot means you don't need to buy another grip or other accessories. Purchase one used body and you're done!

K10d is in your budget--that's what I have for backup, but honestly seldom use it.