Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back-up body selection

Hello all - I need a second body, mainly for the just in case moments. My work is typically deliberate and thought out (usually on a tripod)- the fastest autofocus and clean ISO 3200 are not needed. Current body is a K200D w/ grip, which I love. Size and shape reminds me of my beloved E-1. The output is exceptional - with the right lens, focus, and exposure, pixel level sharpness is outstanding. Only major quibble is the front focus under tungsten light.

I'm trying to put my wants to the side and buy something I need. I want a K7, but that would be stretching the wallet at this time. Plus I don't see how my current paid work would benefit greatly from the added expense. In reality, it's not responsible to not have a back-up body with me on location for paid shoots, but unfortunately that is how it's been since June.

On my short list are another K200D (if I can find one) or the K2000. I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.

I've read the reviews on the K2000 which seem quite positive. I'm OK with it's short comings. Should I go for the K2000? Or should I reconsider the K7 or K20D?

BTW: I didn't mention what I typically shoot - landscape, interiors, and product shots.

Thank you!

09-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

with your needs as they are I would be happy to recommend a 2nd hand K100D Super (or an even earlier camera).

I find the K100D Super still gets some play even though I have my K-7 to hand - sure, it's the camera I give to others to shoot with and have it lying around in case anything interesting happens but it's got great IQ (as has my Optio E70L at ISO100! - IQ is not really an issue any more if you are prepared for other constraints...)

Bottom line - if it's landscape, interior and product photography and you take your time, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with 6Mpix.

If not then look at a 2nd hand K10D...

You don't need a new camera, you just need a good camera.
09-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Why not buy a K20, make that your main and put your current camera as a backup. K20s are a great deal right now!!
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago

K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago, the clock is ticking...

Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Why not buy a K20, make that your main and put your current camera as a backup. K20s are a great deal right now!!

09-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would get another K200D. You seem to be satisfied with it, & going to your backup will always be a natural transition requiring no adjustment whatsoever. I use a backup identical to my main squeeze for just these reasons.
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you really want a K7 but can't afford it, the K20 is just the ticket... practically the same in IQ, and the K20 is more sophisticated and more pleasurable to use than the K200 (if you can believe it). Furthermore, if you have good glass, you will be delighted with the IQ of the K20D. Actually, I was astounded at the difference between the K200 and K20D IQ (especially with cropped images) when I first got my K20. With really good glass, those extra 4.6 megapixels really count.

Besides, these days the K20 isn't that much more expensive than the K2000, is it?
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Hello all - I need a second body, mainly for the just in case moments. My work is typically deliberate and thought out (usually on a tripod)- the fastest autofocus and clean ISO 3200 are not needed. Current body is a K200D w/ grip, which I love. Size and shape reminds me of my beloved E-1. The output is exceptional - with the right lens, focus, and exposure, pixel level sharpness is outstanding. Only major quibble is the front focus under tungsten light.

I'm trying to put my wants to the side and buy something I need. I want a K7, but that would be stretching the wallet at this time. Plus I don't see how my current paid work would benefit greatly from the added expense. In reality, it's not responsible to not have a back-up body with me on location for paid shoots, but unfortunately that is how it's been since June.

On my short list are another K200D (if I can find one) or the K2000. I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.

I've read the reviews on the K2000 which seem quite positive. I'm OK with it's short comings. Should I go for the K2000? Or should I reconsider the K7 or K20D?

BTW: I didn't mention what I typically shoot - landscape, interiors, and product shots.

Thank you!
Why not look at a body that does something your's does not.

Although you say ISO 3200 is not needed, a 6MP body may have other benefits. Look at an *istD or DS, because it can do truue TTL flash and therefore can perform flassho exposure with non "A" lenses. THis is a big benefit if you have any old glass.

09-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote

Thank you!
Or since you have the EP-1, try one of the new novaflex adapters for it! Maybe no AF or aperture adjustment electronically, but cheap.
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #9

How about the forthcoming Kx? It seems pretty impressive to me on paper.
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

money where mouth is, heavily cropped shot with DA Ltd 35 and K100D Super, firing at K-7 with 16-50 attached (had to capture it's christening!).

Not making a case for my camera in specific or my photography, or the DA35 Ltd (although, buy it - it's wonderful :-) ) but here's a link to a full-sized JPEG of my heavy crop from a 6MP camera... Lowell Goudge suggested an *ist series camera and that works for me too. It seems with your needs and with money an issue you'll be happy.

It'll just make it all the sweeter when you can actually afford one of the new big guns...
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate this suggestion and the crop photo does look good. I have no problem with a 6MP camera, and do recall the great things said about the K100 (and super). One aspect of the newer cameras that I like (and often use) is the wireless flash. Obviously this won't happen with the K100 or earlier bodies. All is not entirely lost because I do have wireless radio triggers that I can use in a pinch.

For a little while I did have a DS on my radar, so the K100D is not a bad suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
with your needs as they are I would be happy to recommend a 2nd hand K100D Super (or an even earlier camera).

I find the K100D Super still gets some play even though I have my K-7 to hand - sure, it's the camera I give to others to shoot with and have it lying around in case anything interesting happens but it's got great IQ (as has my Optio E70L at ISO100! - IQ is not really an issue any more if you are prepared for other constraints...)

Bottom line - if it's landscape, interior and product photography and you take your time, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with 6Mpix.

money where mouth is, heavily cropped shot with DA Ltd 35 and K100D Super, firing at K-7 with 16-50 attached (had to capture it's christening!).

Not making a case for my camera in specific or my photography, or the DA35 Ltd (although, buy it - it's wonderful :-) ) but here's a link to a full-sized JPEG of my heavy crop from a 6MP camera... Lowell Goudge suggested an *ist series camera and that works for me too. It seems with your needs and with money an issue you'll be happy.

It'll just make it all the sweeter when you can actually afford one of the new big guns...
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K20D is a great suggestion and solution here. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money for one when a K7 is a high probability over the next 4-6 months. I'd rather spend less now and get the DA35 I have been eying. Decisions...

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago, the clock is ticking...

Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you really want a K7 but can't afford it, the K20 is just the ticket... practically the same in IQ, and the K20 is more sophisticated and more pleasurable to use than the K200 (if you can believe it). Furthermore, if you have good glass, you will be delighted with the IQ of the K20D. Actually, I was astounded at the difference between the K200 and K20D IQ (especially with cropped images) when I first got my K20. With really good glass, those extra 4.6 megapixels really count.

Besides, these days the K20 isn't that much more expensive than the K2000, is it?
09-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have an E-P1. I have an E-1 and that is my back for now (K-4/3rds adapter). It is actually decent for this use, although far from ideal.

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Or since you have the EP-1, try one of the new novaflex adapters for it! Maybe no AF or aperture adjustment electronically, but cheap.
09-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it was last evening, I took a look at the market place forum and saw a couple of K20s with the grip going for some pretty good prices, and they were well cared for.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/73426-sale-all-...ots-stuff.html

That is a possibility, along with another K200 along with the KM/2000. I kept my K100 when I upgraded to the K20 a few months ago.

hope that helps ...
09-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My K10D stays on my flash bracket and my backup K100DS stays in my hand, most of the time.

Yes it is my backup, but because it is so light, and if I am not doing a pro shoot, it is my leisure primary camera.

It rocks!

Talking bout redundancy!
Name:  Flash 033.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  65.1 KB

Last edited by res3567; 09-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.