Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 478
Back-up body selection

Hello all - I need a second body, mainly for the just in case moments. My work is typically deliberate and thought out (usually on a tripod)- the fastest autofocus and clean ISO 3200 are not needed. Current body is a K200D w/ grip, which I love. Size and shape reminds me of my beloved E-1. The output is exceptional - with the right lens, focus, and exposure, pixel level sharpness is outstanding. Only major quibble is the front focus under tungsten light.

I'm trying to put my wants to the side and buy something I need. I want a K7, but that would be stretching the wallet at this time. Plus I don't see how my current paid work would benefit greatly from the added expense. In reality, it's not responsible to not have a back-up body with me on location for paid shoots, but unfortunately that is how it's been since June.

On my short list are another K200D (if I can find one) or the K2000. I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.

I've read the reviews on the K2000 which seem quite positive. I'm OK with it's short comings. Should I go for the K2000? Or should I reconsider the K7 or K20D?

BTW: I didn't mention what I typically shoot - landscape, interiors, and product shots.

Thank you!

09-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "around"
Posts: 116
with your needs as they are I would be happy to recommend a 2nd hand K100D Super (or an even earlier camera).

I find the K100D Super still gets some play even though I have my K-7 to hand - sure, it's the camera I give to others to shoot with and have it lying around in case anything interesting happens but it's got great IQ (as has my Optio E70L at ISO100! - IQ is not really an issue any more if you are prepared for other constraints...)

Bottom line - if it's landscape, interior and product photography and you take your time, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with 6Mpix.

If not then look at a 2nd hand K10D...

You don't need a new camera, you just need a good camera.
09-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
CaymanImaging's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 194
Why not buy a K20, make that your main and put your current camera as a backup. K20s are a great deal right now!!
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago

K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago, the clock is ticking...


Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H


QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Why not buy a K20, make that your main and put your current camera as a backup. K20s are a great deal right now!!


09-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member
raymeedc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 951
I would get another K200D. You seem to be satisfied with it, & going to your backup will always be a natural transition requiring no adjustment whatsoever. I use a backup identical to my main squeeze for just these reasons.
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 332
If you really want a K7 but can't afford it, the K20 is just the ticket... practically the same in IQ, and the K20 is more sophisticated and more pleasurable to use than the K200 (if you can believe it). Furthermore, if you have good glass, you will be delighted with the IQ of the K20D. Actually, I was astounded at the difference between the K200 and K20D IQ (especially with cropped images) when I first got my K20. With really good glass, those extra 4.6 megapixels really count.

Besides, these days the K20 isn't that much more expensive than the K2000, is it?
09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Hello all - I need a second body, mainly for the just in case moments. My work is typically deliberate and thought out (usually on a tripod)- the fastest autofocus and clean ISO 3200 are not needed. Current body is a K200D w/ grip, which I love. Size and shape reminds me of my beloved E-1. The output is exceptional - with the right lens, focus, and exposure, pixel level sharpness is outstanding. Only major quibble is the front focus under tungsten light.

I'm trying to put my wants to the side and buy something I need. I want a K7, but that would be stretching the wallet at this time. Plus I don't see how my current paid work would benefit greatly from the added expense. In reality, it's not responsible to not have a back-up body with me on location for paid shoots, but unfortunately that is how it's been since June.

On my short list are another K200D (if I can find one) or the K2000. I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.

I've read the reviews on the K2000 which seem quite positive. I'm OK with it's short comings. Should I go for the K2000? Or should I reconsider the K7 or K20D?

BTW: I didn't mention what I typically shoot - landscape, interiors, and product shots.

Thank you!
Why not look at a body that does something your's does not.

Although you say ISO 3200 is not needed, a 6MP body may have other benefits. Look at an *istD or DS, because it can do truue TTL flash and therefore can perform flassho exposure with non "A" lenses. THis is a big benefit if you have any old glass.
09-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member
GLXLR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Hello all - I need a second body, mainly for the just in case moments. My work is typically deliberate and thought out (usually on a tripod)- the fastest autofocus and clean ISO 3200 are not needed. Current body is a K200D w/ grip, which I love. Size and shape reminds me of my beloved E-1. The output is exceptional - with the right lens, focus, and exposure, pixel level sharpness is outstanding. Only major quibble is the front focus under tungsten light.

I'm trying to put my wants to the side and buy something I need. I want a K7, but that would be stretching the wallet at this time. Plus I don't see how my current paid work would benefit greatly from the added expense. In reality, it's not responsible to not have a back-up body with me on location for paid shoots, but unfortunately that is how it's been since June.

On my short list are another K200D (if I can find one) or the K2000. I considered the K20D, which would delegate my K200D to back up status, but by the time I add the grip (I have to have a grip on my main rig), I'm looking at $800. Not too sure about dropping that much.

I've read the reviews on the K2000 which seem quite positive. I'm OK with it's short comings. Should I go for the K2000? Or should I reconsider the K7 or K20D?

BTW: I didn't mention what I typically shoot - landscape, interiors, and product shots.

Thank you!
Or since you have the EP-1, try one of the new novaflex adapters for it! Maybe no AF or aperture adjustment electronically, but cheap.

09-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 157
How about the forthcoming Kx? It seems pretty impressive to me on paper.
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: "around"
Posts: 116
money where mouth is, heavily cropped shot with DA Ltd 35 and K100D Super, firing at K-7 with 16-50 attached (had to capture it's christening!).



Not making a case for my camera in specific or my photography, or the DA35 Ltd (although, buy it - it's wonderful :-) ) but here's a link to a full-sized JPEG of my heavy crop from a 6MP camera... Lowell Goudge suggested an *ist series camera and that works for me too. It seems with your needs and with money an issue you'll be happy.

It'll just make it all the sweeter when you can actually afford one of the new big guns...
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 478
Original Poster
I appreciate this suggestion and the crop photo does look good. I have no problem with a 6MP camera, and do recall the great things said about the K100 (and super). One aspect of the newer cameras that I like (and often use) is the wireless flash. Obviously this won't happen with the K100 or earlier bodies. All is not entirely lost because I do have wireless radio triggers that I can use in a pinch.

For a little while I did have a DS on my radar, so the K100D is not a bad suggestion.


QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
with your needs as they are I would be happy to recommend a 2nd hand K100D Super (or an even earlier camera).

I find the K100D Super still gets some play even though I have my K-7 to hand - sure, it's the camera I give to others to shoot with and have it lying around in case anything interesting happens but it's got great IQ (as has my Optio E70L at ISO100! - IQ is not really an issue any more if you are prepared for other constraints...)

Bottom line - if it's landscape, interior and product photography and you take your time, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with 6Mpix.

If not then look at a 2nd hand K10D...

You don't need a new camera, you just need a good camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
money where mouth is, heavily cropped shot with DA Ltd 35 and K100D Super, firing at K-7 with 16-50 attached (had to capture it's christening!).



Not making a case for my camera in specific or my photography, or the DA35 Ltd (although, buy it - it's wonderful :-) ) but here's a link to a full-sized JPEG of my heavy crop from a 6MP camera... Lowell Goudge suggested an *ist series camera and that works for me too. It seems with your needs and with money an issue you'll be happy.

It'll just make it all the sweeter when you can actually afford one of the new big guns...
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 478
Original Poster
The K20D is a great suggestion and solution here. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money for one when a K7 is a high probability over the next 4-6 months. I'd rather spend less now and get the DA35 I have been eying. Decisions...

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Why not buy a K20, make that your main and put your current camera as a backup. K20s are a great deal right now!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
K20D got discontinued a couple weeks ago, the clock is ticking...


Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
If you really want a K7 but can't afford it, the K20 is just the ticket... practically the same in IQ, and the K20 is more sophisticated and more pleasurable to use than the K200 (if you can believe it). Furthermore, if you have good glass, you will be delighted with the IQ of the K20D. Actually, I was astounded at the difference between the K200 and K20D IQ (especially with cropped images) when I first got my K20. With really good glass, those extra 4.6 megapixels really count.

Besides, these days the K20 isn't that much more expensive than the K2000, is it?
09-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 478
Original Poster
I don't have an E-P1. I have an E-1 and that is my back for now (K-4/3rds adapter). It is actually decent for this use, although far from ideal.

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Or since you have the EP-1, try one of the new novaflex adapters for it! Maybe no AF or aperture adjustment electronically, but cheap.
09-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,998
I think it was last evening, I took a look at the market place forum and saw a couple of K20s with the grip going for some pretty good prices, and they were well cared for.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/73426-sale-all-...ots-stuff.html

That is a possibility, along with another K200 along with the KM/2000. I kept my K100 when I upgraded to the K20 a few months ago.

hope that helps ...
09-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member
res3567's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,876
QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
with your needs as they are I would be happy to recommend a 2nd hand K100D Super (or an even earlier camera).

I find the K100D Super still gets some play even though I have my K-7 to hand - sure, it's the camera I give to others to shoot with and have it lying around in case anything interesting happens but it's got great IQ (as has my Optio E70L at ISO100! - IQ is not really an issue any more if you are prepared for other constraints...)

Bottom line - if it's landscape, interior and product photography and you take your time, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with 6Mpix.

If not then look at a 2nd hand K10D...

You don't need a new camera, you just need a good camera.
My K10D stays on my flash bracket and my backup K100DS stays in my hand, most of the time.

Yes it is my backup, but because it is so light, and if I am not doing a pro shoot, it is my leisure primary camera.

It rocks!


Talking bout redundancy!
Name:  Flash 033.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  65.1 KB

Last edited by res3567; 09-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
back-up, body, camera, dslr, focus, grip, k2000, k200d, k20d, k7, photography, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q on a 2x Converter selection. arbib Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-23-2009 01:31 AM
Help with lens selection splurf Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 11-20-2009 08:17 AM
Back focus ? lense vs. body ? Thesorus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 08-06-2009 04:45 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 645NII AF body + 120 film back chemxaj Sold Items 2 07-14-2008 10:57 PM
Help with Macro selection rmtagg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 03-16-2008 05:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top