Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D white balance

I've read about the improved white balance in the K-7 and wonder what could possibly be better? I've just gone through a bunch of photos with Adobe Camera Raw and very rarely I have to adjust the white balance. I have the K10D set to auto WB and that seems to produce the most accurate colors in most situations. It's only in extremely strange lighting situations that I need to adjust WB.

Is it just me.....or my K10D?

/Tommy

09-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try shooting scenes lit by halogen/incandescent light bulbs/candlelight/any sort of yellow lights, and see how your results fare.

Even the K20D doesn't cool down WB enough under these conditions and should be adjusted in ACR.

The K-7 fares remarkably better in this regard.
09-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Try shooting scenes lit by halogen/incandescent light bulbs/candlelight/any sort of yellow lights, and see how your results fare.

Even the K20D doesn't cool down WB enough under these conditions and should be adjusted in ACR.

The K-7 fares remarkably better in this regard.
Yeah, I guess I might not be shooting with difficult light too often. Candlelight season is coming up so I'll try to expand my photography towards the limits of the K10D.

/Tommy
09-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The K10D has a pretty bad auto WB.

09-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Disagreement

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The K10D has a pretty bad auto WB.
Well, as far as I am concerned, the K10D has a pretty GOOD AWB. I am extremely happy with mine.
09-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Really, most cameras do well in light that is at all close to neutral. It's only in extremely "warm" yellow/orange light (actually, a low color temperature, but we consider those colors "warm" colloquially) that AWB systems will show much difference at all. Shoot a scene lit by incandescent bulbs only and AWB will usually produce a picture far more yellow/orange than you perceived the scene. If you happen to *like* that look, thn indeed, it works "well". If you happen to prefer a scene to show more of the local color of the objects in it and less of the color of the light, it works terribly. The K10D, like most other cameras, produces a very yellow/orange image under incandescent light. The K-7, presumably, removes more of that color cast. Of course, the flip side of this is is when you want the camera to *not* remove color cast, like when shooting sunsets, or highly saturated flowers, etc.
09-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K10D, like most other cameras, produces a very yellow/orange image under incandescent light. The K-7, presumably, removes more of that color cast. Of course, the flip side of this is is when you want the camera to *not* remove color cast, like when shooting sunsets, or highly saturated flowers, etc.
Quite true that no AWB system is perfect for every situation. And that is the #1 reason I shoot RAW. That is truly the one area where I can't afford to lose the control. Sure, the extra dynamic range for getting things back from shadows or highlights is nice sometimes, but I don't need it to rescure 95% of the shots I take. White balance corrections, on the other hand, are quite routine for me.

That's not always the cameras fault. Often times, I'm just really bad about remembering to change a manual WB setting. So I'll very often take an outdoor shot that looks blue because I left it on "tungsten". If I was shooting JPG, it'd be a ruined shot. But when I shoot RAW, I just shrug my shoulders and know that I can easily fix it later.

So white balance is where I need the latitude that RAW provides. If *any* camera could always get WB right (or if JPGs didn't lose too much data to make large WB corrections) I'd probably not bother with RAW, except in the trickiest of lighting situations.
09-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The K-7, presumably, removes more of that color cast. Of course, the flip side of this is is when you want the camera to *not* remove color cast, like when shooting sunsets, or highly saturated flowers, etc.
The K-7's AWB is pure magic. It has so far performed superbly in all the lighting conditions I've thrown at it (mixed daylight/tungsten/fluo, pure fluo, pure tungsten, etc).

And you have two levels of correction, with "subtle" (the default) leaving just enough of the original color cast.

Last edited by RBellavance; 09-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.
09-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either way, if you're happy shooting in RAW, the slightly-off WB won't matter - easily corrected in PP.