Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats onlinejames,
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun taking thousands of shots in your first few days
Hard to advise which one you should sell. Really it's up to you as to which you use less.

I was personally not too keen on the Sigma 18-50, hence my upgrade to the DA 18-55. Haven't tried out the Sigma 28-80, but I'm not sure that would be much different to the 18-50.

Just depends on whether you want a more wide angle zoom, and are happy with accepting the lenses won't be too good in low light. Otherwise, see how you go with time - that would probably tell you which one to sell off...

05-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #17

Original Poster
Just depends on whether you want a more wide angle zoom, and are happy with accepting the lenses won't be too good in low light. Otherwise, see how you go with time - that would probably tell you which one to sell off...[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by not being too good in low light
thanks
05-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Experts, please forgive me if I'm not technically accurate or am explaining this poorly, but I'll try and answer your question onlinejames:

Lighting can be the limiting factor in taking an adequate shot, and the larger a lenses aperture can be, the more light it can allow to hit the sensor and capture the shot well (good exposure).

Also, larger apertures allow quite creative photography with shallow depth of field. Low light stretches the ability of a lens to take a shot with a reasonable shutter speed. The smaller the aperture, the longer the shutter speed needs to be to allow enough light in to get an adequately exposed picture.

For the zoom lenses you have (max aperture 3.5), this usually means you will need a tripod or you won't be able to take the shot because of excessive blur (this is for low light conditions like indoor and night time shots). Some "faster" (and thus more expensive) lenses (max aperture 1.4, 1.7, 2 or 2.8) can take a shot that you would otherwise not be able to take with your lenses. Most of these are primes, but some good zooms are around - I'm looking for one such zoom now...

MUST.... RESIST..... LBA.............

Last edited by Ash; 05-26-2007 at 06:27 AM.
05-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlinejames Quote
The problem i got is which lens to keep, and which one to sell with my mz50 film camera
I have the sigma 18-50 ( bought with k100d ), sigma 28-80(macro) lens, and a sigma 100-300 4.5-6.7 DL lens, the later 2 have uv filters which don't fit the new lens which is a 58 against the other 2 being 55's
What would you sell with the old mz50
thanks
I wouldnt sell any of them. I have both and the 28-80 macro is a great walk around lens. If you need wide, then you still have the 18-50.

And the 29-80 doesnt perform too badly in low light either. Ive just gotten home from shooting my old schools musical from the side of the audience using it and going between iso 1600 and 3200 and some of the shots really arnt too bad.