Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #1

few questions on k100d

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a k100d to replace my mz50 and im wondering if you can hold the shutter open for extended periods of time like i can with the mz50 with a remote shutter cable.
Also is the k100d a good point to start out with for a digital novice who wants nice pictures as good as the mz50's, im wanting to use my 50 and 200 lenses with the new dslr
Does the k100d have any flaws other than small buffer and bad low light whites
If i buy a camera should it have the latest firmware already or will i have to ask the sales man to install it? i want to use a ultra III i gig sdcard in it.
Im thinking of buying one from ted's cameras in melbourne
Could anyone from Melbourne tell me where is the best place to buy cameras from?
sorry for all the questions, new to dslr
thanks

05-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlinejames Quote
I'm looking at buying a k100d to replace my mz50 and im wondering if you can hold the shutter open for extended periods of time like i can with the mz50 with a remote shutter cable.
Yes you can, just put the camera in manual mode (M) and dial the shutter speed to bulb.

Also is the k100d a good point to start out with for a digital novice who wants nice pictures as good as the mz50's
Its a great camera to start out with. Just dont expect too much from your first lot of shots taken with it. Give yourself a chance to learn how the camera works in different situations. It will be a bit different coming from film.

im wanting to use my 50 and 200 lenses with the new dslr
No problems there, should work just fine.

If i buy a camera should it have the latest firmware already or will i have to ask the sales man to install it? i want to use a ultra III i gig sdcard in it.
Dont know about this one. If it doesnt, then its not too difficult to install the latest version yourself.
05-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It has bulb mode, yes.

Afaik, it's an excellent camera, but as you noted, a small buffer.
The firmware is easy enough for anyone to install. Just put a file on the SD card and turn the camera on while holding the menu button.

The Extreme III's may be unnecessary in the K100D. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the camera is fast enough to fully utilize the speed of those cards. The Ultra II cards should perhaps suit the camera better. (All depends on how cheap you can get the extreme cards ofcourse. If there is little or no difference, get the extreme card. If it's twice the price, get the ultras)
05-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
Also is the k100d a good point to start out with for a digital novice who wants nice pictures as good as the mz50's, im wanting to use my 50 and 200 lenses with the new dslr
Yes, but also a good camera for advanced shooters, I think.

QuoteQuote:
Does the k100d have any flaws other than small buffer and bad low light whites
Yes, it's not perfect, though, see my following pages which I hope can sum up most of the pros and cons of the K100D:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K100D

As for the White Balance IQ, it's actually a non-issue for shooting RAW. For shooting jpeg, the preset WB settings or even manual WB will do the job.

QuoteQuote:
A Sandisk Ultra III in the K100D is a waste as the K100D is a very slow DSLR (nearest slowest in the market and with the smallest buffer). As for the SD card write speed differences for different card, see this:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K100D SD Card Write Speed Test

As for firmware update, just go to Pentax's support website, download the firmware and update *strictly* according to the procedures as described in the Pentax's official website. It's very easy but you *must* be very careful for do it for the first time, especially you should use a fresh set of batteries to do so, Lithium CR-V3 or AA lithium preferred, to place safe.

05-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

i want to use a ultra III i gig sdcard in it.
There's no point to use such fast card in K100D because K100D is not fast enough to take advantage of such card speed. ~66x is speed limit for K100d.
Im thinking of buying one from ted's cameras in melbourne Could anyone from Melbourne tell me where is the best place to buy cameras from?
I've got my K10D from JB HiFi Cameras in downtown Melbourne (elizabeth/lonsdale street I think) for much better price than Ted's. Starting price was the same, however JB Hifi dropped their price considerably lower after short haggle
05-23-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
however JB Hifi dropped their price considerably lower after short haggle
"Haggle" being the key word there. Probably the best thing you can do when purchasing camera gear. Its amazing just how much they will take off the price to ensure that they get a sale.
05-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
I was looking at either the k100d body only or the mega zoom kit for $1000
Ted's Camera Stores Australia - Digital SLR
do these prices seem ok, ill try jb hifi tomorrow to see what they will do
They only seem to be matching the pentax up with sigma lenses, wondering why they arent pentax lenses
how do sigma lenses compare
thanks for all the comments been very helpful
05-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was looking at either the k100d body only or the mega zoom kit for $1000
Ted's Camera Stores Australia - Digital SLR
do these prices seem ok, ill try jb hifi tomorrow to see what they will do
They only seem to be matching the pentax up with sigma lenses, wondering why they arent pentax lenses
how do sigma lenses compare
thanks for all the comments been very helpful
I would prefer original Pentax lenses over 3rd parties, especially the kit lens DA 18-55 is something that I think we must get for its highest price-performance ratio.

The lens is fairly sharp, accurate in colours and it's damn cheap when you purchase it as a kit with the K100. It's focal range is the most useful. Nonetheless, there is no free lunch on Earth, the cons of it is more obvious vignetting at 18mm (the FAJ 18-35 is quite better here) and the higher distortion at wide angles.

Anyway, the DA 18-55 is a lens which I am always recommending for any new users. As for superzooms, I think the optical quality could not on a par with this cheapest original Pentax lens anyway!

05-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I would prefer original Pentax lenses over 3rd parties, especially the kit lens DA 18-55 is something that I think we must get for its highest price-performance ratio.

The lens is fairly sharp, accurate in colours and it's damn cheap when you purchase it as a kit with the K100. It's focal range is the most useful. Nonetheless, there is no free lunch on Earth, the cons of it is more obvious vignetting at 18mm (the FAJ 18-35 is quite better here) and the higher distortion at wide angles.

Anyway, the DA 18-55 is a lens which I am always recommending for any new users. As for superzooms, I think the optical quality could not on a par with this cheapest original Pentax lens anyway!
The only thing is, you will pretty much be out of luck if you are looking to buy a pentax camera in australia with the pentax kit lens. They are all packaged with sigmas. Then again, you can buy it separately for like AU $250 i think
05-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
The only thing is, you will pretty much be out of luck if you are looking to buy a pentax camera in australia with the pentax kit lens. They are all packaged with sigmas. Then again, you can buy it separately for like AU $250 i think
Well, situation changed lately. To be more precise: situation changed with introduction of K10D. More flexible camera shops are offering DA 18-55, DA 16-45 as kit lenses.
05-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, situation changed lately. To be more precise: situation changed with introduction of K10D. More flexible camera shops are offering DA 18-55, DA 16-45 as kit lenses.
Still not in Australia though. I mean, sure there is the odd store that will have a pentax camera packaged with a pentax lens, but more often than not they come with a sigma lens of some sort.

And even when they are packaged with a pentax lens, they seem to think they can charge even more for it.
05-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Still not in Australia though. I mean, sure there is the odd store that will have a pentax camera packaged with a pentax lens, but more often than not they come with a sigma lens of some sort.
I am talking about Melbourne I have stayed there for more than a year and returned back home just in April. There's no problem at all in Melbourne to get Pentax DSLR bundled with Pentax lens. I myself bought K10D bundled with DA 16-45.
Before introduction of K10D situation really was as you describe: K100D, DS, DL, all were with Sigma 18-50, Pentax lenses were not even an option. However in December things changed For example:
Pentax K10D | Camera-Warehouse
05-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am talking about Melbourne I have stayed there for more than a year and returned back home just in April. There's no problem at all in Melbourne to get Pentax DSLR bundled with Pentax lens. I myself bought K10D bundled with DA 16-45.
Before introduction of K10D situation really was as you describe: K100D, DS, DL, all were with Sigma 18-50, Pentax lenses were not even an option. However in December things changed For example:
Pentax K10D | Camera-Warehouse
Well its still tricky to get in Brisbane.

But thanks for the link, i might print that page out and take it to one of the local shops that has a habit of beating internet prices. May even be able to get the k10 + 16-45 together for a bit less
05-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K100D at Ted's Brisbane with the notorious Sigma 18-50 but found out later that they were also offering the DA 18-55 in packages, so opted for that with the Sigma 70-300. No doubt the DA 18-55 is a better lens - if Ted's Melbourne offers it, go for it - the $75-$100 difference is definitely worth it. Ted's had the best deal at that time.

I've been using Class 4 SD cards at present and, yes they are a little slow shooting RAW, but for my purposes (and probably yours), a 3-shot burst is quite sufficient to capture whatever action is going on, and a 4-5 second delay to take another shot is not too much of an issue. I'm actually going to trial a Class 6 card soon and see if that speeds things up, but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Finally, prices are going down, and I'm sure you'll find the bundle for less than I paid for it in January ($1100 for K100D + DA 18-55 + Sigma 30-700). Let us know how you go...
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
I am the proud owner of a k100d, i bought one from JB-hifi for $900, i bought the k100d and a sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 dc lens that was sold with the k100d, also got a sandisk ultra II 2 gb sdcard, sony 4 pack nimh batteries and charger that can be charged from 240 or 12 volts, and also got a 5 year warranty on the camera

The problem i got is which lens to keep, and which one to sell with my mz50 film camera
I have the sigma 18-50 ( bought with k100d ), sigma 28-80(macro) lens, and a sigma 100-300 4.5-6.7 DL lens, the later 2 have uv filters which don't fit the new lens which is a 58 against the other 2 being 55's
What would you sell with the old mz50
thanks

Last edited by onlinejames; 05-25-2007 at 09:52 PM.