Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #241
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry I can't read Japanese so you need to enlighten me.

Yes I'm sorry, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing or talking about and should just mail my gear to you. You use the feature so clearly you know much more than I do with. What's your address so I can send my stuff to someone with such vastly better understanding of photography than I have.

09-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's typical marketing. I saw it already. They name K-x "MIDDLE CLASS" camera. Isn't it funny?
No any words that it's camera for beginners, first of all.
Pentax doesn't claim the K-x is a mid-level camera at all. This was just a chart to show how the K-x is positioned compared to the competition at different price points based on the 4 criteria.
I think you're reading too much into it and coming up with your own conclusions.
09-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #243
Forum Member

Firstly, this thread is going to go around in circles till the next model comes out. Then it will start again.

stop the petty arguing. everyone has a different requirement/opinion. Just wait and see what happens.

Now, I *think* I am the target market for this camera. Currently use an old Canon S2IS P&S, had my heart set on a K7 kit, but it's out of my league, and could potentially be a waste of money. I like the sounds of the pentax lenses, the video, the weather proofing (spend 2/3rds of my time in Africa, where it's either dusty, or muddy, and raining), and the AF performance vs K20D.

Then this little beauty comes along. No weather proofing? no problem, I'll just be more careful. It has video, great. It uses the sames lenses as the K7, great. It reportedly will have good high iso performance, great. It doesn't have AF selection points in the viewfinder. Doesn't have what? No big deal. If I see a need for them, I will put it on my wishlist for when my skillset exceeds the camera. In 10 years time maybe.

The one thing keeping me from getting a K20D secondhand was lack of video (and AF issues). Have two young kids it's handy having easy access to video without needing to carry two camera bags!

So on the behalf of the target market, all you amateur enthusiasts who are complaining about little things here and there that are missing from a $650 camera, go out and buy a K7. or a D300. or a 5d mk2. we dont care!

Tim.
09-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #244
Veteran Member

It also mean that Pentax doesn't made a new line of battery and charger to ship with the camera; Package weight less to ship, smaller packaging = cut cost

If K-x get even smaller it won't fit in my hand right for sure..

It's fine for K200D, it has WR and battery grip. Good field camera.
But small LiOn battery will be better for beginners.
LiOn could make K-x even smaller.

AA = it means the customer need to buy NiMh accumulators and charger.
Additonal expense.

09-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #245
Veteran Member

It's time to put this thread in a time capsule, and come back to it after the holidays to see who was right...
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #246
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

There's a good idea.
09-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #247
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax doesn't claim the K-x is a mid-level camera at all. This was just a chart to show how the K-x is positioned compared to the competition at different price points based on the 4 criteria.
I think you're reading too much into it and coming up with your own conclusions.
Pentax support has comfirmed that this is intended to be an entry level replacement for the K-m/K2000: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/74173-confirmation-pen...placement.html

09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #248
Veteran Member

It's not good reference for you as photograher.

The official position of Hoya means NO ANY K200D replacement. IMO.
The official position of Hoya is to actually keep their upcoming products a secret - did you know about the K-x before it came out? Then what do you know what is in store? It has always been pentax' choice to beat the direct competition on features and price, meaning the K-x is, in fact, their new entry level model - which they have officially stated.

*edited because I am biting my tongue (in reference to the first sentence quoted)*
09-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I'm not sure how big, but on Flickr the K200D does very well for a Pentax, coming in very close to the K20D.
OK, those aren't sales figures, and as mentioned may have a certain "slant" to them in that Flickr is probably used disproportionately by the sort of "serious amateur" the K200D targets. But even taken at face value, consider: being priced at something like half the K20D when it was released, shouldn't the K200D have sold *far better* than the K20D? Would it be more typical for the entry level or mid-range models to sell in *greater* quantities than the top-of-the-line model?

Anyhow, like I said, Flickr usages stats are not sales numbers, and really, how well the K200D did or did not sell isn't really the point. I'm hoping (!) this thread is on its way to winding down. People have made their points clearly and for the most part rationally and even eloquently. Some will find the K-x specs to their liking, others won't, and that's OK. Let's try to leave it at that, and let people make their own minds up.
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #250
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Ok everyone, Have we staked out our positions well enough? Before this gets any more personal and testy, I think it's time to move on. The arguments are going in circles.

If you disagree with me, please feel free to send me a PM but for now we'll close this one.
Closed Thread