Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by manumon77 Quote
wow... i hope it would be better that my k200d... had been waiting for an upgrade with AA batteries...
Except it has the same AF system as the K200D so no improvement there.
As well, no assist lamp.
AF points not superimposed on the viewfinder.

These are the exact items almost all review sites used to send the K-M/2000 to the barely recommended camp. It is a step across and a step down from the K200D.

The Pentax AF weakness is still there, especially in low light. though they had the means to improve it.

No direct switch for stabilisation either. I can live without the top LCD if it helps keep the size down.

Another major step down from the K200D: no WR.

I think this model is going to get mixed reviews. All around very good, with those caveats that make buyers think twice about "the flaw" (AF system).

09-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,074
It's K-m size is a bit too small for me, but what's it's packing beneath its body is awesome.
Apart from size, I would seriously consider this, rather than wait for the K-7 to drop in price.
Great-looking camera.
Should be a big hit, certainly in Japan.
09-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 490
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
It's human nature to believe that our personal preferences are universal but no they're not. This camera will sell like hot cakes (just like K-m before it) because it's small, cute, different from others and offers a real kicka$$ (performance+quality)/price ratio. In between the 49 out of 100 new users using a dslr for the first time that use the central point only (most of them without any intention of recompose) and another 49 out of 100 who'll use Live View stay 2 disgruntled forum users that moan about this feature not being available.

Please understand me correctly it's not like you're wrong or something just you can bet that this feature is not too popular among the users that this camera targets and including it would of meant further complications in the interface and added cost. Besides I am pretty sure that you can select via back LCD the desired point if you like and I bet it won't take very much to do that.

Radu
well, concerning the newcomers' knowledge about dslrs, you are right, but I was talking about the reviewers..
and public opinions about that camera, that otherwise would have been incredibly amazing, now, reviewers will have what to say negative about that amazing little cam.

what's the difference 5 or 11 focus points if you cannot see any of them?

of course let's hope that in the liveview, they are showed,

or at least in the viewfinder, some black dots are visible in the places where they are...
I guess that would not cost much.. just to make black dots, in the viewfinder, that are visible all the time.. without superimposing any of them...

but that would solve much..
09-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Except it has the same AF system as the K200D so no improvement there.
As well, no assist lamp.
AF points not superimposed on the viewfinder.

These are the exact items almost all review sites used to send the K-M/2000 to the barely recommended camp. It is a step across and a step down from the K200D.

The Pentax AF weakness is still there, especially in low light. though they had the means to improve it.

No direct switch for stabilisation either. I can live without the top LCD if it helps keep the size down.

Another major step down from the K200D: no WR.

I think this model is going to get mixed reviews. All around very good, with those caveats that make buyers think twice about "the flaw" (AF system).
I think you are mostly wrong in your analyze. You see an entry level camera through an experienced user's eyes and the results cannot be fair. Some points:

- Most likely the AF system is akin to that of the K-m (but with more points). Pentax has the (bad) habit of using Safox 8 name for a lot of different AF systems and I am sure that a *istD won't hold a candle to the K-m in AF in any mode although on paper they have both a Safox 8 onboard. So I expect performance at least at K-m level or better by no means at K200D level. As I recall K-m is good enough in low light and on par with camera of its class anyway.
- SR switch for such a camera is a joke it not only uses precious space and needs internal connections but will also be much easier to switch off by unexperienced users (who'll latter complain about how blurred their pictures are).
- Adding w.s. means not only extensive redesign of the camera body and added weight (although not that much) but also giving up the DA L line of lenses that are made to be very cost effective (cheap). I bet price comes before weather sealing in any statistics about this class of cameras and the prices are very competitive for the kit and dual kit versions.
- AF points - well I said what I believe about this couple of post before. For people like us it's a big deal for the most first time users not at all (IMO).

Radu

09-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 879
I don't know why you are all going on with this incessant rant about AF when the people this camera is obviously aimed at probably couldnt care less. For the average user this is not an issue. They will sell a heap of these cameras and really put Pentax back in the mix. Don't worry about the features of this camera, start thinking about what next!!!!
09-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #21
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
well, concerning the newcomers' knowledge about dslrs, you are right, but I was talking about the reviewers..
and public opinions about that camera, that otherwise would have been incredibly amazing, now, reviewers will have what to say negative about that amazing little cam.

what's the difference 5 or 11 focus points if you cannot see any of them?

of course let's hope that in the liveview, they are showed,

or at least in the viewfinder, some black dots are visible in the places where they are...
I guess that would not cost much.. just to make black dots, in the viewfinder, that are visible all the time.. without superimposing any of them...

but that would solve much..
I assume that the stencil in the OVF will provide some guidance for where the AF points are, but is not as good as the real deal by a long shot. Like I said IMO it's all about the cost and intended user target.

Radu
09-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
This is a killer camera. The reality is that entry level photographers are not interested in selectable auto focus points or, for that matter in weather sealing. They are interested in live view, video, fast frames per second, and small. This is not a camera for professional photographers (although some will get it and use it well). It is a camera for those moving into the dSLR ranks who will primarily use the camera in auto/green mode.

For the price, this camera has an awful lot to offer and stacks up amazingly well, even against cameras that are quite a bit more expensive. I think it is going to hit the market in a big way and get a whole new wave of photographers interested in Pentax.
09-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I think you are mostly wrong in your analyze. You see an entry level camera through an experienced user's eyes and the results cannot be fair. Some points:

- Most likely the AF system is akin to that of the K-m (but with more points). Pentax has the (bad) habit of using Safox 8 name for a lot of different AF systems and I am sure that a *istD won't hold a candle to the K-m in AF in any mode although on paper they have both a Safox 8 onboard. So I expect performance at least at K-m level or better by no means at K200D level. As I recall K-m is good enough in low light and on par with camera of its class anyway.
- SR switch for such a camera is a joke it not only uses precious space and needs internal connections but will also be much easier to switch off by unexperienced users (who'll latter complain about how blurred their pictures are).
- Adding w.s. means not only extensive redesign of the camera body and added weight (although not that much) but also giving up the DA L line of lenses that are made to be very cost effective (cheap). I bet price comes before weather sealing in any statistics about this class of cameras and the prices are very competitive for the kit and dual kit versions.
- AF points - well I said what I believe about this couple of post before. For people like us it's a big deal for the most first time users not at all (IMO).

Radu
Except it is NOT entry-level, not at those price points. So right off the bat you've made an error in assumption.

It loses features from the K200D at the same price point, and gains some. Problem is, it loses features it did not need to lose, that the competition has on their equivalent models, and which have been a sore spot for Pentax reviews.

Immediately, the DP Review site picked this up and stated it in negative terms. They have a model in their hands, so they zeroed in on what has made problems for Pentax in the past. The Safox VIII system is not equal to the competition at this price point. If they'd paired the new sensor with the phase detect system of the K-7, and added an AF assist, then the whole low-light, AF criticism of Pentax would go away........POOF!

09-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Outside Japan it comes in four colours and all with matching lenses. That's pretty cool styling. And did everyone notice the new model DA L 55-300mm lens comes in a kit as well? That's a very good move to get people into real telephoto range (one of the advantages of APS-C) and with excellent IQ.

I am surprised that this still takes AA batteries; that will make a lot of people happy.

So long as it still is quite small, I am getting very interested. I wonder if it has the new K-7 shutter? That would be the icing for me.
09-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Ha! This is an amusing and brilliant idea!

QuoteQuote:
The K-x features a new Cross Process mode that automatically and randomly adds finishing touches to exposures to create eye-catching images with unique, intriguing colors (just like images treated with Cross Process in film photography). This mode adds a whimsical element to digital photography since photographers don't know the results until the captured image is actually displayed on the camera's LCD monitor.
09-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Except it is NOT entry-level, not at those price points. So right off the bat you've made an error in assumption.

It loses features from the K200D at the same price point, and gains some. Problem is, it loses features it did not need to lose, that the competition has on their equivalent models, and which have been a sore spot for Pentax reviews.

Immediately, the DP Review site picked this up and stated it in negative terms. They have a model in their hands, so they zeroed in on what has made problems for Pentax in the past. The Safox VIII system is not equal to the competition at this price point. If they'd paired the new sensor with the phase detect system of the K-7, and added an AF assist, then the whole low-light, AF criticism of Pentax would go away........POOF!
It is entry level, as far as price. While it is launching at 600 dollars for the body, it will no doubt end up selling in the 500 dollar range which is by any standard entry level. Just remember that the Nikon D40, with its crippled body and 6 megapixel sensor still sells for 450+ dollars. Whether this camera fits every one who is looking to enter the dSLR market is unknown, but I think it will fit a whole lot better than the weird step child, the K200 ever did.
09-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I assume that the stencil in the OVF will provide some guidance for where the AF points are, but is not as good as the real deal by a long shot. Like I said IMO it's all about the cost and intended user target.
I'm guessing the AF points are displayed in LV mode. Pentax is likely guessing that the intended market for the camera (upgraders from P&S) will mostly use LV.

The big question mark is how much drain LV will put on the AAs. In that respect, it's probably a good thing the LCD is not 3"/930k pixels.
09-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 119
Why no AF display?

I completely disagree with the rationalization that because it is aimed as an entry level body that the lack of AF points being visible is acceptable. I would have rather seen less focus points (ie same as the K-m) but with visible selection if anything.

All the other features look stellar, and this would have been an ideal candidate for me as a minimal size/weight body when I camp and hike. The lack of visible AF selection may not necessarily be a deal breaker, but seriously cripples the usefulness IMHO.

Even if we held the entry level segment argument, all of the Pentax bodies in the past took into account that the user would grow ino the features of the body. The info button on the K-m is case in point.

As a long time user of the Pentax system on the verge of switching or carrying 2 systems, there is certainly a lot that is compelling about the K-7 (although now that it seems clear the Pentax-Samsung relationship is dissolving, this may bring a completely new element to the equation), but their smaller bodies seem to be missing the mark... m4/3 might end up being the weapon of choice with an adapter to bring over the Pentax pancakes...
09-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 490
ok, did anyone notice KAF3 lens mount... what does that mean? am I missing something, or there will be some new connector or something.. for somewhat different lenses.. like USM2 silent and quick..

since K20d and K-7 has only KAF2...?

or is it a typing mistake?

Pentax announces K-x entry level DSLR: Digital Photography Review
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, pentax, photography, review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Thoughts audio.mann Post Your Photos! 1 06-28-2010 08:09 AM
Having second thoughts on K-7. barondla Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 07-27-2009 09:35 PM
My thoughts on the K-7 Mikke Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 07-25-2009 02:50 AM
First thoughts... jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-10-2009 06:59 PM
thoughts of beyond. distorted_vision Post Your Photos! 16 05-29-2008 03:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top