Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #31
Forum Member

Too bad they didn't have this sensor on the K-7. I think that the Sony sensor on the K-x is better than the Samsung in the K-7.

09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KAF3 Mount

Interesting... Didn't catch that one on the spec sheet. This would seem to indicate that there is no AF support for old screw-drive mount lenses. If I'm not mistaken, the mount nomenclature is as follows:

KAF - screw mount AF
KAF2 - SDM and screw mount compatible
KAF3 - SDM only
09-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #33
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
Interesting... Didn't catch that one on the spec sheet. This would seem to indicate that there is no AF support for old screw-drive mount lenses. If I'm not mistaken, the mount nomenclature is as follows:

KAF - screw mount AF
KAF3 - SDM only
Would the conclusion then be that these new kit lenses would be SDM? I find that VERY difficult to believe. Or did I misinterpret this?
09-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #34
Banned

I cant imagine these not selling like mad in Japan, with all these color combos. christ, Pentax is pulling out all the stops with this one.

018 is bitchin'. green body and brown grip. Leica Safari style. id love to get my hands on one of those. it looks like Pentax will also be offering a number of coloured bodies for the lenses as well. really cool.

09-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is entry level, as far as price. While it is launching at 600 dollars for the body, it will no doubt end up selling in the 500 dollar range which is by any standard entry level. Just remember that the Nikon D40, with its crippled body and 6 megapixel sensor still sells for 450+ dollars. Whether this camera fits every one who is looking to enter the dSLR market is unknown, but I think it will fit a whole lot better than the weird step child, the K200 ever did.
The new Olympus, D3000, and the Canon Xsi are $450 or less for the body and still in production.

I have an ad for a D40 with VR kit lens for CAN $375 in a flyer right in front of me this morning. That is entry-level DSLR right now (and a superb low-light camera, I might add, because I owned one and it beats my K200D).

The K-x sits in exactly the same price point as the K200D when it arrived, when the K110 Super was still lingering, and the K-M was slotted below the K200D.

It's a mid-range model. The K-m will linger in production.

The K200D had WR, a top LCD, more manual controls, AA batteries, and got one of DP Reviews most glowing reviews, all at an excellent price. The K-M with its crippled AF got a terrible review.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 09-17-2009 at 07:13 AM.
09-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Would the conclusion then be that these new kit lenses would be SDM? I find that VERY difficult to believe. Or did I misinterpret this?
The AF coupling "screw" can be seen in the images of the front of the camera on this site: digitalkamera.de: Die neue Einstiegs-DSLR Pentax K-x treibt's bunt und dreht Videos

It's the lone "dot" at about 4:30 o'clock on the mount.
09-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
Too bad they didn't have this sensor on the K-7. I think that the Sony sensor on the K-x is better than the Samsung in the K-7.
How do you know that the Sony sensor in the K-x is better than the Samsung one in the K-7? There are no real thorough information about that yet because the K-x is too new. I would be very surprise if the K-x does produce better image quality than the K-7, which I highly doubt. I recently spent 450 on a new Samsung GX-20 although this K-x can record videos, have liveview, faster continuous shooting, and probably better low-light AF. If it is true that the K-x does produce better quality images with it's Sony sensor, I will return the GX-20 and buy the K-x instead.
09-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I hope it at least comes near the A500 (the sensor it supposedly shares) noise wise, otherwise it would be quite a dissapointment.

09-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

KAF - screw mount AF
KAF3 - SDM only
pentax's website says:
Lens Mount PENTAX KAF2 bayonet mount
09-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #40
Inactive Account

KAF2 Bayonet

Thanks for clarifying Eruditass, my previous post was in response to Mystic's

KAF2 Bayonet makes more sense as an SDM only mount would have limited the body to the DA* and the 17-70.

Still holding out hope that the selectabel AF points are visible in the VF...
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I don't think dslrs can be classified in three levels anymore (entry, mid-range, pro). The D3000 and Xsi don't have video, which is a demand many younger users will have in a camera. Of the class of cameras that do (d5000, t1i) the k-x matches up well. So, if one wants entry-level with video (a new category?), the k-x is a very good option, as it matches specs and price competitively with those cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The new Olympus, D3000, and the Canon Xsi are $450 or less for the body and still in production.

I have an ad for a D40 with VR kit lens for CAN $375 in a flyer right in front of me this morning. That is entry-level DSLR right now (and a superb low-light camera, I might add, because I owned one and it beats my K200D).

The K-x sits in exactly the same price point as the K200D when it arrived, when the K110 Super was still lingering, and the K-M was slotted below the K200D.

It's a mid-range model. The K-m will linger in production.

The K200D had WR, a top LCD, more manual controls, AA batteries, and got one of DP Reviews most glowing reviews, all at an excellent price. The K-M with its crippled AF got a terrible review.
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I don't think dslrs can be classified in three levels anymore (entry, mid-range, pro). The D3000 and Xsi don't have video, which is a demand many younger users will have in a camera. Of the class of cameras that do (d5000, t1i) the k-x matches up well. So, if one wants entry-level with video (a new category?), the k-x is a very good option, as it matches specs and price competitively with those cameras.
Not to mention that many of the cameras he mentioned have been out for a little while already (or ages--I mean, the D40? come on...). When the K-x has been out as long as the D40 has been, it'll be as cheap or cheaper. This is a CHEAP and feature-packed entry-level cam.

And I'm not sure what he's on about with the K-m's crippled AF. It does lack the overlays, yes, but it also has faster AF than any Pentax dSLR except the K-7.
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Still holding out hope that the selectabel AF points are visible in the VF...
They clearly are not, acccoring to both hands-on previews at DPReview and Imaging-Resource.

I have not yet read anywhere about their visibility in LiveView mode.
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juice Quote
I think this is a kickass move from Pentax. If they can get their marketing engine in gear, this would be a very serious contender against the C&N entry-level models.
I agree, one thing I don't understand, however, is why Pentax would have introduced two consumer grade WR lenses (the DA 18-55 F3.5 - 5.6 WR and 50-200 F4 - 5.6 ED WR) and not have a consumer grade WR body to go along with it. Could this suggest that another mid range WR body is in the offing?
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

if it has an external plug for stereo audio, I will just go for it and forget about K-7.
Closed Thread