Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

It doesn't. Internal mono only, say the specs.

09-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
The lack of visible AF selection may not necessarily be a deal breaker, but seriously cripples the usefulness IMHO.
If you're a beginner the auto AF point selection is fine. If you're a pro then just set the body to centre point AF and use it like every other camera in history.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I agree, one thing I don't understand, however, is why Pentax would have introduced two consumer grade WR lenses (the DA 18-55 F3.5 - 5.6 WR and 50-200 F4 - 5.6 ED WR) and not have a consumer grade WR body to go along with it.
I wonder why they have no less than four versions of the same kit lens. Really, I don't think we can expect logic from Pentax. That is part of their charm!

A 77mm focal length? I mean, WTF? Who would use that?
09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #48

I think the lack of weather sealing is a huge mistake. From what I've seen, that's the one huge selling point that entry level people DO care about. The ability to not worry about the rain, the beach, or mud, is HUGE when you are used to treating your camera as a tiny thing that fits in your bag or pocket and not an investment.
09-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I think the lack of weather sealing is a huge mistake. From what I've seen, that's the one huge selling point that entry level people DO care about. The ability to not worry about the rain, the beach, or mud, is HUGE when you are used to treating your camera as a tiny thing that fits in your bag or pocket and not an investment.
True, I introduced my co-worker to my K2000 and he was quite interested, then he looked on their website and saw dust/weatherproof and got real excited. But he does a lot of hiking.

09-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
I completely disagree with the rationalization that because it is aimed as an entry level body that the lack of AF points being visible is acceptable. I would have rather seen less focus points (ie same as the K-m) but with visible selection if anything.

All the other features look stellar, and this would have been an ideal candidate for me as a minimal size/weight body when I camp and hike. The lack of visible AF selection may not necessarily be a deal breaker, but seriously cripples the usefulness IMHO.

Even if we held the entry level segment argument, all of the Pentax bodies in the past took into account that the user would grow ino the features of the body. The info button on the K-m is case in point.

As a long time user of the Pentax system on the verge of switching or carrying 2 systems, there is certainly a lot that is compelling about the K-7 (although now that it seems clear the Pentax-Samsung relationship is dissolving, this may bring a completely new element to the equation), but their smaller bodies seem to be missing the mark... m4/3 might end up being the weapon of choice with an adapter to bring over the Pentax pancakes...
I have known many users including entry level and mid-level who do not seem to use the AF selection on other brands. Most just use the auto-AF point selection feature and some use center-AF point and re-frame. I agree with you that if AF-display and selection feature is in K-x, it would definitely out-feature the comparable C&N model. Unfortunately, most first time buyers would not know the significance of this feature and tend to choose other brands as recommended by the sales people (may be a reason why Pentax does not use the same sales channel as C&N)

I personally know people using the auto-AF selection feature almost exclusively who are owners of D200, S5 pro and 5D and 5D MK 2.
09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have known many users including entry level and mid-level who do not seem to use the AF selection on other brands. Most just use the auto-AF point selection feature and some use center-AF point and re-frame. I agree with you that if AF-display and selection feature is in K-x, it would definitely out-feature the comparable C&N model. Unfortunately, most first time buyers would not know the significance of this feature and tend to choose other brands as recommended by the sales people (may be a reason why Pentax does not use the same sales channel as C&N)

I personally know people using the auto-AF selection feature almost exclusively who are owners of D200, S5 pro and 5D and 5D MK 2.
I think this goes against the rationalization that this is for new DSLR folk - those are the ones who will use full autofocus. I, on the other hand, will only use focus point select and know exactly which one I picked.

They should've left this feature in for the new folk, but regardless, I believe they will be announcing the K200D replacement soon. They said there were 2 new cameras and 1 minor update this year. This is the K-m replacement, using the exact same body. K-7 was a whole new body. K200D's body will likely get redone to match the K-x and K-7 and if it is this camera + weathersealing, cable release, etc... I can't wait.
09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
True, I introduced my co-worker to my K2000 and he was quite interested, then he looked on their website and saw dust/weatherproof and got real excited. But he does a lot of hiking.
I guess the K-x appeals to the urbanite with a taste for colour.

Take that red version into the woods and is screams "target practice", especially as there is no camouflage version.

09-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #53
RT1
Forum Member

If this thing had a top LCD, and selectable AF points, and weather proofing, my K200D would be getting sold imediately.

This cam is nice, but it falls short of my expectations from Pentax...essecially on the weather proofing.
09-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is entry level, as far as price. While it is launching at 600 dollars for the body, it will no doubt end up selling in the 500 dollar range which is by any standard entry level. Just remember that the Nikon D40, with its crippled body and 6 megapixel sensor still sells for 450+ dollars. Whether this camera fits every one who is looking to enter the dSLR market is unknown, but I think it will fit a whole lot better than the weird step child, the K200 ever did.
I wonder how many people are still buying new D40? With so many new models from every brand in the last few years, I wonder what goes through their mind before making that purchase decision.
09-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #55
Veteran Member

found out something about mounts...

K, KA, KAF, KAF2, are all options for camera bodies;

KAF3 is an option only for a lens, that is that this lens cannot be controlled via screw driven AF motor in the body...

so, I believe pentax do not have any camera yet that would have only KAF3 mount..

And I believe will not have anytime soon.. or even ever..

however some lenses that will be only SDM powered might appear, and if i'm not mistaken, 17-70mm is already such..
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RT1 Quote
If this thing had a top LCD, and selectable AF points, and weather proofing, my K200D would be getting sold imediately.

This cam is nice, but it falls short of my expectations from Pentax...essecially on the weather proofing.
Stick around for the K200D replacement. This is a K-m update, and nothing was toned down from the K-m. There were supposed to be 2 new cameras and 1 update this year.
09-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I think this goes against the rationalization that this is for new DSLR folk - those are the ones who will use full autofocus. I, on the other hand, will only use focus point select and know exactly which one I picked.
Actually, I do the opposite; use autofocus selection only when the subject is moving or hard to track. I want to be in control with DOF and subject isolation. Nothing wrong with your approach, just a personal preference.

They should've left this feature in for the new folk, but regardless, I believe they will be announcing the K200D replacement soon. They said there were 2 new cameras and 1 minor update this year. This is the K-m replacement, using the exact same body. K-7 was a whole new body. K200D's body will likely get redone to match the K-x and K-7 and if it is this camera + weathersealing, cable release, etc... I can't wait.
This reminds me of industry practice in Japan (or in Asia), to create a product culture which consumers can relate to; something similar to Honda, where the product itself can support a suite of customization for various purposes. The fact that there are 100 color schemes available only in Japan is an indication that they are moving in that direction. This is a good thing and exciting as far as I am concern; whether it will be successful in N. America, time will tell.
09-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Outside Japan it comes in four colours and all with matching lenses. That's pretty cool styling. And did everyone notice the new model DA L 55-300mm lens comes in a kit as well? That's a very good move to get people into real telephoto range (one of the advantages of APS-C) and with excellent IQ.

I am surprised that this still takes AA batteries; that will make a lot of people happy.

So long as it still is quite small, I am getting very interested. I wonder if it has the new K-7 shutter? That would be the icing for me.
Hi, Robin, I have to agree with you. The fact that it includes also the 55-300mm is a brillant idea - I have a copy of this lens and highly recommend that for traveling.

Although I am getting used to the Lithium battery on the K10D, and still find the AA battery option good to use as backup (I still have the K100D).

I am also pleased that Pentax keep the size small (similar to K-m) - and they likely will keep that tradition of exquisite model in small package, but not sacrifying quality as in other brand names. Although some may argue that it is too small (especially those users with bigger hands). I think we all said the same thing about a year ago that the 10 inch or 12 inch laptop are not going to sell since the keyboard and screen were too small for most users. The fact that one can travel light is getting more attention from potential buyers - I am seeing that trend now.
09-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I recently spent 450 on a new Samsung GX-20 although this K-x can record videos, have liveview, faster continuous shooting, and probably better low-light AF. If it is true that the K-x does produce better quality images with it's Sony sensor, I will return the GX-20 and buy the K-x instead.
where did you find a new Samsung GX-20 for 450?
amazon.com is selling them at about $900

thats a pretty good deal you got.
09-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Actually, I do the opposite; use autofocus selection only when the subject is moving or hard to track. I want to be in control with DOF and subject isolation. Nothing wrong with your approach, just a personal preference.

Which exact situation do you prefer to have indicators?

If the subject is moving or hard to track like a jet or RF plane and there is nothing that can come in the foreground, then you can use full AF because it can go from one AF point to the other and its pretty unlikely you will miss focus, unless there are multiple planes, but all the indicator will do is tell you which one is in focus. If it tells you the wrong one is, you can wait then snap a picture. Without the indicator, you just take the picture and maybe it turns out better than you wanted.

If there are things coming in-front of the object you are trying to focus on that is moving (sports with lots of people) then you would never want to use full AF because it will focus on other people, and you want to specify the exact point (or maybe a set of points), otherwise it will focus on completely random people that I dont want to focus on. I will be snapping away pictures anyway, so I'm not going to even look for a red indicator and decide to not click since I'm in AF-C anyway. And generally I can keep them on the AF point. Well, that was my experience with the D90 - I didn't care for the indicators.
Closed Thread