Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #91
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

We've now posted the tech specs here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-reviews/73845-pentax-k-x.html

Great to see that Pentax is trying to market more quality cameras at the entry level, but where's that full-frame? Pentax has always had a habit of releasing a high-end camera, and the following it with a cheaper version with some feature stripped out: this seems like yet another instance of this (although it's getting better now, since they're making the entry-level distinction!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Why cripple the AF when no other competitor does so? Find the logic.
to get a camera as well-speced as the K-x out cheaply enough, something has to go. Everyone cuts something. I get that your religion is such that losing AF indicators is the worst possible thing to leave out, but in my book, it's not even in the top 100 compared to other features you could point at (eg, cameras that lack SR, cameras that lack DOF preview, cameras that lack spot metering, cameras that lack orientation sensors, cameras that lack support for older lenses, etc, etc).

QuoteQuote:
This is why Canon is so successful. The market-driven machine they are would never accept such a crippling for fear of utility function comparison.
Yeah, that's why all Canon cameras have always featured spot meters, AF assist lamps, in body SR, and have always had the biggest viewfinders in their class ... *not*.
09-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I don't find the K-x to be a stripped down version of the K-7 at all.
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

Yeah, that's why all Canon cameras have always featured spot meters, AF assist lamps, in body SR, and have always had the biggest viewfinders in their class ... *not*.
Go mention "24p" to some of the 5D2 owners at DPR following the release of the 7D

09-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Haha....I remember one very popular Canon dSLR model (now superceded) did not have spot metering capability; yet it sold extremely well.

Shows you either the power of marketing (anything with a Canon badge is GOOOOD) or the level of knowledge of the buyers (Ummm...what is Spot Metering ?)
09-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #96
Veteran Member

My wife uses a point and shoot to take so so pics...and video of the kids. She would like to take better photographs....do more than take pics of the kids, but my K-7/K20d are too heavy....expensive etc. Here is a simple camera....SR, 720p vid, great screen....

The K-m was a great start...but I see this as the k10d of inexpensive cameras.....it'll bring Pentax the attention we all want.....which will benefit the K-7....645d....etc
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Interesting thing I came across tonight while reading Rangefinder Mag circa 2001. I was aware that Hasselblad came out with a gold edition 500-series cam for their anniversary, but they also came out with 3 special colors right around that time.

That's right...blue, red, and yellow(!) were available if you pleased.

Hasselblad's 503 colour model cameras? Rare? - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140333603185

The Hblad is a serious camera...in bright colors. What say you now?

The
WTF!
TL;DR
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes:
This is exactly the quote you do NOT want to see the day of product launch, from Imaging Resource (and a more tactful but similar quote from DPR):

Since almost every other camera on the market gives some kind of indication of what areas are in focus before I commit to a shot, this just feels like I'm using a broken camera

From a gatekeeper review site that had an advance model, that's a sales-killing quote. It is a marketer's worst nightmare.

But, ooh, the pretty colours!
Clearly, you are the marketing master, telling us how a camera has failed that hasn't been yet sold.

No AF point shown...yawn.

Since we're appearing to be allowing generalities to become fact...I never use anything but the center point. With my *ist focus screen, I'm not sure it even shows up. It's not important.

See how ridiculous making one opinion into fact becomes?

to get a camera as well-speced as the K-x out cheaply enough, something has to go. Everyone cuts something. I get that your religion is such that losing AF indicators is the worst possible thing to leave out, but in my book, it's not even in the top 100 compared to other features you could point at (eg, cameras that lack SR, cameras that lack DOF preview, cameras that lack spot metering, cameras that lack orientation sensors, cameras that lack support for older lenses, etc, etc).

Exactly Marc. Even the loss of the dedicated SR button (I mean...from the 1st and 2nd gens of SR-equipped cams) isn't a deal breaker for me. SR is still in there...still usable...still awesome

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Haha....I remember one very popular Canon dSLR model (now superceded) did not have spot metering capability; yet it sold extremely well.

Shows you either the power of marketing (anything with a Canon badge is GOOOOD) or the level of knowledge of the buyers (Ummm...what is Spot Metering ?)
Brand recognition is HUGE. That's part of our world and how things go.

I look at researching my purchases as being a "connoisseur" in that I learned how to weed through all the marketing and general bullcrap that's out there. Why is Crown Royal always behind the counter and expensive? Cause it's gooooood. (We're not going into Gentlemen Jack or anything like Single Barrel, either! )

This K-x should create some stir...get the name out...bring some business in. Look how Kanye West went from hiding in the studio to the talk of the net in one day!

09-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #98
Veteran Member

The Nikon D5000.

$40 more on the latest quote, and Nikon is notorious for over-pricing in the first 3 months after release. Articulating LCD. A real AF system including excellent low light performance and assist lamp, all black like Henry Ford insisted, same video, similar sensor, HDMI-out, etc.

Sure the K-x is close to the D5000 in specifications and looks but...
The Nikon D5000... poor viewfinder magnification (like looking into a tunnel), no in-body stabilization, no built-in AF motor limits lens choice, AF is nothing to shout about... big deal about the articulating LCD screen... and blimey, it doesn't have weather sealing too.

The K-x isn't even out in the stores yet and you're panning it. If you're so negative about Pentax and enamored by Nikon, well why stick with what make you unhappy.
09-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Becoming convinced this Aristophanes chap is a bit of a troll.
He's just living up to his name - a Greek satirist known for his powers of ridicule. "His powers of ridicule were feared and acknowledged by influential contemporaries". With a username like that what do you expect . It's the interwebs, guys, pure comedy

It's an absolutely cracking little camera and the colour thing gives it a bit of personality. Just use google to see what the masses are saying, looks to me that there's a whole lot of positive reviews out there. Sub US$700 with video HD. Wow. You could do such fabulous marketing with this thing, and I'm actually IN marketing! No it's not for the afficionadoes but it's not meant to be! Pentax can do both, make a rugged beast like the K-7 which has the best weatherprotection around for the segment who want this AND also make a featurepacked competetively priced entrylevel model with heaps of personality.

Last edited by Nass; 09-18-2009 at 02:26 AM.
09-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
to get a camera as well-speced as the K-x out cheaply enough, something has to go. Everyone cuts something.
No they don't. Compare the Nikon D60 to D5000, the latter of which gave up nothing at the same original price point.

Oly E-520 from E-420.

Canon Xsi to T1i.

Name core photographic or design features lost at those price points, especially those that diminished the photographic capabilities.

First preview quote:

Since almost every other camera on the market gives some kind of indication of what areas are in focus before I commit to a shot, this just feels like I'm using a broken camera

And the K200D at this price point last year had them. And still no AF assist to help overcome the persistent Pentax rap of poor low-light AF?
09-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #101
Inactive Account

The Nikon D5000.

Vs. K200D the K-x gains:

1. Sensor
2. Video
3. Pretty colours
4. Terrific size/weight
5. Buffer and AF-C speed
6. In-camera options/menus
7. ISO performance

Losses:

1. WR
2. Direct controls (SR, RAW button)
3. Lens mount quality (w/kit)
4. AF superimposition and choice
5. Optional grip
6. Top LCD

The K-x is a very good camera on paper, and may have an awesome sensor,
You forgot the 2MP gain and CCD sensor loss of K-x.

Right now everything is on paper now as you stated, Being a guy who will be very happy with a Digital Spotmatic F with a great IQ and DR, my choice will be determined by between K-7 and K-x, which one handles Pentax colors better and have better DR winner will be in my hands. Competition between Sony and Samsung sensors will be breathtaking I guess.
09-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Depending on preformance I might get this instead of the K-7 and keep my k20D as an outdoor camera.
09-18-2009, 03:30 AM   #103
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm thinking the same thing. I'd like the video option and my K20D's are just fine as still cameras. I can see this filling a few holes and not costing a bundle. I see this camera suiting a lot of shooters as a second body option as well as the beginner who wants a nicely featured camera. It fills the needs of several customers.

I can't see an external mic jack on this model though. Is that missing?
09-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #104
RaduA

Your logic implies that to go forward with new features at a price point, one should remove features critical to use.

So, theK200D at this same price point has

This makes zero marketing sense. A very useful feature was removed (AF selection and superimposition) which every other competitor's model has, and which as missing from the K-M in such a way that the ratings for the K-M tanked compared to the K200D.

if you've got a successful feature from one generation, don't mess with it. This is a classic shoot yourself in the foot market dumbness. Even more because every single previous review of the same missing quality panned the camera. This Imaging Resource Preview said that explicitly. It's like watching a colourful balloon float up, and then sink with an audible hiss.

Why cripple the AF when no other competitor does so? Find the logic.

This is why Canon is so successful. The market-driven machine they are would never accept such a crippling for fear of utility function comparison. Canon designs camera reviews love, which then subsequently sell well, engineering be darned (I detest their plasticiness).

Pentax seems to find a way to make one thing stick out so much that it colours the marketing possibilities and price options of the entire product line. This single omission will earn it a rating below Canon and Nikon comparative models. People will shop elsewhere (including some current Pentaxians). It does not have to be this way. It's not about what is not there; it's about a feature already there that was taken out.

This the perfect storm of the two things most people accuse Pentax of getting wrong:

1) Substandard AF options
2) Poor marketing
This post made me 100% sure that you're a marketing person (nothing wrong with that except you're not too technically savvy).

1) Canon 1000D is the most neutered entry level camera by a mile long missing lots of BASIC things such as spot metering and having the spectacular 1.5 fps in RAW for a very generous 4 frames buffer. Yes they left nothing behind for sure!

2) Every single C and N entry level miss things like wireless flash (in fact including it in the 7D is regarded as an accomplishment in Canon fora) which we have from the lowly K-m up.

3) No entry level Nikon can AF shaft driven lenses, of course no N or C have in body SR for every lens.

4) Your celebrated D5000 AF has ONE CROSS TYPE sensor and Pentax has 9.

5) Every single Canon camera has AF assist by flash strobe including the new 7D and 5D M2 needs an external flash for that.

All those are not minute details for A LOT of people who know more about cameras than you evidently do. And for the large mass of consumers a pleasant design. a different color or an advice from a friend count more than the whole datasheet of the camera.

If there is one Pentax capable to break into Japanese Top 3 sales that is at this moment the K-x!

Radu
09-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I think we have a new RiceHigh.
Now, now, no swearing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can't see an external mic jack on this model though. Is that missing?
Mono sound and no jack kills video for me. There is no point having video with crap sound. I would have to use a separate recorder in the field, which is by no means impossible. But it takes away from certain low-presence documentary uses I would want to use this camera for.
Closed Thread