Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #106

Help me out here. I don't understand the visible focus point controversy. I want the camera to focus on what I point it at, which is clearly marked at the center of the viewfinder. I have the K2000 now, moving from the K10D. I have also used Canons and Nikons and never used a focus point. Why exactly would you want to focus on something outside the center of the viewfinder? Thanks.

09-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
Help me out here. I don't understand the visible focus point controversy. I want the camera to focus on what I point it at, which is clearly marked at the center of the viewfinder. I have the K2000 now, moving from the K10D. I have also used Canons and Nikons and never used a focus point. Why exactly would you want to focus on something outside the center of the viewfinder? Thanks.
When you don't want to focus/recompose? When you have something moving that you don't want in the middle of the frame? Use your imagination.
09-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #108
Veteran Member

looks like a bad news for sony. Sony A500 and A550 costs at $850 and $1050 respectively.
while Kx is only $650 plus it has a video 720P at 24fps. Sony is overprice especially the A550
09-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Exactly Marc. Even the loss of the dedicated SR button (I mean...from the 1st and 2nd gens of SR-equipped cams) isn't a deal breaker for me. SR is still in there...still usable...still awesome
Thing is, what's a deal breaker to you or me or some random ancient Greek playwright isn't really relevant. *Any* missing feature is a deal breaker to *someone*. On the K-m, for me, it would have been DOF preview and orientation sensor; I really couldn't have cared less about any of the other compromises made. Someone else might not care about those but would balk at the lack of a top LCD. Someone else will find it perfect except that it had no jack for a wired remote. All that is fine, and to be expected - *of course* the camera can't possibly fit everyone's needs. Only a most extreme narcissist assumes that just because a camera lacks some feature *he* considers important, that no one would be interested. But it never ceases to amaze me how many people possess that particular trait.

09-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
No they don't. Compare the Nikon D60 to D5000, the latter of which gave up nothing at the same original price point.
Meaning the D60 was already stripped bare. I didn't mean they cut something from model to model; I mean, something isn't included thst is included in higher models. If you want to look at it that way, then Pentax didn't "cut" anything from the K-x, either - it has every single feature of the K-m it replaces, and then some.

QuoteQuote:
And still no AF assist
Just like Canon, true.
09-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Meaning the D60 was already stripped bare. I didn't mean they cut something from model to model; I mean, something isn't included thst is included in higher models. If you want to look at it that way, then Pentax didn't "cut" anything from the K-x, either - it has every single feature of the K-m it replaces, and then some.
shhh! Stop making apples to apples comparisons. That just makes marketing types get all frothy at the mouth.

He's simple angry because the Kx doesn't have 37% more. Now *that* would be something we could all get excited about. Think of it..."the NEW Pentax Kx - now with 37% MORE!!!"

The ad copy writes itself...
09-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I think he's mainly angry because he's (wrongly) thinking of the K-x as a K200D replacement.

09-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I think he's mainly angry because he's (wrongly) thinking of the K-x as a K200D replacement.
which is DPR's fault, yay!
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Thing is, what's a deal breaker to you or me or some random ancient Greek playwright isn't really relevant. *Any* missing feature is a deal breaker to *someone*. On the K-m, for me, it would have been DOF preview and orientation sensor; I really couldn't have cared less about any of the other compromises made. Someone else might not care about those but would balk at the lack of a top LCD. Someone else will find it perfect except that it had no jack for a wired remote. All that is fine, and to be expected - *of course* the camera can't possibly fit everyone's needs. Only a most extreme narcissist assumes that just because a camera lacks some feature *he* considers important, that no one would be interested. But it never ceases to amaze me how many people possess that particular trait.
I don't mind not having an orientation sensor or DoF preview (but don't take my Digital Preview )

That's the heart of the internet forums...complain about something you'll never buy so that people can get behind you on the issue so you're "not the only one" to "make others aware of serious issues" (sound familiar? ).

The camera doesn't have what you want? There are others out there
09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #115

Anyone have any info on the body only pricing? Looks like a nice backup/video solution to go with the K20d! But i dont need another round of kit lenses regardless of the color
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #116
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by denhamcla Quote
Anyone have any info on the body only pricing? Looks like a nice backup/video solution to go with the K20d! But i dont need another round of kit lenses regardless of the color
I would rethink that, because you could sell the coloured lens for a good penny to someone else.
09-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I would rethink that, because you could sell the coloured lens for a good penny to someone else.
hhmmmmm, not a bad point. I guess time will tell.
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by denhamcla Quote
I've been told by a reliable source that a body-only offering is not in the cards at the moment (but they're not ruling it out for the future).
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #119

Shortly after the K7 came out, the manual in pdf form was available on line. Has anyone found a link to a download of the K-X manual yet?

Just curious. I like to read over them to see what they show about the camera.
09-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #120

pingflood. Not helpful.
Closed Thread