Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Here is my question. Does it matter if you come out with a great camera if you can't see them anywhere? Here in the U.S. at this point, Pentax hardly has any shelf space in any stores. I'm not comfortable pushing a niche product to all of those first time DSLR buyers that ask me for advice. They need to have their products out for people to see.
I was thinking this would sell really well at Best Buy too, now that Ritz is dead...

09-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I was thinking this would sell really well at Best Buy too, now that Ritz is dead...
Yes, it seems that Best Buy would be the main place new DSLR buyers would go to look at Cameras. I think shelf space there is necessary.
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Yes, it seems that Best Buy would be the main place new DSLR buyers would go to look at Cameras. I think shelf space there is necessary.
and online - most technology spend research starts online. For example the WIRED K-7 review had a great influence on my K-7 purchasing decision.

If I were Pentax I'd identify 500 influential online photography review & blog sites and let them borrow/test it. Even give it away to a bunch of people and write it off as a marketing cost. Bottom line, make as much GD noise about it as possible. I'm in marketing myself and I would love to be marketing this thing. Given its release timing, which is perfect for the Christmas period, and its specs, and the 'fashion accessory' potential, this model could do very well indeed. Pentax is way behind on the online curve and needs to up its game. Seriously.

That said I get the feeling that Pentax is cutting back on distis, and that might have a negative impact. Although if it means more margin it might work in its favour, but it's absolutely got to get its fulfillment right on because people do like to touch and feel their new camera before purchasing. I also wonder if it'll take share away from the K-7.

Last edited by Nass; 09-17-2009 at 09:19 AM.
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.
USCG would probably love it, if it was weather sealed.

Cheers. Mike.

09-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #20

agree totally, bright red is a ridiculous colour for a camera, it's loud, it'll scratch, it'll look downright wrong with a Limited or DA* attached...the only thing is - I see it and I really want one.

That's marketing, baby! And I'm happy it's Pentax that's doing it!
09-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
agree totally, bright red is a ridiculous colour for a camera, it's loud, it'll scratch, it'll look downright wrong with a Limited or DA* attached...the only thing is - I see it and I really want one.

That's marketing, baby! And I'm happy it's Pentax that's doing it!
Haha.

Personally I think red looks pretty good with some black on it. I see no reason why the Ltd's wouldn't look fantastic.
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I see we've gone from "Pentax, rugged cameras" to "Pentax, fashion accessory."

C'mon guys, if Canon or Nikon released a camera that won't even show you what focus point is active, but is available in 100 color combinations, with no weather sealing, you'd mock it relentlessly.

More than a few Pentax fans I've chatted with are wondering just what the hell Pentax is thinking with this one. They wanted something like a K-m with good weather sealing.
09-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
More than a few Pentax fans I've chatted with are wondering just what the hell Pentax is thinking with this one. They wanted something like a K-m with good weather sealing.
True, but the reality of the market (and the demographic they are going after) is that 100 color choices will likely trump good weather sealing from a sales standpoint.

09-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
True, but the reality of the market (and the demographic they are going after) is that 100 color choices will likely trump good weather sealing from a sales standpoint.
All I can say is, there better be no more Rebel mocking after this multi-colored plastic disaster.
09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see we've gone from "Pentax, rugged cameras" to "Pentax, fashion accessory."

C'mon guys, if Canon or Nikon released a camera that won't even show you what focus point is active, but is available in 100 color combinations, with no weather sealing, you'd mock it relentlessly.

It wouldn't surprise me to see more peripheral products coming out of the DSLR camera industry that gives more than just feature rich bodies. Pentax is leading the way and I expect other brands to follow.
09-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

All I can say is, there better be no more Rebel mocking after this multi-colored plastic disaster.
Don't be a hater. I'm diggin' me the orange
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It wouldn't surprise me to see more peripheral products coming out of the DSLR camera industry that gives more than just feature rich bodies. Pentax is leading the way and I expect other brands to follow.
Yes, I am sure Nikon is scrambling to round up cans of Krylon for their next DXX release as we speak.

"Leading the way..." -- give me a break. Pentax was heading down a good path with the rugger / weatherproof camera approach, and now they're going all schizophrenic and release this curiosity. Why not just weather seal the K-m and package it with a nice weather sealed prime? They have a chance to carve out a nice niche there, but apparently that's not in the plans... so plastic jewelry it is. What's next, a non-functioning camera that people can carry so they look like photographers? Is that one of your "peripheral products"?

Pentax is supposed to be a creative, inventive camera company that focuses on the needs of serious photographers. This, this is a joke and a slap in the face for those people.

And every review site will highlight the curiously missing AF point indicator, making that the major faux pas of this camera.

Last edited by pingflood; 09-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.
09-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax is supposed to be a creative, inventive camera company that focuses on the needs of serious photographers. This, this is a joke and a slap in the face for those people.
No, I think you have this wrong. Their slogan is "be different." At the higher end, that means weather sealed, small and tough (K7). At the entry level it means cool features (720p video) and different colors (Kx). Both are examples of products that are "different" than the competition.

Pentax is supposed to make money for Hoya. I don't think the board has approved your initial mission statement
09-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
No, I think you have this wrong. Their slogan is "be different." At the higher end, that means weather sealed, small and tough (K7). At the entry level it means cool features (720p video) and different colors (Kx). Both are examples of products that are "different" than the competition.

Pentax is supposed to make money for Hoya. I don't think the board has approved your initial mission statement
From what I gather, colors other than black or white won't even be available in the US.

"Being different" eh?
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member

From what I gather, colors other than black or white won't even be available in the US.

"Being different" eh?
I thought blue and red are also available in the US (in limited quantities). And even white is "different' for a dSLR. Oly has white and silver for the E-P1 - I'd be interested to know how the numbers fall out with that.

Look, I'm not defending their strategy (loosely defined ), just pointing out that it might not be as wrong/inconsistent as some people think.