Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
Forum Member

Probably a good move to increase sales and awareness

Just my two cents...

This move to release inexpensive, multi-colored cameras seems quite reminiscent of what a company called "Traxxas" did in the early 1990's. For those of you who have never heard of Traxxas, Traxxas is a manufacturer of "model-grade" radio control vehicles (cars, boats, trucks, etc.)

At around the year 1990 Traxxas, which was known within the Radio Controlled vehicle community as being the "underdog" had decided to start releasing higher-performance R/C cars which took the rest of the R/C community by storm and which managed to put the "hurt" on the better-known, race-competition-oriented competitors, like Team Losi and Team Associated (who, at the time were basically the equivalents of Canon and Nikon in their field).

What happened was this: While Traxxas enjoyed a year or two of extreme notoriety with its move to release high-performance versions of its vehicles, it had found that continuously competing with the "big boys" who were already better-established and much further ahead of the game than them would have bleeded the company to bankruptcy. The competitors simply had way much more money to spend on R&D and advertising, a much larger market base foothold within the racing community, and were just so much better-known. At this point not enough people were purchasing Traxxas' impressive, high-end vehicles to keep the company afloat, so Traxxas decided to leave the performance market and to instead target future vehicles to "every-day Joe's" who did not want to race their vehicles, but who just wanted to bash around construction sites and backyards. Durability became the new emphasis... features and performance took a back seat. The result of this move was that the once-little and poorly-known company managed to take a HUGE share of the market away from the competitors and nearly even drove some of the once-mighty competitors out of business.

My point is: Yes, probably everyone who is on this particular web site reading this thread is drooling for the likes of a K7 and a bunch of DA* lenses... but we are an extremely small fraction of the market and Pentax/Hoya knows that we alone can not sustain them in competiton against the likes of Canon and Nikon. I see Pentax as doing the same thing that Traxxas did, re-directing their efforts towards getting every-day people to buy their products and keep the company alive. At the end of the day you have to remember that Pentax is a business, and as much as it pains me to say it, they have to make products which are priced and targeted to what could be considered "the majority" of potential consumers. However, I DO HOPE that unlike Traxxas, Pentax will still continue its efforts with higher-performance camera equipment, instead of letting that all fade away and becoming known as nothing more than a "budget" camera manufacturer.

----------------
Now playing: Tears For Fears - The Way You Are
via FoxyTunes

09-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #62
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TiminyCricket, nailed it with that post. We have a mass market, mass appeal camera that is creating more buzz than the K-7 (Btw notice how well Hoya hid this one till lainch day!). There's tons of talk about the colourful Pentax all over the web. Now with some marketing support and a Best Buy space, this one will put some $$ in the Pentax bank account.

I will say though that the camera is really well featured for the money regardless of the colours. It's not just a Fisher Price camera and is best in class/pricepoint.

The AF thing is something we might worry about but this level of consumer will not care at all. In fact I never move my AF points on my K20D's and both cameras have close to 45,000 frames on them.

This ones a winner and like Seamuis, I hate the doom and gloom of the thread title. Profit wise, Pentax is doing far better than most brands right now and this will only make it better.

Finally there will be a RED KX under the tree at my house this Christmas.
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #63
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Now that I think on it. Color cast could be used in your benefit. Furthermore, if you get the one on white color you can double it as a reflector.
or get it middle grey and use a mirror?
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.

You don't, I don't...but as an entry DSLR for the youth market...an 18 year old youmg woman may find it appealing.

09-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You don't, I don't...but as an entry DSLR for the youth market...an 18 year old youmg woman may find it appealing.
As a test, I showed the "select your color" link some women in the office. They loved it. I'm thinking this thing might be a big seller.
09-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
As a test, I showed the "select your color" link some women in the office. They loved it. I'm thinking this thing might be a big seller.
...in Japan.

I hope some of these harlequins eventually find their way to the rest of the world.
09-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #67
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
...in Japan.

I hope some of these harlequins eventually find their way to the rest of the world.
that will certainly happen. at what cost to the buyer, I don't know. but rest assured there will be all sorts of Japanese vendors looking to export this camera in all sorts of colour combos.
09-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that will certainly happen. at what cost to the buyer, I don't know. but rest assured there will be all sorts of Japanese vendors looking to export this camera in all sorts of colour combos.
You are absolutely right - and Pentax will even make it easy for them so long as they have the 'vote for your favorite' feature displaying the top 20 combinations. The Japanese retailers will simply place orders for the top X number of units they think will sell, and offer them up for export until Pentax wises up and opens a warehouse in Golden to stock these. I would wait a month for for delivery of whatever combo (olive/white, blue/grey - it would take me a month to decide!) if it meant I could choose for myself. I happen to like the white version alot and will be buying it right away (was waiting for an entry level w/video to compliment the k20, and I think pentax has outdone themselves on specs alone at this price point) - I think they are doing it this way to gauge sales and make it easier for initial demand and will likely release the top X color combos for sale (or make them all available) at whatever time they pre determine initial sales declines.

09-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #69

I really hope so. I waited 2 months for my white K-m, I don't mind waiting another 2 for a bright yellow/olive gree/brown/silver K-x.

Yeah, I actually like the brown ones, too. They look kinda classy.

As classy as a colored plastic camera can...
09-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #70
Site Supporter

this will certainly not "break" Pentax. christ, are we already starting the doom and gloom threads? this place sucks when Pentax releases a new camera.
This camera will sell a lot better than people think. It has a good spec sheet and the colors as well.
09-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #71
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This camera will sell a lot better than people think. It has a good spec sheet and the colors as well.
yes it will. by a large degree.
09-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #72
Veteran Member

fwiw, the K-x seems to be a general consumer dslr. a good and pretty looking affordable dslr which is appealing to the masses. but how about the K20D which is at the same price range and has a better specs in other major areas?

I guess this would come down to size and looks preference rather than specs, except well maybe video feature as well.
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #73
Pentaxian

yes it will. by a large degree.
For those who have been to Yodobashi-Umeda, the biggest electronic store in Osaka (near Osaka train station), there are rows and rows of new electronic (including camera, MP3 etc.) gadgets on display. It is really something to behold, and chances are you will find the color of your choice there. The only thing is that, none of those come with manual in other languages.
09-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
fwiw, the K-x seems to be a general consumer dslr. a good and pretty looking affordable dslr which is appealing to the masses. but how about the K20D which is at the same price range and has a better specs in other major areas?

I guess this would come down to size and looks preference rather than specs, except well maybe video feature as well.
I'm considering going smaller/lighter with the K-x...
09-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe not so bad an idea?

Being an "old guy" it is not for me, but neither are Rap songs or other modern marvels of the young and restless.
We had a few thoughts on it here, some were interesting...I like the bobbing head idea a lot..it could be a winner!
Flickr: Discussing Remember what I said about the Japanese? Well... in Pentaxians

Regards!
Rupert