Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x - "make it or break it" for Pentax

Well, the K-x is based on the same body design as the K-m, which isn't weather-resistant either. To add weather sealing to this body would require a lot of re-engineering and probably didn't fit in with their time/cost plan for the K-x release.

To many this would appear to be an apparent step back from their nature/outdoors strategy given how much they pushed the weather and cold-resistant abilities of the K-7, as well as the weather-sealed kit lenses that were introduced along with it. But considering the financial environment we have seen in this past year, as well as the uncertainties that Hoya management had regarding where to take Pentax, I don't think we could expect them to introduce a new line of weather-sealed bodies in this time. So given this, I think the fact that the K-x is not weather-sealed is understandable (check at the : official Pentax K-x video), though obviously it's not desireable nor ideal.

That said, the K-x is a very pleasant surprise to me, and I suspect it's taken more than a few others by surprise too. Could this be the "make it or break it" for Pentax? Anyways, its success will bode well for Pentax (and us) for the next few years, and hopefully we'll see a more complete line of weather-sealed bodies and lenses in the near future.

09-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #2

I think KX is a entry-level compact DSLR. I really don't expect product at this level has weather resistant feature. It is small, light, colorful, and cheap....I guess this is good enough.
09-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want weather seal, Pentax got K-7, and it's not much too bigger than a K-x. Price wise, not too much more either if you count in the lenses you are gonna buy in a long run.

Make it or break it? Well, Pentax has been on this line for quite some years

To me K-x is really a surprise and an interesting move by Pentax. I'm sure some bigger players will follow the same concept. If it'd sell, time will tell.
09-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the K-x will most certainly sell well, with this kind of specs over the price, Pentax has proven and done it once again that their products surplus the pricing. If they do not sell well, then people really do prefer brand over quality, the top boys like Canon and Nikon are hard to beat because they are already so well known.

09-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Banned

this will certainly not "break" Pentax. christ, are we already starting the doom and gloom threads? this place sucks when Pentax releases a new camera.
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope this K-x will be a money-maker for Pentax/Hoya At least it has all the bells and whistles to play a role in the entry-level ($$$) market. The more money it generates, the more they can put into the development of our high-end bodies
09-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this will certainly not "break" Pentax. christ, are we already starting the doom and gloom threads? this place sucks when Pentax releases a new camera.
I have to agree. The thought that the new KX was a make or break model, never even crossed my mind.

I have a KM...wonderful little camera...I think the KX ...going by the specs is an wonderful little camera that's amazing.

Besides all the more than competitive features you can get it in different colour...which doesn't appeal to me, but then I'm an old guy...but it will appeal to the younger market.

The Canon 'April Lavigne' adverts were designed to get the youth market...different colours will also appeal to some in that market...making the KX a 'fun' product, in addition to being being a very good camera.

A product needs to stand out amongst the sea of competitors.

09-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A product needs to stand out amongst the sea of competitors.
making a bright red camera is certainly a way of doing that...
09-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
making a bright red camera is certainly a way of doing that...
I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.
09-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the K-X specs look fantastic. I thought the K-m was great too, but the lack of focus points and an orientation sensor really turned me off. In looking at the K-X, I can't really think of one thing they got wrong. They delivered more than I expected for the pricepoint.

Here is my question. Does it matter if you come out with a great camera if you can't see them anywhere? Here in the U.S. at this point, Pentax hardly has any shelf space in any stores. I'm not comfortable pushing a niche product to all of those first time DSLR buyers that ask me for advice. They need to have their products out for people to see.

It looks to me like a great camera, but I hope people will see them.
09-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.
well in Japan, you can get it in 100 different body/grip colour combos. including pink, purple, orange, yellow, etc, etc. red is just one of many bright and cheery colours this thing will be coated in.
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #12

K-x?????????????PENTAX

sample pics of kx...it looks good.
09-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
K-x?????????????PENTAX

sample pics of kx...it looks good.
????????????PENTAX K-x ????????
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "make or break's" not necessary.
If you mean in terms of being successful, or a failure, I am sure it will be successful.
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
What about the white?

I am considering it so people I don't know are not as turned off when I'm pointing it at them.