Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I see we've gone from "Pentax, rugged cameras" to "Pentax, fashion accessory."

C'mon guys, if Canon or Nikon released a camera that won't even show you what focus point is active, but is available in 100 color combinations, with no weather sealing, you'd mock it relentlessly.

More than a few Pentax fans I've chatted with are wondering just what the hell Pentax is thinking with this one. They wanted something like a K-m with good weather sealing.
I really don't think you have anything to worry about since the vast majority of combinations will only be available in Japan.

09-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.
Many years ago (mid-80s) I bought an all red Konica Pop camera. I didn't find it ridiculous at all...

Think of all the marketing tie-ins and possiblities with an all red camera...
Scuderia Ferrari
Liverpool FC

Many Chinese consider red to be an auspicious colour...
and we're not even talking about other colour combinations... the colours of the Brazilian flag as an example...

Colour as a means towards personalisation is a wonderful and creative method of marketing...
think out of the box and don't limit yourself to old and restrictive thinking.

On another point, the criticism about the lack of weather sealing is without merit imo as other camera makes have cameras that makes no claims about weather sealing but still sell in large numbers.
For goodness sake lets have a reality check... most cameras in the past aren't weather sealed but photographers still used them from the rain forest to desert to cold climates with no issues whatsoever...
If you want weather sealing, pony up more money and get the K-7.

Last edited by creampuff; 09-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
09-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #33

I like it. I want it. If it had a second wheel I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But which color.....

(doesn't this give color photography a whole new meaning?)
09-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #34
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
I like it. I want it. If it had a second wheel I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But which color.....

(doesn't this give color photography a whole new meaning?)
Why worry about the color if you can get the color most of us want, black. I would jump on it right now if it had 2 wheels and a top lcd. I think it looks like a great camera. But for now I'll keep my K10D and spend my money on more glass.

09-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Looks like there is demand for a camera with Weather sealing but lower cost than the K-7.
In product terms, there is definitely room for another new model between the K-X and the K-7, but I'm not sure whether Pentax has the resources to keep 3 new models in production.
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #36

I see we've gone from "Pentax, rugged cameras" to "Pentax, fashion accessory."

C'mon guys, if Canon or Nikon released a camera that won't even show you what focus point is active, but is available in 100 color combinations, with no weather sealing, you'd mock it relentlessly.

More than a few Pentax fans I've chatted with are wondering just what the hell Pentax is thinking with this one. They wanted something like a K-m with good weather sealing.
Yes, but the real market does not even know what this website is so you have not been getting their opinions. This is the people they are trying to reach, not the rather small market of folks with a few older Pentax lenses, but the people that have barely even heard of Pentax.
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Looks like there is demand for a camera with Weather sealing but lower cost than the K-7.
In product terms, there is definitely room for another new model between the K-X and the K-7, but I'm not sure whether Pentax has the resources to keep 3 new models in production.
Wanting weather sealing and actually subjecting our cameras to the elements are two different things. I have my doubts most camera users even come close to shooting in the rain on a regular basis so I think Pentax has sensibly got the right approach here. After all, the majority of cameras past and present are not weather sealed and that has not prevented photographers from using them in different environmental conditions and climates.

This camera replaces the K-m (with LV and HD video as the must have features) so if there were to be a 3 model line-up, I would think it would be something higher than the K-7.

09-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I think the bright red color is just ridiculous, that thing is going to shine like crazy. I would never get a DSLR in that color.
I would
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Me too.

:ugh:
09-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well, I don't really need another camera. But when I look at the red K-x, I just can't help but deciding to get one
09-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Psht, I'm going to get mine in hot pink.
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I like it! Features are outstanding. Color choice is unreal. I don't need one as i have too many cameras but i still want one in yellow with a blue grip!

If this had come out a few months ago i would have been in a tough spot. kx or k7.
I wanted video mode and a higher frame rate. They both deliver. The choice would have been a k7 or a kx + another LTD.

I do take the k7 into the water (waist deep for me) and sometimes get sprayed but my k100d survived that anyway. There is just more of a safe feeling doing it with a k7.

I would miss the top LCD, 2nd wheel and AF features but.... are they worth twice the price to me? dunno.

Maybe i need to sell all my unused cameras and get a friend in japan to get one for me..... nah! still need that da21.

mike
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm taking a guess that most of us enjoy shooting color photos, so why not have the option of different color cameras. Cell phones sell well in different colors and I expect this camera will also (especially in the Asian market as well as the more 'youthful' segment of the US). Body color will definitely get Pentax a lot of free advertising... and that is a good thing.
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I really find some of the post childish. Pentax is offering more choice in colors, whats wrong in it? People must not forget that every person has different choices. The class to which k-x is going to appeal is totally different than what we perceive.
Moreover knowledgeable forum members fail to understand that Pentax is working on its plan which does not end at the release of K-x, Pentax is going to fill the gap by releasing the upgrade of K200D, which will have weather-sealing and many of the k-7 features and could be priced 150$ more. It is ridiculous to discuss about weather sealing on an entry level camera. Most brands give hopeless weather sealing even with semi-pro dslrs.
With this feature set and at 650USD with kit lens K-x is very appealing choice. Whether it sells a lot or not depends on Pentax's marketing. Pentax is appealing teenage users as well as women folk and a good teenage tennis star being brand ambassador for k-x would make a great difference. Sometimes we never know what appeals people.
Atindra
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #45
Veteran Member

From what I gather, colors other than black or white won't even be available in the US.

"Being different" eh?
I guess you missed the spec sheet as well...?

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I really find some of the post childish. Pentax is offering more choice in colors, whats wrong in it? People must not forget that every person has different choices. The class to which k-x is going to appeal is totally different than what we perceive.
Moreover knowledgeable forum members fail to understand that Pentax is working on its plan which does not end at the release of K-x, Pentax is going to fill the gap by releasing the upgrade of K200D, which will have weather-sealing and many of the k-7 features and could be priced 150$ more. It is ridiculous to discuss about weather sealing on an entry level camera. Most brands give hopeless weather sealing even with semi-pro dslrs.
With this feature set and at 650USD with kit lens K-x is very appealing choice. Whether it sells a lot or not depends on Pentax's marketing. Pentax is appealing teenage users as well as women folk and a good teenage tennis star being brand ambassador for k-x would make a great difference. Sometimes we never know what appeals people.
Atindra
Agreed. It's not as if there are no black cameras available...people can get one if they choose. I personally think color choices are awesome. Look at other companies that offer choices...Dell laptops, for one...there are tons of commercials showing about 8 different colors.

I wonder if people complain about everything else. "My Wii sucks...I hate playing it cause the case is white." "I'm sick of my car cause it's silver."

I'd be willing to bet that most people on this site agonize less over other purchases...(even their vehicle? ) because of color.