Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Heads up for Toronto Pentaxians

Hello All,

I just got word that Henry's will be having a 3 day Pentax event (starting today, I believe). Reps will be on hand at 4 of the major locations in the Toronto area to answer questions etc. along with some savings across the board (not sure how much though).

Maynerd

09-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello All,

It was great to meet some fellow forum members face to face at Henry's Scarborough location over the past couple of days. Having people crowding around the Pentax counter was a great scene. It was unfortunate timing that it happened this weekend as I already had Saturday booked off and I would have loved to see a LARGE group crowding the counter.

The K-x looks very promising... Could (and should) be Canikon entry level killer... 12 megapixels, best fps in its class and HD video. No one can touch it at $699 (with the 18-55).

Good on ya, Pentax. Now it's time to get that marketing machine grinding away.
09-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the heads up Maynerd,

I was there on the Sat to chat with the rep, who was a nice enough guy. I appreciated the honesty that he shared in that even he was slightly disappointed in some of the design decisions (ie the plastic fit covers on the K-7) but that this was an admittedly small compromise that might have been as a result of size restrictions. The battery redesign from the k20d however, was a bit of a crock.

Disappointed that they didn't have a k-x there. Somehow, the Scarborough location got shafted. After some chatting about the AF display issue, we came to the conclusion that it's not a bad thing to have the AF points for fully automated AF, but that AF selection is pretty much a moot point if you're not going to display it and that the more advanced user would more than likely a focus and recompose technique. Now imagine if they had the balls to put a split prism viewfinder in there instead of having to run out and buy an after market one. I think that would have garnered serious kudos - and probably been a bit of a revelation for some of the young folk that have never used a camera with one. Or maybe i'm just showing my age...
09-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's weird... The Rep had a pre-production K-x with him on Thursday and Friday... Not sure why he didn't have it on Saturday. I also got to meet the Canadian VP on Thursday and he is very excited about the potential the K-x has in the current market.

It's great to see Pentax fighting hard for their piece of the pie. Now it's all about marketing, marketing, marketing.

09-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maynerd Quote

It's great to see Pentax fighting hard for their piece of the pie. Now it's all about marketing, marketing, marketing.
I second that. One bus stop ad in Vancouver vs. Avril Lavigne's face plastered everywhere...
09-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

LoL dang I missed it! (and this forum post)

A bunch of us did run into an Olympus EP-1 event at Henry's Superstore. It was humourous to see like 4-5 pentaxians all kinda slowly unveiling ourselves and soon we were all chatting about various gear infront of the Olympus Booth.
09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FotoPete,

That's rather funny, because the primary focus of my trip was to compare the handling capabilities of the GH1 vs hte EP-1 (as a reference for the upcoming GF-1). The appeal of a small mirrorless system and an adapter for my pancakes is a very attractive proposition for a small camping/hiking kit when space and weight are at a premium.