Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros easy to use, value for price, relatively compact, usable high ISO, 55-300 kit lens
Cons learning curve to use fully, no AF with video,
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $628 w/ 18-55 & 50-300
Years Owned 3+ months / 3000 shots

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Entry level DSLR that offers tremendous value; compared to other entry DSLRs I looked at, it is relatively compact; it's rather easy to start taking good pictures, but there is also a lot of room for expanding one's photographic range; it feels solidly built

Camera Review
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing the K-x as my entry into the DSLR world. I had been moving up the line of P&S cameras since 2000, and I had some idea of the basics on taking good pictures and improving effects, light & dark, DOF, etc... The K-x has been a great purchase, imo. Though it sounds paradoxical, I suspect more experienced photographers know what I mean when I say that this camera has allowed me both to take much better pictures than I've taken and much worse ones as well! The point, of course, is that the K-x can be easy to use and provide great quality images. OTOH, for someone who wants to take even better pictures, there is a going to be a learning curve and some mistakes along the way. I appreciate that the K-x allows me to start taking good pictures right away and will also allow me to grow with it.
Some specifics:
  • I was mindful of cost, and the K-x represents a tremendous value. I bought my K-x with the 18-55 and 50-300 kit lenses. Right out of the box, I am fairly well situated.
  • I had 3 contexts of intended pictures: A) daughter #1 who plays college soccer; B) daughter #2 who is in a lot of band, theater, plays sort of stuff; C) pics to use in my teaching of ancient biblical sites.
  • A) The 55-300 lens has been outstanding for taking action soccer pics from some distance. I really love this lens and what it's able to do on the K-x simply using the 'action' setting.
  • B) The high ISO capabilities have allowed me to get shots that were impossible with my old P&S (a very nice Canon A710IS). 1600 is very good and 3200 is quite good. 6400 is usable at smaller sizes. I've taken a lot of night time and low light shots.
  • C) Still working on this one. The 18-55 seems to be a bit 'fussier' somehow, and I have to work a bit harder to get good pics with it, but I love the contrast and richness of the pics that I do get.
  • I also like that the K-x with its K-mount allows me to use a lot of older lenses that I've been able to get quite cheaply ($18-$30) on ebay. In particular, I got a Pentax SMC-M 1:7 50mm and a Pentax F 1:3.5-4.5 35-70mm that are really nice. Using the 'green button' with the old manuals actually makes them quite easy to use.
This and that...
  • I was wondering how I would deal with the oft-criticized lack of AF indicator in the view finder. I have not had any problem at all. As others suggest, I just set it to center focus and use it as my guide.
  • Personally I'm happy w/ using the 4AA batteries.
  • I liked the idea of a tilt/swivel LCD, but I really am more of a viewfinder type of person. So, taking pics works well using the very fine viewfinder. But... using the manual focus lenses takes some practice. (I've seen the split prism type of thing, and that is easier to use.) I've ended up relying on the focus beep and the green hexagon in the viewfinder. As for the LCD, it is acceptable, but I also find I need to check it more often and more carefully to see how I'm doing. A higher resolution screen would be helpful...
  • I find I rarely use LiveView.
What's not to like?
  • A number of times I have made some adjustment and then forgotten to reset it to normal. This is the main reason for goofing up pics.
  • The K-x takes very nice video, but... the lack of autofocus makes it tough to get anything beyond relatively static shots.
Bottom line: I love my K-x, and I think it is a tremendous value. There are doubtless better cameras out there, but keeping in mind the price I paid, I'm happy to give it a 9.

12-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Small & light, excellent IQ, Clean high ISO, Colored bodies, HD video, fast fps, anti-shake, price
Cons Only 720p video
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 455
Years Owned 1

The Pentax K-x offers most of the features and performance of a semi-pro camera, in an inexpensive, small and light stylish package. This may be the perfect camera for someone first entering the DSLR world, or anybody on a budget.

Camera Review
I recently upgraded from my beloved Olympus e-510 DSLR with the 14-42mm and 40-150mm kits lenses in order to get a DSLR with better low-light performance and HD video capabilities. I loved my Olympus, but image quality took a nose-dive at ISO 800, and I liked the idea of having an HD camcorder built into my camera to capture high quality family photos and home videos in one device. I eventually settled on the Pentax K-x after first buying, and then returning, a Canon T2i.

I know that the T2i costs almost twice as much as the K-x, and they're not direct competitors, but I think my experience illustrates what a great camera and bargain the K-x is and how, for me at least, it was a giant killer.

I initially pre-ordered a T2i for the $900 MSRP after reading the glowing reviews in the press about the 18MP sensor, the high-ISO performance and the killer 1080p video. When I received the T2i, I was surprised by how cheap and plasticky it felt. It's not that the T2i was likely to fall apart, but my Olympus felt and looked like a higher quality camera, even though it was about $200 less than the T2i when I bought it. I realize that the T2i is a Rebel, but for almost $1000, I expected something more solid.

Even worse was the Canon 18-55mm kit lens, which felt like a toy compared to my Olympus kit lenses. It looked cheap, and the zoom action felt very cheap, and you could hear plastic-on-plastic as you zoomed in and out. There was no lens hood included, and the optional lens hood was only about an inch deep and looked ridiculous. The front element rotated when auto-focusing, which makes using some filters problematic, and you had to switch off AF to manually make focus adjustments. My Olympus lenses did not rotate the front element, and allowed full time focus override without turning off AF. And build-wise, they looked and felt like a higher end lens. But worst of all, Canon kits lens's optical performance was lacking, rendering the 18MP sensor moot.

I could live with the cheap feel of the T2i body and the ugly jelly-bean design, but I came to realize that in order to get a lens that would match the performance of the body, I would need to shell out another $500 or more, and as a hobbyist I just didn't have the budget.

The real deal-breaker with the T2i though, was the use of Quicktime format for the HD video. Quicktime is a proprietary Apple video format, and while I must assume it works well on a new Mac, the QT videos often gave PCs problems. I'd read about this from other users, but I figured that with my high-end PCs and my computer knowledge, I would be okay. But both my new Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7, ATI 4650 graphics and 4GB of RAM and my desktop computer with Windows XP, dual-core processor, 4GB of RAM, Raptor 10K HDD and nVidia 8800GT graphics would stutter on playback of the 1080p files. And finding affordable programs to edit Quicktime HD video files is another headache. I wasn't about to buy a new Mac just to be able to work with the video from my new camera.

So back went the T2i, and my quest for a new camera continued. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Nikon D5000, when I came across the Pentax K-x.

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the styling. I thought the camera looked dead-sexy in navy blue, but when I saw the white version, I was in love. One thing I liked about my Olympus was that it was something DIFFERENT than all the Nikons and Canon Rebels you see every other parent carrying to school or sports functions. I would often get questions about it from people who didn't realize that Olympus even MADE DSLRs. With this Pentax, I would again have something out of the ordinary.

Then I started reading reviews of the K-x. One of the great things about the T2i is the high ISO image quality, and according to the reviews and the sample images I was looking at, the K-x was right there with it.

And the K-x also did HD video. There were some limitations, such as 720p and lack of full control over exposure while shooting video, but I didn't really mind since the samples I downloaded looked great, even on my 110" 1080P home theater projector. And 720p files take less space than 1080p and require less processing power to playback and edit. And best of all, the K-x uses Motion JPEG video format, which plays back great on PCs and is compatible with almost any Windows video editing program. The MJPEG format does use more disk space than the equivalent QT file, but hard drives and SD cards are cheap these days, so it's not a big deal.

Another great thing about the K-x is that it has sensor-based image stabilization in the body, so any lens you stick on the camera is stabilized. My Olympus used a similar system, and I was very happy with it. The big advantage is that you can be non-stabilized lenses so they'll be smaller, lighter, and less expensive.

I ended up buying the K-x in white with the 18-55mm lens. The K-x looks and feels like a higher quality camera than the T2i, and matches my Olympus in this department. The kit lens is also a very worthy piece of hardware.

With the money I saved on the Pentax, I was able to buy the legendary Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 lens, a Pentax 55-300mm zoom lens, and a Sigma speedlight. The flash was new, but I got great deals on the slighty-used lenses on eBay and Craigslist.

I've been using the Pentax for a couple months now, and have taken hundreds of pictures. I am absolutely thrilled with the camera and couldn't be happier with the photos and videos I'm getting. The T2i did have just slightly more detail, but other than that I would say the K-x has equal image quality. And the 12MP RAW image files of the K-x are faster to work with than the 18MP files of the T2i and take up much less space on SD cards, so you don't have to worry about filling up nearly as fast.

That's not too much negative I can say about the camera. I would like it to have a mini-HDMI port and a standard mini-USB port, and continuous auto-focus would be nice in video mode, but no other DSLR has that yet. Stereo mics would also be nice.

I suspect that the image stabilization system may not be as good as the one in my Olympus, but I can't say for sure since my 300mm is longer than the telephoto I had with the Olympus and will therefore be more prone to shake.

I get compliments on the Pentax everywhere I go, and it's been a joy to use and own. I could not be happier with my purchase.

In the future I'll probably add a Sigma 30mm F1.4 prime and a Sigma 10-20mm ultra-wide zoom to my lens kit.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to bash on the T2i. It is an amazing camera that is currently without peer in its price range. But if you're like me and you only have about $1000 to spend, I think you will get much more value by going with a less-expensive but almost-as-capable camera like the K-x, and using the extra money on high quality lenses. My F2.8 constant-aperture lens has been a revolution for me, and I recommend every budding photographer make room in their budget for something similar.
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros COLOR! Great overall camera
Cons none that i've found yet!
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) gift
Years Owned 1

This is an outstanding camera to start out with.

Camera Review
I've had my Pentax now for about a year. I purchased the Optio prior to the K-x and found that I loved the Pentax brand so much and loved having such an easy small camera to work with, I wanted to move up in life and get back into taking photos.
I looked at all the major DSLR brands prior to asking for this camera and found nothing at all that compared. There were two strange things that really sold me on this camera: 1. The ease of the grip, the way it fit in my hand. It's like it was meant to be! 2. The color. It may sound petty, but I just loved that the cameras came in color. (I was a little dissapointed with they came out with additional colors this year...but I got over it! I had already taken so many great pictures with the camera I never would have gotten if I waited!)
The camera is great for a beginner because it has the modes (food, theatre, candlelight modes) that get you started right out of the box and make you think you're dangerous! After having the camera now for a while and remembering a thing or two from my high school photo class along with taking a few refresher courses, I've gotten away from those and branched out making my own settings. Making this a great camera to grow with as well.
I recently purchased a new lens for it too. A Tamron 18mm-250mm. Just having that for a week, it's a great addition to this camera. The lens that is standard with the camera (18mm-55mm) is great to start out with and for everyday shooting, but I do quite a bit in the theatre and needed something longer. I only wish they made lenses in colors so you could mix and match-like Fiestware!
12-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #34

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Excellent image quality, Fast performance
Cons None (unless you are a Pro)
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 584.99 (with 2 kit lenses)
Years Owned 1

- Excellent image quality
- Great low-light performance
- Fast in operation
- Compact size for a DSLR
- Excellent DSLR camera for beginners and serious hobbyists

Camera Review
I will not write too much about the out-of-the-box features here because they are available in detail on almost any good camera site. My review would give you the point-of-view of a serious hobbyist who has bought his first DSLR.

Pentax K-x is an amazing camera that has everything you can ask for in a camera of its class. May be it will still surprise you with its load of features. The first thing you would look for in a camera is its image quality. K-x does not compromise on that. Its captures great images whether outside or indoors and the performance is fantastic even in low light. All operations are fast, be it startup, focusing, reviewing and scrolling saved images and in-camera editing.

It is relatively small size but feels and handles great while shooting. Build quality is very good. Menus are so intuitive that you don't even feel the need to read its manual! Most shooting parameters can be changed by the very handy 'Info' screen without even going into menus.

Apart from almost every standard feature like multiple Scene presets, flash modes, RAW capturing, it includes Live view, HD video, good image-stabilization and shooting HDR images straight out of the camera. The Pentax 'Green button' is very handy while in manual mode.

Having AA batteries is not a problem in that you can always buy good rechargeables and can have more than one set when going on long trips. Also, I have never missed the focus confirming lights in the viewfinder as I mostly shoot with a predefined focus point. And even if you don't, other plus points of this camera wont make you miss this feature at all.

To conclude, I am an extremely satisfied Pentax K-x user and have never felt that the camera has let me down on any occasion. In fact, I feel I have paid a bit too less for such a good camera!

(Attaching a photo I recently shot with my K-x and its 18-55mm kit lens on a vibrating Brooklyn Bridge)

Attached Images

12-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #35

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Handy size, features at this prize and pict quality in low light
Cons Focusing ( red dots missed here)
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 730 ( with kit 18-55 and 50 -200)
Years Owned 1

My first DLSR and really like it. Fits my hand nicely , compact size & weight. Old lenses fit which is definitely + ( got SMC 1:1.4 /50 mm with 50 $, only problem is focusing)

Camera Review
12-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #36

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Super
Cons Does'nt Support HDXC cards
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 499.00
Years Owned 1

Loaded with alot of features, easy to use menu, super camera for first time users or and professionals

Camera Review
I was tired of spending all kind of money on Point and Shoot Cameras and looking for affordable nice DSLR for my personal use, Here I found Pentax Kx, Just cost me $499.00 with 18-55 Kit lens, every since I have this Camera I love it and I got addicted to taking pictures, Loaded full of features, easy to use menu, Runs on regular AA size batteries, Takes super quality HD movies, everything you can expect from SLR camera and forget to mention it support all the lenses released by Pentax till date...Overall experience with this camera is Awesome, and hopefully Pentax will come with the firmware upgrade where it will also support SDXC cards as well.
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #37

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros High ISO (w/ low Noise) Capability, Compact Size, Uses AA Batteries
Cons No AF Focus Indicator, Did not come w/ lens hood
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) $490 w/18-55 Kit Lens
Years Owned 2 months

Great upgrade/replacement for my 3 year old K100D

Camera Review
I just replaced my 3 year old K100D with a K-x. I guess 3 years adds quite a bit of capability and features to a camera without taking anything away (features wise) and at a comparable price.

the fact that I used to own a K100D is both good and bad. The first thing I noticed after opening the box is a slight degradation in the quality of materials. The tactile feel on the body is just a tad better on the old camera. Most obvious is the kit lens that came with the K-x. The overall weight of the lens is significantly less (which by itself is nice, but it makes the lens feel cheap) and the black plastic mount was disappointing. If I did not use to own a similar camera and/or an identical lens on my K100D I probably would not have noticed any of these observations.

Another downer was the absence of a lens hood for my K-x kit lens (which was included in my K100D kit). I suppose they have to cut corners somewhere.

I read about the absence of LED focus confirmation indicators prior to buying it and I thought I was going to be OK without them. However, my P&S camera, a Panasonic TZ5 has them and I thought that should have been a must-have feature.

Not sure why, but similar to my K100D, there seem to be a tendency for my pictures to be about 1/2 stop too dark, so I use my "normal" exposure compensation adjustment.

Overall, I'm still sold on my new K-x. Aside from the wide variety of new features which I'm still trying to learn, I like the wireless remote triggering on my Pentax AF360FGZ flash the most.
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Cheap, Great IQ, Great Build Quality, Colors
Cons No autofocus points in VF
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $460
Years Owned few months

Great Mid-level camera for Entry-level price!

Camera Review
I'm in high school, and I've always been interested in design, so I signed up for Yearbook, which I am loving. Yearbook has a lot of photography, so I decided to invest in a DSLR camera.

First two choices: Nikon, or Canon. I have a few friends with Nikon cameras, and a few friends with Canon cameras.
Ofcourse, I had a very limited budget, so I found some camera review sites and looked for "Great Budget DSLRs" on cNet. Of course, the K-x popped up.
After hours of research and bargain hunting, I found a blue K-x and 18-55 lens kit for 460 dollars new on Adorama.com

THe K-x is great!
It is a light DSLR, but not as light as others I have tried. But this is a good thing, because it gives some heft to it. When I got the camera, I learned how to use it very quickly. it has a very simple learning curve, and the user interface is extremely concise. I've used Nikon and Canon cameras, and they both had very confusing interfaces, like .....

+__i__i__|__i__i__-- <--(exposure meter that's reversed on Nikon)

THe K-x has extraordinary image quality. I'm sure you've heard this a hundred times, but high ISO images are extremely usable. There are a lot of novel, but quite useful features on the K-x too, like cross processing and HDR capture. Canikons don't have this feature, and another plus is built in SR. Canikon just tries to rob your money, making you buy expensive VR and IS lenses. The K-x also comes in some very striking colors, and as I've found, people WILL stare at your camera if you're walking about with it.

Hint hint: If you buy one, be sure to update the firmware.

Photos taken with this camera: Flickr: TheTeenagePhotographer's Photostream
I've attached some of my favorites as well.

Attached Images

03-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #39

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Read Below
Cons Read Below
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $450
Years Owned 1 and a half

Value, Features, Performance &amp; Size
Read Below.

Camera Review
Pentax Kx Review:
So you are into photography. You don't know much about it because all your life you've just been shooting with your little point and shoot camera. If you wanna get into the world of photography, the Pentax K-x is an absolute stunner in the world of beginner DSLR's. Let me go over the very important basics this camera can pump out.
PROS:
-Firstly, it's ISO performance is amazing so it has an impressive low light performance. One of the best in it's category (Beginner DSLR).
-The camera is extremely beginner friendly as well. It has a bunch of preset settings such as portrait mode, landscape mode, etc.
-Since it can shoot at an amazing 1/6000 of a second shutter speed, I've shot 100's of school sporting events with this beauty. With a 4.7 frames per second (Pictures per second) and a better than average AF system, if you are trying to get into sports photography, this is a great camera to start with.
-One of the things I thoroughly enjoy is the built in shake reduction. It means I can basically get shake reduction on ANY lens. Instead of having to buy lenses with shake reduction built into them, I can buy, inexpensive lenses and have the feature in hand.
-It can use every single Pentax lens ever made.
-The menus is simple to navigate through, and the editing options are great.
-It can shoot 1280x720p video. Which is almost ridiculous at the price you can get this camera in.
-It's an absolute bargain.

CONS:
-Sadly, in video mode which is a fairly decent 720p video, the shake reduction makes very annoying sounds, but I generally either try to keep the shake reduction off, or keep it on and try to avoid shaking the camera around too much.
-The camera also doesn't have an external mic output, so be aware of that.
-If you are trying to strictly get into filming, I do not recommend this camera.
-It uses only AA batteries, unlike it's bigger brother the Pentax K-r. The K-r can use AA and a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #40
Emperor and Senpai

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros low light capabilities
Cons movie mode...
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 450 with 18-55 kit lens
Years Owned 9 months

The size is perfect to carry around everywhere, and no other DSLR I could find had anywhere near the features and specs for the same price.

When it runs out of juice all I have to do is dig another set of AA batteries out of my camera bag, and failing that simply stop at pretty much any store to get a fresh set!

Camera Review
My review is on the Pentax Kx with the 18-55 kit lens. I purchased my Kx on the recommendation of a friend who told me about not only the quality and features I would get with it, but the fact that I can even use lenses older than I am and still get the benefits of shake reduction due to Pentax having an in camera type of shake reduction. I can tell you that for the features the Kx has at it's price point I am very happy.

Under lower light conditions where other cameras I've had get grainy, if they even take a picture at all the Kx will give me a nice, good quality picture. Of course I do have noise reduction turned on, but again, it is the first camera I've actually been able to get good pictured of stars with! I have also got some nice after sunset pictures with mine where with my old camera I pretty much had to forget about using it to capture some of the things I've seen.

Here are a couple of examples of lower light conditions. Both were AFTER the sun had set!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/87675d1301877633-pentax-k-x-2010-late-fall-trip048.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87675&stc=1&d=1301877633

I also loved how using the kit lens I could focus right in on what I wanted, and it is there in all of it's detail. For example, I took a picture of some butterflies that I could have never gotten with a point & shoot:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/87678d1301877633-pentax-k-x-picsfrom821012.jpg

One of the other things I love about the camera with the kit lens is how rich and detailed the colors of things can be. Both my sister and I took this next picture with our cameras. She deleted hers after seeing mine, and the detail mine soaked up:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/87677d1301877633-pentax-k-x-octrip060.jpg

And last. Coming from a point and shoot Sony I could never do thing like setting a longer exposure to where I could capture the beauty of water flowing down a small fall, especially during conditions where the lighting was not too good.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/87679d1301877633-pentax-k-x-waterfall.jpg

So, in conclusion the Kx with the 18-55 kit lens is a very worthwhile camera. Now that I have it I can never go back to a point and shoot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Weight, Image quality, ease of use
Cons Batteries; compatibility with M lenses
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) 500
Years Owned 1

Great bang for the buck!
Small size and lightweight, yet quite sturdy.

Camera Review
Great camera for amateurs and starters.
Very simple to use at all levels, from my 6 year old (auto) to advanced functions.
Autofocus is quite efficient; even though it can not show the focus point in the viewfindr. At low light it has some problems.

Image quality is excellent, even at high ISOs, the kit lens is also above average.

Battery consumption can be a problem; but the use of AA helps. Keep a spare set in your bag.

The value for the money is very high and is well recommended.
Closed Thread