Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Price, Clarity, AA batteries!
Cons None
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $499.00
Years Owned 1 year

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
For the price this is a great camera. I am a beginner to the whole photo scene. Great features for beginners, feels good in the hand.

Camera Review
Awesome for beginners. Limited options once you get deeper into photo. Overall great beginner camera.

10-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #17

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros small, trap focus,video, cross processing mode
Cons small viewfinder, no focus points in the viewfinder
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $500
Years Owned 1

cheap (price-wise), feature rich, and small dslr

Camera Review
Works well with manual focus lenses...You can set it up to do trap/catch focus where you hold down the shutter button, and it won't take a picture until the body determines the subject is in focus. It's great!! Add video, cross processing mode, small size, etc., and I think this body is leagues above the competition at this price.
11-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #18

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Image quality, price/performance, useful
Cons Size, no af points, small viewfinder, no lcd sreen on top
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 800 Canadian Dollars
Years Owned 1

It worths every single penny, almost.

Camera Review
I'm not goint to write so much about this camera. The K-x is my first D-SLR and so far it truly satisfied me. The IQ is simply great. Both RAW and JPEG results are really good. This camera can even compete with Canon 40/50/60Ds and Nikon 90/300/7000Ds. The sensor does it's job far beyond than just fine, it is very good. High-ISO performance is already known, all that I add up is, don't expect a miracle from a camera with this price but still it beats every Pentax except for the new K-5. Maybe the strongest pro of this camera is it's price. The K-x is cheap but a not cheap camera, that means you feel that it's a good investment on your hobby and for a price like this, the K-x is a diamond in the dirt.

But, not everything about this camera is amazing. Now, for the record and who'll read this review I must say that the K-x is really, really, really small. On one side this is great. The camera is easy to carry around but you can't get the "DSLR feeling" of large-sized camera, almost feels like you are using a SLR-like.. Still, it fits in the hand. I'm a big man with big hands and I've never had problems with the handling of the camera except for that feeling issue. Another downside is the AF points, the K-x has any. Not a huge trouble if you're not used to use them, but if you are, well, it takes time to get comfy. Size literally matters about this camera. I had a chance to compare the K-x with Nikon D90. The IQ is very similar and K-x beats in the ISO performance but the D90 had a larger viewfinder and I can say after the K-x i felt almost like a FF camera.

To conclude, Pentax K-x is a really solid purchase. The price is great and gets even better when you see the photos. It's easy to use, pratic, powerful machine. The only downside is you, at least I, can't get the feeling of using a semi-pro camera while using it. But you'll get it when you see the results.
11-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros High performance for entry level, great value, excellent sensor IQ and high ISO results
Cons Basic movie mode, slow AF for movies, no live AF for movies
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 450 (second hand)
Years Owned 0.1

Top value camera
Feature-packed in every facet (other than movie mode)
Excellent performance in still photos
Small, light and compact - easy to carry, transport, hide when coupled with a DA or FA ltd lens

Camera Review
Pentax has really made a mark in the dSLR world with this little gem.
A big hit worldwide, and performance that no other entry-level camera in its time could match.
All the major points regarding this camera have been mentioned before, but it deserves a lot of praise for such a powerful camera in such a small package and a cheap price. This one is hard to beat for a while to come...

11-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Size, Build quality, Battery Life, Image Quality
Cons Kit lens is uninspiring, No remote shutter control port (sucks because I do enjoy astronomy shots), Rear LCD SUCKS
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 710 w/ 2 year coverage from B&H
Years Owned 9 months

Great build quality, feels good and solid in the hand, also not a bad looking camera. Nice small size for an SLR, works well with a gorilla pod. Takes terrific photos in almost all conditions. Pop up flash is lacking, but thats to be expected. LCD screen just plain sucks, but its good enough to give photos a quick glance. Kit lens isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Battery indicator gets weird but the firmware fixed it (mostly).

Camera Review
Other than a small P&S canon from 2001, this was my first camera period. I started shopping for a camera because I was taking a 2 month solo backpacking trip through Europe, and I wanted to take some decent photos of all the crazy stuff I was going to see. I started looking at the higher end P&S Canon and Nikon, HD Video and size being the two main factors I was looking for. However, when I thought about the idea of having a fixed lens, that kinda bummed me out on both of those options. Thankfully, on the next counter at B&H sat the K-x, shining in the white I ended up buying it in. I loved the feel and look of the camera, and once playing with it and really wowed by the level of control and precision you can get out of it. Durable as hell, I've carried it around in my backpack or hanging off my neck for 12,000 miles so far and I've had no issues with it. Once I expanded my lens collection a bit (Pentax 50MM 1.4 and Sigma 10-20mm SWA), I've really found that it takes some fantastic photos. I just love this camera!

Note, all shots below are with the kit lens.
Attached Images

12-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #21

[langtitle=ro]Pentax K-x Camera Review[/langtitle]

Pros Super calitate
Cons e loc de mai bin
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 500
Years Owned 2

General

Blitz Integrat:

P-TTL Pop-Up Retractabil
Senzor

Tip Senzor:

CMOS

Rez. Senzor (Mp):

Dimensiune Senzor (Mm):

23.6 X 15.8
Obiectiv

Focalizare:

AF.A(Auto), AF.S(Single, With Focus Lock), AF-C(Continuous), Manual Focus

Viteza Obturator (Secunde):

Manual: 1/6000 - 30
Captare Imagine

Expunere:

±3EV (0.5EV Steps Or 0.3EV Steps)

Rezolutii Foto:

JPEG: [12M] 4288 X 2848, [10M] 3936 X 2624 , [6M] 3072 X 2048, [2M] 1728 X 1152
RAW: [12M] 4288 X 2848

Sensibilitate ISO:

200 - 6400

Format Poze (Tip Fisier):

JPEG, RAW (12bit) (PEF, DNG ), RAW+JPEG

Declansare Automata (Sec):

12 / 2

Fotografiere Continua:

Continuous (Hi, Lo)

Balans Alb:

Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, Fluorescent Light (W, D, N, L (Light Bulb) ), Flash, CTE, Manual Setting

Camera Review
Eu mi-am luat aparatul accidental. Nu cunosteam nimic despre caracteristici, ce face una, ce face alta... M-am ghidat dupa popularitate la unul dintre magazinele cele mai cunoscute din domeniu, si n-am fost dezamagita. Toata lumea ma sfatuia sa aleg dintre un Canon si un Nikon. Am ales Pentax K-X si bine am facut.
12-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #22

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Low-light behavior
Cons no rechargable battery system
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) don't recall the exact price
Years Owned 1

I can't imagine a camera with a better price-performance ratio than this. What it will do for me at the price makes it an outstanding value. Excellent low-light performance.

Camera Review
This is my third Pentax DSLR. The first was the *istDS, followed by the K100D, and now this K-x. Each of them had its individual advantage. The DS produced the most striking direct jpg image, probably due to the sensor mask. The K100D seemed just a lateral move with trade-offs. But the K-x has proven to be a step beyond the other two, with advantages beyond megapixel count.
#1 The first strength that stood out to me was low-light performance. Though obviously surpassed by the K5 and K7, the K-x, at the price, handles shadow areas beautifully. Coupled with this highlight areas do not get washed out as they might have with the sensor/software on the DS.
#2 For my size of hand, the grip is excellent. Feel is important, even more so than people might at first think. A camera has to feel right to be most usable. If your had gets tired then the equipment is hard to use. This camera's design is very well-done. Pentax has succeeded nicely on this.
I could go on. Good battery life. Easy to use with K and M42 lenses. Behaves well in cold weather. Great sensor cleaning system. Just a great piece of engineering from Pentax.

12-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #23

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros light small
Cons dim view finder
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) gift
Years Owned 1 year

excellent low light. great travel camera

Camera Review
slow AF less then average AF in dim light,noisey shudder. dim view finder
poor for movies
eary to use in auto, does a god job in manuel
Kit lens useles
works perfectly with 3rd party lens
batteys are not a problem
12-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #24

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Small and lightweight, great all around performance, HD video, lots of fun digital filters, very low noise at high ISOs
Cons no AF points, LCD could be better
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 500
Years Owned 3 months

Please see my main review below.

Camera Review
I'm very new to the Pentax line of equipment and I must say so far its been great. I recently bought a pentax k-x going from a Nikon D90 mainly because of size and weight. I researched so much on which camera will perform as well as the Nikon D90 but much lighter and smaller and I finally found the perfect one - the Pentax K-x.

It passed my 2 major requirements which is size and weight. During the time I had my D90, I always find myself getting tired of having it in my hand and my neck and also not to mention bringing a big bag where I can keep it. With the Pentax K-x, I hardly notice that I have it. I just have it hanging around my neck and I never felt tired because its so light and since its smaller, I was able to get a smaller lowepro bag to carry with me that's really comfortable.

As for the Pros, I can say that they perform right about the same. Picture quality is the same, I didn't notice any difference on AF, I think the HD video is much better on the K-x plus it lets me record longer clips depending on the size of your memory card, images at higher ISO I think are really much better on the K-x - very very low noise, battery life is about the same - the lithium batteries that came with it I think I was able to pull of around 750 to 1000 shots, live view is ok - I use it when I use my manual lenses, metering seems to perform the same as the D90, as for the Menus, I think it was user friendly as I didn't have a hard time going thru then one more thing I found really good are the digital filters which are fun to use.

As for the Cons, the lack of the AF points I had to compromise but so far I have been ok with it, the LCD I wish it could've been larger and better resolution as you won't really see how good the image is until you transfer it to your computer but again no big deal.

Overall I think the Pentax K-x is really a good value for its price and the features you get out of it. I gave it a 9/10 just because of the 2 cons that I have but so far I've been happy with my decision!
12-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #25

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Many features, low-light performance, sturdy and well built for a plastic body, great dynamic range
Cons Plastic body never beats a metal body, slow LiveView AF, no AF indicator point
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 500
Years Owned Six months

More features and better low light performance than anything in its class make this the best value out there now. It's compact enough to wear around your neck and not really notice. Would make a great backup camera for pros.

Camera Review
I've always been interested in photography, but never really had the money to get into the realm of DSLRs (not to mention feeling a little overwhelmed by everything they do). I finally decided to get a Pentax K-x after much research in July. (I never even heard of Pentax until then.)

I couldn't be happier with the camera. For what I do right now, it's the perfect camera to suit my needs. I haven't been able to buy any real nice lenses, but I like the fact that when I ever do, I have a great camera to use them on.

Everything just feels good. I have never had so much fun taking pictures. Fast shooting speeds, amazing low-light performance, shallow depths of field, and built quality make it so much above all of the point and shoots I've used. My dad bought a pretty darn decent superzoom by Samsung about a week ago and I was playing around with it and I just felt like a couldn't make it do what I wanted it to and promptly went back to my K-x.

Some of my favorite aspects of the camera:
- Dynamic Range
- Being able to take a usable picture at ISO 6400. That's just crazy.
- Sturdy plastic body.
- I'm able to use old manual lenses from the 60s and 70s just fine.
- Shallow depth of field that point and shoot cameras just can't replicate.
- Nicely contrasted and saturated photos.

I've learned so much just from my six months in the world of DSLRs. I feel like I couldn't have made a better choice with the money I had than the Pentax K-x. It's not a perfect camera. The screen could be bigger and higher resolution, LiveView auto-focus could be faster, and there could be AF indicator points.

But who expected a perfect camera for five hundred dollars?
Attached Images

Last edited by JoshRead; 12-04-2010 at 09:36 PM.
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros fast auto focus fast continues shooting large screen and has live view with video mode easy to use
Cons dosent have a battery pack no auto focus pionts in viewfinder. Not many accessories like cable release. not the best build quality seems to be made with cheap plastic
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $619+$150 for protection plan
Years Owned 6 months

this camera is a great value is has the performance of a nikon d90 worth $1200. it has great features very good for sports and low light. very good performance i live in Oklahoma and most of the time we have around 95% humitity and it takes it very well. the size is great very easy to store in a camera bag light wieght.

Camera Review
this is my review about the pentax k-x. this is a amazing camera that has so many features i probably wount get to. well first thing i am 14 and i saved for a along time for this and worked all summer and it was worth it. when i got the camera it was very nicely packed it came with some accessories neck strap, 4 AA energizer lithium batteries USB cord soft wear CD 18-55mm lens with lens caps and body cap and the paper work and instructions. and of course the pentax k-x body. and when i used the camera for the first time it was amazing it was very fast and snappy for the first week or so i kept it in auto mode very acurate and pictures came out with very good quality.
the camera has very fast continues shooting for its class. it has very high iso for its class to very low noise up to 6400 but up to 12800 expanded iso. another great feature is its live view and video. great for low light to. i have a tight buget and since the camera has a built in image stablisation i dont have to pay extra money for is or vr.

i am going to compare the pentax k-x with the nikon d5000 i was going to buy the nikon d5000 but i saw the pentax k-x i nerver heard of pentax at the time but it had more features that the nikon d5000. and it was cheaper. the nikon d5000 has 3.9 fps continues shooting while the pentax k-x has 4.7. another thing is the iso and shutter speed. iso on the pentax k-x is 6400 iso on the d5000 is 3200
and the shutter speed on the pentax is 1/6000 vs 1/4000 you tell me witch one is better. the pentax k-x is a great camera and it was my first dslr and i will buy from pentax again. and to see the power of the pentax l-x look at my flicker acount to see. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49705390@N04/

Last edited by jonrhineberger; 12-05-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
12-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #27
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Great at high ISO, Very user-friendly, Very responsive system, Goog looking camera, AA batteries are very handy, Nice Video quality
Cons No visible Focus points in viewfinder, Video size is huge, white balance always turns more on the white side
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 600
Years Owned Since May 2010

Image Quality
– Superb! OK, as I can read it cannot go really head to head with the big boys, BUT considering my knowledge and history – for me is superb! With great at High ISO and its image stabilizer just excellent!
Features
– it has almost all features I would’ve liked to have on my DSLR! I am saying almost all, because it doesn’t have visible AF points in viewfinder. This has made my life very difficult with manual lenses… I suppose with time, I would be able to learn and use focus points myself. However considering the fact that this is an entry level DSLR, I think this feature should’ve been included in there…

Camera Review
If you are looking for a small DSLR, that would give you great results, with not that much to spend – then this little piece of equipment is just right for you! This is the beginner-friendliest camera that features most of the latest must-haves!
Coming from a points and shoot camera, I was looking for an easy and not an expensive camera to take myself into the DSLR world. And it was a very easy choice to do!

Others
– its video quality is superb, however the size of the file its quite large and not so convenient! Takes too much storage room.
– In general it has a very responsive and easy to use system
– has a huge advantage of mounting some of the old Pentax lenses. This gives so much joy to the user, since with $20 someone can easily get a prime and test his photographic skills! Something that with other brands would’ve cost you x20!
– the fact that it uses AA batteries is a plus, as you can find anywhere these batteries, and for sure you wouldn’t be out of battery anywhere!
– I noticed that many times the white balance turns more into the cool side rather than the natural side. However anyone who is dealing with photography uses Post Processing, thus this doesn’t bother me so much.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1000  Photo 
12-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #28
Forum Member

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros compact form-factor, great sensor
Cons small buffer for continuous shooting
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 300 (bought used)
Years Owned 1

Great form factor, nice and small for small hands. Great value for an HD video SLR with Live view.

Camera Review
I bought this camera after using a Pentax camera for my photography class in College, (I believe it was a Pentax 100D) and I liked it so much I decided to get a Pentax of my own.

I could not be happier with the camera so far. It has done everything I've wanted it to do. Sensor is really nice, and seems to do really well in Low light in the high-iso ranges. I love the live view feature, which isn’t always useful but has its place. The 720 video is perfect for me (film student) when I want to shoot some shorts instead of using my actual video camera (in some cases it works better/looks better). If only it had 1080 or more frame rate options built in, but it still offers a lot in the video portion.

My favorite part about it is the form factor. It is perfect for my smaller hands and doesn't seem too bulky when carrying it around. I upgraded from a Canon S3 IS which is a Point and shoot/crossover SLR like camera which is a small form factor. This was the perfect step up from that camera ( I really needed the Raw support).

This camera shoots really fast (fps wise) but one gripe is that when shooting Raw it can only take so many photos before having to slow down. A little bit of a bigger buffer would have been nice. Shooting jpg the buffer allows you to shoot a lot longer, but who wants to just shoot jpg?

If you're new to DSLR's, or are just looking for a solid DSLR, you will not be disappointed with this camera. In my opinion it out-performs its Nikon and Canon competitors (I forget which models these are exactly, but I did do a side by side comparison when shopping around) and if I remember correctly is cheaper than both. Nowadays you’re paying for the Nikon or Canon name, but you really want the Pentax.
12-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #29

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros EVERYTHING
Cons NONE
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) 600
Years Owned 1

Value of this camera cannot be beaten!

Camera Review
I received the Pentax k-x for Christmas last year (2009) from my wife. I have always been a shutterbug. Until I got the K-x I was restricted to mundane point and shoot pictures of family events, friends, and pets as subjects. The k-x made me feel like a pro! I absolutely love it! Since I got it I have a whole new world to shoot. My creativity has blossomed since I got my K-x. I go out and shoot everything now. I love to shoot landscapes, skylines, creative portraits, and whatever my heart desires. The K-x makes anything look great. I’m so pleased with the versatility and image quality of such an inexpensive camera. I have a few fiends that are professionals and I’ve gone on a few shoots with them and they are impressed as well. They are shooting with $2000 camera bodies with $1500 lenses, at the end of the day you can’t even tell the images I shoot with my K-x from the ones they shot with their pro gear that easily cost 3x what my K-x did. The features of the K-x are great too. You get the freedom to use whatever aperture, shutter, ISO, or creative filter settings you want or you can set it to auto and let the cam do all the work. What a balanced entry level DSLR! I gush to everyone I know about how much this camera does. Pentax has won me over as a lifetime loyal customer. I don’t have one bad thing to say about any of the many Pentax products I now own. I will be upgrading to a more professional DSLR soon and no doubt it will be another Pentax. The K-x isn’t going to be forgotten though, it is still my first DSLR love. Pentaxians unite, lets support the band that has done so much to support us! I can’t wait to check out the new lenses Pentax has made.
12-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x Camera Review

Pros Really good image quality, low noise
Cons Lack of autofocus confirmation lights
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 500
Years Owned 1

Good image quality.

Camera Review
This is the best camera I have so far, is really versatile, and the image quality is astounding (actually I was the envy in my work )

The camera has a really good feel, and the options are endless.

Also, I think it has the best bang for the buck.

The only problem is the lack of autofocus confirmation, but is not a dealbreaker for me, I think I can live without it.

I will strongly recommend this camera for any one that wants to buy a DSLR for the first time, is definitively a no brainer.
Closed Thread