Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High temperature issues?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, and the mods can move it if so...

I have a K100 I'd like to keep in the car glovebox with lens for opportunity shots, but I'm wondering if there is a temperature issue for camera/lens.

I know low temperatures can retard performance, but how about high temperatures? We're talking Arizona hot here. If anybody has experience with this it would help. Thanks,
Brian

09-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't know absolute numbers, but I leave my K10D in the car a lot here in East Timor. Have not seen any adverse effects. (I actually think the camera gets hotter when I take it outside in the sun)
09-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Read the manual. Max temp 104F. Internal car temps in AZ exceed that by a long shot. Why would you do that? Do you leave your CD's and prescription glasses in your car too? Probably not a good idea if you want your camera to operate for the long haul.
09-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're probably right...

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Read the manual. Max temp 104F. Internal car temps in AZ exceed that by a long shot. Why would you do that? Do you leave your CD's and prescription glasses in your car too? Probably not a good idea if you want your camera to operate for the long haul.
Well. it says the range for "camera use" extends to 104, but I've had the camera out in direct sun in 110+ temperatures for extended periods and haven't seen any performance issues. And I would like get some of the shots I'm missing just before banging my head into the steering wheel and muttering "...and why didn't I bring a camera."

But your advice is probably sound,
Brian

09-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, but ours is a dry heat hehehehehe

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
I don't know absolute numbers, but I leave my K10D in the car a lot here in East Timor. Have not seen any adverse effects. (I actually think the camera gets hotter when I take it outside in the sun)
Thanks for the response. You have heat, plus humidity, to deal with that we don't have in Arizona. As they say here, it's a dry heat... but then so is an oven.,
Brian
09-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Heat can be really nasty on the lens. The grease used to lube the lens can "melt" and get into the aperture blades. Very bad for older lenses. Maybe less so for modern lenses.

Everything I have ever owned, when pushed to extemes (ie high heat) kills it faster then treated gently.

Try leaving a point and shoot in the glove box and see how that goes. Maybe the camera is ok. Maybe you find you never use it. Maybe the P&S dies under a melted bag of halloween candy.
09-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I know low temperatures can retard performance, but how about high temperatures?
Your Tamron 28-75 lens won't like high temperatures that's for sure. Peter Zack reckons the barrel is made of plastic and reported Tamron suggested that the problems he had with the lens came from leaving it in a hot car.