Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Considering upgrade to K7

But... outside of the video what are the top 3 reasons to move up to the K7... or more if you care to elaborate...

Secondly, what are used K20D's going for these days? Very good condition.

Thanks,

Ken

09-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Read through the forum for a few minutes and I bet you will find your answers as well as endless information about questions you haven't thought of yet.

Jason
09-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The top reasons to upgrade to a K7 are too intricate and personal for me to get into, there are tons of great threads here on that subject.

But I can comment on the used K20D value, and that it seems they go from anywhere between $500 and $650 depending on condition and what extra accessories are included. I just sold mine for $550 and it was in perfect condition with the original box and 2 batteries, and the buyer and I were both happy with the price.
09-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TOP 3 Reasons would be:

1.> lowlight performance (faster focusing)
2.> AWB is accurate
3.> oh the metering

other reasons below the top 3:
very good ISO 1600 results
some lenses work like magic on the K-7
very nice viewfinder and 100% coverage
LV is now useful in shooting as opposed to the K20D.

annoying things about the K-7:

SDHC latch is still tight as hell.

interesting fact that I noticed between the K-7 and K20D:

IQ difference is not that far off between the two, unless if you would consider HIGH ISO noise performance and useability. oh, did I say that the K-7 works great under lowlight?

09-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just going to +1 Pentaxor's response, but I'll word it a bit differently...
  1. Focus Performance - especially in low light, but even in broad daylight, the K-7 stomps on the K20D. I had to use my K20d exclusively last week because I had lost the battery charger for my K-7 - anyway, it felt like the AF was broken on the K20D when compared to the K-7 - it's that big a difference! (even in bright light).
  2. Auto WB is phenomenal! (works like something called "auto" should - automatically).
  3. The metering is way smarter. I tend to use matrix metering to the exclusion of all else, and use +/- EV to compensate when I see something in the scene which will throw off the average of the scene - for instance if half the photo is a huge white cumulus cloud on my K20d, I'd push +.7 EV right off the bat, and probably get the exposure about right... On the K-7, I just take the picture, and apparently the camera thinks something like, "Oh, there's a big white area surrounded by blue, with brown and green below it - that must be a cloud, I'll expose so that it's white but only blown in a few tiny spots." It's really impressive...

Now to break the rules (extra positives)...
  • the feel and the sound of the shutter - awesome.
  • The live view is usable (not that I've used it yet, but I'm sure I will ).
  • The "Info" screen, while confusing (to me) at first, is awesome - way superior to standard menus for checking status and changing it.
  • Auto-leveling is available so I don't need to buy a bubble level to stick on the flash bracket for level landscapes.
  • 5 FPS!
  • The lock button on the mode knob is awesome, so I don't end up on some mystery mode when I thought I was in Av.
  • Video is Awesome!

Negatives...
  • I don't feel that high ISO shots look as good as from my K20D - this makes me sad and a little angry ... now I can AF in dim environments, but the shots don't look as good. (hopefully I just haven't learned how to optomize for best results in these conditions)
  • I don't like the "pages" style menus - I prefer the vertically oriented menu (but whatever).
  • The price of the grip is high (and I can't buy $10 awesome Minolta batteries for spares)
  • AF.C is improved, but the camera wont fire 5fps while tracking with AF.C - disapointing.