Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #1

Cross Process mode

I heard the K-x has a Cross Process mode.
Is it activate during rec mode (no need to post-processing)?
Is it a software implementation? is it possible pentax release a firmware upgrade for K-7?

09-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe its JPEG post-capture processing. The cute part of it is the K-X has added Randomnes to the effect...ie. you don't know exactly what "cross-processing effect" the camera adds until you see the result on the LCD screen....

The K-7 has various JPEG processing filters which can alter the photo in really unusual ways, especially since you can apply whatever combinations of them. I've tried substituting a few colours, changing hues etc....just having some fun with it.

You have to do the setting, so its not random on the K-7
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If only they'd upgrade the firmware for the K20D for these interesting modes. =)
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Reply from Pentax Imaging Technical Support

Cross Processing is a digital filter function that is unique to the K-x. Although we have not heard this from Pentax Japan I doubt there will be a firmware upgrade for the K-7 that would incorporate this functionality. It is more likely that this feature would be included on a new model when it comes out.

10-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

re to kittykat46 re pentax k-7 cross processing effect

this is to kittykat46,

could you please elaborate further as to the cross processing results the k-7 can do manually like the new cross process mode with the penatx k-x.could you post examples please.
kind regards,
millispartners
10-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

kitty kat have you got some cross processing looking shots done in the k-7 you could show please? i am looking at getting the k-7, i was just curious can it do cross processig effect maually like the cross process mode that the k-x has.
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't understand why you would want processing like this in the camera
10-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
Inactive Account

what i like about having the possibility of the cross process mode in the camera(k-7x?) is that because i am one of the many dslr uses that likes getting results straight out of the camera, to capture the moment in the look i want straight away, and not do it post shooting in post processing. To me post digital processing is not enjoyable, i.e i shoot black and white for a reason, so i dont want to make it black and white in post processing, it is a killjoy for me; to each there own. I am a filter lover, like many other uses and my friends.

10-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

i support the thinking behind yipchunyu. if i had a k-7 now, i would be frustrated as a purchaser that the cross process mode has just come out and that you cant get it on the k-7.
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The filters are within the K-7 though (there are also many filter options in the K20 as well, though not as fleshed out as the K7 - BUT, they are there - in the playback menus you can find them), the cross process is just randomly adding different effects to your photos - which I would find interesting, so long as you get a cross processed photo and also the standard output to choose between (I am assuming this would be so, otherwise I would never bother with this mode).
10-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a cute function, but would always prefer to do such processing on the computer where I can actually have control and see what is going on.