Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax in Rapid launch mode?

1 DSLR in 2007
2 in 2008
3 in 2009 (so far)

And BAM!, when you least expect it, a K-FF (full frame)? No reason why they couldn't if they've already worked on a medium format version. Besides, Hoya would want to sell a whole new set of glass.

Keep it coming

09-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They would have to design, develop, test and manufacture the glass first. If they could do this, they would not have delayed the 60-250 for so long...

I still fail to understand why so many people want full frame so badly. The current designs work, don't they?
09-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
They would have to design, develop, test and manufacture the glass first. If they could do this, they would not have delayed the 60-250 for so long...
Did their corporate HQ burn down, destroying all their records? Or do they still have all their notes on the F, FA, and D FA lenses?.. I don't think it would be hard for Pentax to update FA designs with some "digital coatings" and quick shift clutches (hopefully they'll give up on the failed SDM experiment for now), and Bam! In the fight with already acclaimed full frame lenses!
09-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it is just a mental hang up. I am sure that APS-C sensors 2 years from now would put the FF sensors of now to shame. But Moore's law probably is applicable to sensors too.

My primary hangup is collecting a bunch of lenses that would not work on FF. I could, of course, collect a bunch of FA lenses and limit the DA selection to only a wide to normal zoom.

When I had a Sony, I collected every Minolta AF lens that I could. When I got rid of the Sony, I chose to keep the lenses, primarily because FFs are going to get cheaper. (BTW, I feel the Pentax lenses are much superior and I also prefer the Pentax bodies that I've had to the Sony bodies).

Would the glass they would have to design be significantly different that the FAs? The frame size, after all would be the same.

What are the barriers to entry into the FF? What kind of fab does Sony churn out their sensors from? Anyone know where their fab is located?

09-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They have a new 12" fab -

Slow download of pdf of their fab

I would have thought that someone would be churning out large CMOS sensors out of a shuttered fully-depreciated 8" DRAM fab on the cheap.

12" fabs typically costs about $3 Billion to set up and Samsung has a bunch of those. Maybe even more than Intel.
09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

if ever Pentax would finally decide to release an FF dslr, expect that there would be an increase in demand and increase in prices of FF lenses, including the old K/M/A lenses. FAs would surely increase to about 4X. so start buying those FA LTDs while they are still affordable.
09-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if ever Pentax would finally decide to release an FF dslr, expect that there would be an increase in demand and increase in prices of FF lenses, including the old K/M/A lenses. FAs would surely increase to about 4X. so start buying those FA LTDs while they are still affordable.
Shhh! Hope nobody's been listening