Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Second hand K20: what to check out

Dear Pentax users,
i'm here for some advices.

I'm about to buy a second hand K20D. It is 4 months old and has done no more than 1500 shots.
I come from a K10D, so, externally, i should be able to check that everything is fine.

My biggest concern is about the inner parts of the camera. I've heard that the K20 can identify burnt pixels and remap the sensor. Is there a way, from the menu, to know how many pixels have been deactivated? I also know that the software can identify dust over the sensor and automatically correct the pictures taken.
Is there's a way to know what job the software is doing with dust, without raising the mirror in a underground station where the trade will be held? (it would be very uncomfortable)

I'm also open to any advice regarding the case.

Thanks a lot for all the help you will give to me

Regards.

09-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiMan Quote
Dear Pentax users,
i'm here for some advices.

I'm about to buy a second hand K20D. It is 4 months old and has done no more than 1500 shots.
I come from a K10D, so, externally, i should be able to check that everything is fine.

My biggest concern is about the inner parts of the camera. I've heard that the K20 can identify burnt pixels and remap the sensor. Is there a way, from the menu, to know how many pixels have been deactivated? I also know that the software can identify dust over the sensor and automatically correct the pictures taken.
Is there's a way to know what job the software is doing with dust, without raising the mirror in a underground station where the trade will be held? (it would be very uncomfortable)

I'm also open to any advice regarding the case.

Thanks a lot for all the help you will give to me

Regards.
Bring a flashlight and look for any marks on the LCD top/back. Look the body over as well, try all buttons/controls. Take a pic and pop the SD card into a notebook if you can. The dust mapping does nothing but take a pic and shows you where the dust is, for you to remove cleaning the sensor, it does not remove the dust or map it out or anything, no need to worry about it. The pixel mapping function is best run once/twice a year, or if you see dead pixels. The pixel mapping won't remove good pixels only bad. So... what ever it did there is no harm. But there are reasons not to run it everyday, a bit more than I have time to get into. And its only others IMO no hard facts or statements from Pentax about how many times you can run it, and or if its reset by the menu "reset" option. Basically what I am saying is with only 1500 pics (like new) and assuming the sensor is OK the Pixel-mapping should be no problem as well. Good luck.
09-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Buy from Pentax Forums members who offer money back guarantee (I do, but don't have a K20D to sell).

The most you can lose is the return shipping cost.