Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #31

ahh choices, choices...

either I sucessfuly convince my dad to get the K-x for himself to replace the istD, or get a k-7 and trade it for my k10+grip(his idea, at the price of my conscious).....

The last year he been mostly using it for family reunions, weddings , family portraits etc...
A lot of low light (churches, chapels, castles) situations; something light and discreet (to the point where he likes using the 18-200mm...), good autofocus ..... Makes the K-x a good choice for him i think.

09-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Tried the 55-300 out side-by-side with the FA...great image quality, weird AF. Even inside the photo shop, the DA couldn't find focus some of the time.
I don't know what you mean in saying "even" inside the photo shop - that kind of low light is exactly where you'd *expect* AF to struggle a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about how it performs in those conditions if it performs well in "regular" conditions. Unless you are imagining this being primarily for use indoors. In which case, I suggest you're looking at the wrong lenses, anyhow - you should be look at faster (larger maximum aperture) lenses.
09-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know what you mean in saying "even" inside the photo shop - that kind of low light is exactly where you'd *expect* AF to struggle a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about how it performs in those conditions if it performs well in "regular" conditions. Unless you are imagining this being primarily for use indoors. In which case, I suggest you're looking at the wrong lenses, anyhow - you should be look at faster (larger maximum aperture) lenses.
This was in their old store with big south-facing windows, on a sunny day, in the afternoon. Don't think I have any of the pics I took, anymore.

The point of the comparison (and general "what is going on here?") is that the old, FA-era lens at half the price of the new, shiny, DA was outperforming its newer counterpart in my opinion. Whether I was in the Cave of the Mounds or the Mojave Desert...side-by-side...I didn't like how the DA performed compared to a somewhat-loved-somewhat-maligned lens.

If I get the chance to take a DA out(side) I'd like to try it again. But at that time, my reasoning went like: "If it can't keep up with this shitty lens..."
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

This was in their old store with big south-facing windows, on a sunny day, in the afternoon. Don't think I have any of the pics I took, anymore.

The point of the comparison (and general "what is going on here?") is that the old, FA-era lens at half the price of the new, shiny, DA was outperforming its newer counterpart in my opinion. Whether I was in the Cave of the Mounds or the Mojave Desert...side-by-side...I didn't like how the DA performed compared to a somewhat-loved-somewhat-maligned lens.

If I get the chance to take a DA out(side) I'd like to try it again. But at that time, my reasoning went like: "If it can't keep up with this shitty lens..."
LOL ! are you taking out the same lens over and over? bad copy?

09-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Too bad. Because our eyes adjust very quickly and effectively to the lower light levels indoors (pupils dilate within a fraction of second), we often don't realize just how much lower those light levels are, but the EXIF info in those pictures would have told the story. Even with big windows during the day, light levels indoors are almost always much lower than anything you'd encounter outside, and get into territory where a lens can hunt. So I'm just saying that while the 55-300 may have hunted more in those conditions, you might find it faster outside.

QuoteQuote:
The point of the comparison (and general "what is going on here?") is that the old, FA-era lens at half the price of the new, shiny, DA was outperforming its newer counterpart in my opinion.
In that one respect - low light AF - yes. My point is, you might find the DA actually focuses faster than the FA in better light. And in any event, focus speed isn't really the main thing a lens manufacturer normally tries to optimize. It's not unusual at all that some of the very best lenses might focus more slowly than much worse counterparts. Or they might focus faster. Luck of the draw, really - like comparing two cars on the basis of number of cupholders. Random chance as to whether the better car will turn out to have more cupholders or not.
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
LOL ! are you taking out the same lens over and over? bad copy?
The DA? I only tried it once...never felt compelled to test it again :ugh:

I've been pretty content with my FA overall...
09-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Too bad. Because our eyes adjust very quickly and effectively to the lower light levels indoors (pupils dilate within a fraction of second), we often don't realize just how much lower those light levels are, but the EXIF info in those pictures would have told the story. Even with big windows during the day, light levels indoors are almost always much lower than anything you'd encounter outside, and get into territory where a lens can hunt. So I'm just saying that while the 55-300 may have hunted more in those conditions, you might find it faster outside.

In that one respect - low light AF - yes. My point is, you might find the DA actually focuses faster than the FA in better light. And in any event, focus speed isn't really the main thing a lens manufacturer normally tries to optimize. It's not unusual at all that some of the very best lenses might focus more slowly than much worse counterparts. Or they might focus faster. Luck of the draw, really - like comparing two cars on the basis of number of cupholders. Random chance as to whether the better car will turn out to have more cupholders or not.
Yeah, I definitely have to assume it would do well out in natural light. It just kept hunting and hunting...
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

You might want to at least consider the fact the other people have actually successfully used the DA55-300 and love it as evidence that just perhaps it isn't completely useless. But do what you want.

09-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The DA? I only tried it once...never felt compelled to test it again :ugh:

I've been pretty content with my FA overall...
I guess you are pretty much content with the FA even before the start of this discussion. from your POV, you might have encountered that performace problem. but as a DA 55-300 owner, I say otherwise that it's been really useful and more than capable of producing above good results. it's not a DA 50-135 nor a DA 200, but it's capable of getting the job done. FWIW, it definitely produces way better results than the FA 320mm zoom could offer.

I just want to quote creampuff' statement about the DA:

"Well for one, the focus throw from infinity to min focusing distance is quite a lot.
Secondly this lens is not even f/5.6 racked out at 300mm (why f/5.8?), so the camera's AF will struggle to lock focus and hunt when the light levels are low.
It definitely focuses faster on the K-7 than on the K20D."

and a statement from jeff who is a recent DA owner:

"Yeah, I'll attest to the reality that focus speed can be slow, especially when going from minimum focus to infinity and back.

After shooting my son's soccer game over the weekend, you can cut the delay by pre-focusing on either end of the range with quick shift before hitting AF/shutter."

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-22-2009 at 02:11 PM.
09-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #40
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 55-300 focuses for me just fine - even in mediocre light.
Slow? Yes - probably the slowest lens I have, close to my FA 100/2.8 macro.
But consider the focus throw, just like the FA 100 macro and you soon realise why.
Don't expect the world from a consumer lens that just happens to have the IQ of a more expensive lens.
09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
But consider the focus throw, just like the FA 100 macro and you soon realise why.
Don't expect the world from a consumer lens that just happens to have the IQ of a more expensive lens.

this is where a focus limiter comes in handy. with it, for sure it would be a better lens in terms of AF performance. on the other hand, this is exactly one of the reasons why the quick-shift exist. faster AF thru easy MF adjustment. I don't think the FA has either both a focus limiter or a quickshift.
09-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

regardless of if it's heavy, i think the lenses you use make a big difference in terms of weight balance.

Plus, I have smaller hands and still need a grip otherwise i feel like my pinky is slipping.

Do you need/want the video?
Do you like being able to shoot with one hand?
Will you miss the weather sealing?
Does the weight really bother you?
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I guess you are pretty much content with the FA even before the start of this discussion. from your POV, you might have encountered that performace problem. but as a DA 55-300 owner, I say otherwise that it's been really useful and more than capable of producing above good results. it's not a DA 50-135 nor a DA 200, but it's capable of getting the job done. FWIW, it definitely produces way better results than the FA 320mm zoom could offer.
I became content after deciding against getting the DA. Part of it is the FF capability for film, only needing one set of lenses. I really want a 300mm prime but that's in a different category of lens versus these little (when stored) lenses.

Part of it was my determination not to buy every lens I want(ed)...
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The focus throw of my lens is about 300 degrees...
this is where a focus limiter comes in handy. with it, for sure it would be a better lens in terms of AF performance. on the other hand, this is exactly one of the reasons why the quick-shift exist. faster AF thru easy MF adjustment. I don't think the FA has either both a focus limiter or a quickshift.
Someone needs to make a limiter inside the camera as firmware, like SR. The camera already records info on the lens...why not have a limiter?

My FA has neither, true. The latter is what annoys me...plenty.
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
regardless of if it's heavy, i think the lenses you use make a big difference in terms of weight balance.

Plus, I have smaller hands and still need a grip otherwise i feel like my pinky is slipping.

Do you need/want the video?
Do you like being able to shoot with one hand?
Will you miss the weather sealing?
Does the weight really bother you?
Well...I prefer the M28 with the M50 for a street kit, or the 18-55 kit. The M's are tiny...it's great

If I were to answer the questions (my opinion)...

Don't care either way about video. Might be nice here n there but not a "must-have"
One hand-capable camera would be nice with a drink in the other
Weather sealing with no DA*s or WRs...don't have much else to say about that...
The weight is becoming kinda cumbersome for me. I can deal with it, and I could also deal with lighter
09-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Can you afford to have both?
Sadly not.

To follow-up on the subject, I sold the K10d + kit lens + one of my M50\2 for a total of $500. Someone got a bargain

Now will be toying with my ME Super before K-x becomes available.
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #45

switching from km to k10d?

I have a km and have played with the kx, both great cameras. One thing that I don't like are that there is no viewfinder indication of which auto focus point is being used, generally not much of an issue usually shooting center anyway but can be annoying when tracking moving targets. Also the lack of hard buttons. Especially for metering and auto focus modes. I really like how the K10/20D are laid out. In fact im considering selling my km to pickup a k10d I found for only 350$. Im not a very experienced photographer but I find myself switching between spot and area metering alot and center and multi point auto focus these options are all menu based on km/kx