Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From K10D to K-x. Why not?

Hello Gentlemen,

I need a bit of advice here. I`m thinking of going from K10D to smaller K-x camera. The only con. that has been outlined is the lack of visible selection of focus point. This doesn't apply to me since i`m taught by Pentax AF system to use central AF point and recompose \ AE-lock anyway.

On the good sides for me is 1) size 2) New AF algorithms like those in k-7 3) Video, etc, etc..

Anything I`m missing a catch here?

Please advise...

09-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there's much of a catch - just depends what you prefer in features and customisability.
The K10D is a fine camera - I wonder what the real benefit in high ISO noise would be with the K-x, but I'd be thinking it will be a significant step up.

Then if you like video, this will be a no-brainer - otherwise you would have to go with the K-7 (which would be my suggestion unless funds don't permit...)
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Hello Gentlemen,

I need a bit of advice here. I`m thinking of going from K10D to smaller K-x camera. The only con. that has been outlined is the lack of visible selection of focus point. This doesn't apply to me since i`m taught by Pentax AF system to use central AF point and recompose \ AE-lock anyway.

On the good sides for me is 1) size 2) New AF algorithms like those in k-7 3) Video, etc, etc..

Anything I`m missing a catch here?

Please advise...
I have a K10D and a KM. I use the KM for a daily carry around and a second body with my K10D being the main body.

I'm very impressed with the KX ...video, 100-12800 ISO, etc.

But i like a camera that's weather proofed and I think more rugged than the KX...which is the K10D.

On the other hand the KX is a very good deal for the features.

I think what I would do...dependent on budget considerations is look at the K7.

But, except for the lack of a magnesium body and the presumably more rugged components...you have to wonder is the K7 worth twice as much as the KX ?

That's a good question.

I do all the things with my KM that I do with my K10D if that helps and the pix are just as good and the KM goes to ISO 32000 vs the K10D 1600...but the KX goes to 12800 ISO...wonder how good it is...noise wise...at 12800?

I routinely use 800 to 1600 ISO on my KM and it's not bad.
09-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is much lighter than the K10D, about 200g I believe. For me that would be an advantage. If you're reading this Santa.....

09-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

if the K-x costs for about 500 bucks, then why not? it seems to be a slight upgrade from the K20D. though some essential features from the K20D are missing in the K-x. I wouldn't say that this camera is the budget K-7, but rather a successor to the K-m. from the looks of it, it rivals the Canon T1i and Nikon 5000.
09-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call any of these "catches" - these are kind of inherent in the K-x being an "entry level" model wheras the K10D is not, but the following will also feel like a step backwards:

- viewfinder
- only one control wheel
- no weather sealing

Personally, I'd make the switch in an instant, but each of those would be worth giving a moment's thought to.
09-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I too am considering doing this swap.

Pretty much all my gear is lightweight/tiny but the K10D is sooooo heavy.

Here we are again, Marc, talking deal breakers

For me...the lack of a grip might be *the* deal breaker since I have big hands. It makes the K10D comfortable but also bigger and heavier. I refuse to use the camera without it...the pinky finger sticking off the camera is incredibly fatiguing to my hand (kind weird how bad it really is).

I've never held a K-m so I don't know if it'll feel right. My Rebel 300D was a little bigger than the 350/400/450D's. The 300 felt nice...the others, too small. So I think the feel is my #1 deal breaker.

Also kinda worried about the viewfinder. It needs to manually focus well.

But the K-x will be worth it if the high ISO is usuable. I keep away from even 800 on my K10D.

I don't see any negs of the K-x besides it might be too small for me and the viewfinder might not be bright enough. Weather sealing is nice...but I don't have any DA* lenses as of yet

09-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for input everyone.

Among significant things you lot mentioned the worst for me is the viewfinder I think. I use MF a lot.
Guess I`ll wait for sample pics with hi ISO. If its any good, I`ll sell my trusty K10D and get myself a K-x.
09-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If the high ISO samples are good enough, this is exactly what I'm doing.
09-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Right now I'm taking a risk and going for the K20D variant, the GX20 before checking with the K-x image quality. But overall the K-x does have faster FPS, live view, video recording, and all that extra bonus. I have the K-m and it feels good on my hands, I've felt the Canon 50D at best buy and it feels even better because I have long fingers. The number one drawback I have with my K-m is the small viewfinder, it cuts off a lot on the corners when looking through it, I can't see the full picture and I can't use the magnifier because I wear glasses. My friend has a Nikon D5000 and the viewfinder seems so much nicer.
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I too am considering doing this swap.

Pretty much all my gear is lightweight/tiny but the K10D is sooooo heavy.

Here we are again, Marc, talking deal breakers

For me...the lack of a grip might be *the* deal breaker since I have big hands. It makes the K10D comfortable but also bigger and heavier. I refuse to use the camera without it...the pinky finger sticking off the camera is incredibly fatiguing to my hand (kind weird how bad it really is).

I've never held a K-m so I don't know if it'll feel right. My Rebel 300D was a little bigger than the 350/400/450D's. The 300 felt nice...the others, too small. So I think the feel is my #1 deal breaker.

Also kinda worried about the viewfinder. It needs to manually focus well.

But the K-x will be worth it if the high ISO is usuable. I keep away from even 800 on my K10D.

I don't see any negs of the K-x besides it might be too small for me and the viewfinder might not be bright enough. Weather sealing is nice...but I don't have any DA* lenses as of yet
Ryan S; I tried both K-7 and K-x today at Henrys. Although when you look at them separately, the size seems to be the same; when they are both side-by-side, there is a difference. The K-7 is much better as the grip/handle is bigger and the weigh seems to make your hold firmer (even without the grip). The K-x handle is narrower and there is no grip available.
09-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a K10D and a KM. I use the KM for a daily carry around and a second body with my K10D being the main body.

I'm very impressed with the KX ...video, 100-12800 ISO, etc.

But i like a camera that's weather proofed and I think more rugged than the KX...which is the K10D.

On the other hand the KX is a very good deal for the features.

I think what I would do...dependent on budget considerations is look at the K7.

But, except for the lack of a magnesium body and the presumably more rugged components...you have to wonder is the K7 worth twice as much as the KX ?

That's a good question.

I do all the things with my KM that I do with my K10D if that helps and the pix are just as good and the KM goes to ISO 32000 vs the K10D 1600...but the KX goes to 12800 ISO...wonder how good it is...noise wise...at 12800?

I routinely use 800 to 1600 ISO on my KM and it's not bad.
Lesmore49; I too look for the upgrade to K-7. I tested the K-7 today at Pentax promo; it looks good all around which is a likely a worthwhile jump from K10; just the video feature alone is pretty good. Keeping in mind that taking video with the size of camera like K-7 is better than heavier camera such as 5D2 as you will be looking at the LV screen. I am also in agreement with you that weather seal (dust and water) is important and also one that can withstand cold temperature. Although I did not test drive the K-x as much as the K-7 (as that was what I am interested). The K-x is equally impressive in terms of AF speed and IQ. Since it is Penta-mirror viewfinder with 96% field of view and .85x so it is not comparable to the K-7. But for the price of K-x and the features, it is quite a deal for entry level camera. The Pentax rep showed me a picture taken at 12800 ISO, not bad but usable as you have expected. Here is the best part of the K-7; although I don't expect to wash my camera everyday like this.

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Lesmore49; I too look for the upgrade to K-7. I tested the K-7 today at Pentax promo; it looks good all around which is a likely a worthwhile jump from K10; just the video feature alone is pretty good. Keeping in mind that taking video with the size of camera like K-7 is better than heavier camera such as 5D2 as you will be looking at the LV screen. I am also in agreement with you that weather seal (dust and water) is important and also one that can withstand cold temperature. Although I did not test drive the K-x as much as the K-7 (as that was what I am interested). The K-x is equally impressive in terms of AF speed and IQ. Since it is Penta-mirror viewfinder with 96% field of view and .85x so it is not comparable to the K-7. But for the price of K-x and the features, it is quite a deal for entry level camera. The Pentax rep showed me a picture taken at 12800 ISO, not bad but usable as you have expected. Here is the best part of the K-7; although I don't expect to wash my camera everyday like this.
photos like these makes me wanna give my K-7 a shower.
09-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You say you saw the 12800 samples from the K-x? How good are they compared to any other cameras that have that ability?
09-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Regarding the viewfinder, it's the same as the *istDL, K100D, K110D, K200D, and K-m. Slightly smaller than the K10D, but still perfectly usable for MF, I think. Although I ended up getting an O-ME53 magnifier for my K200D's viewfinder, making it more or less the same size as the K10D. I probably focus manual at leats half the time (my most user lenses include the M28/2.8 and M135/3.5). It is noticeably dimmer with slow lenses like the kit lens, but I don't tend to want to focus that one manually.