Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I am starting to crack

I think I will be just doing casual lurking in the forums for a little while.

The wait for the K10D is starting to get unbearable, after seeing so many announcements by different Pentax websites and mangers of WHEN this camera is due for release. I am just about ready to forget it for awhile.

Perhaps I should have waited until the actual release before deciding to go in whole hog for a DSLR system like this.

but the latest issue is now some in Pentax UK area are saying that a December release date is comming to light.

11-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Never, Never, Never, GIVE UP. Yes it is taking Pentax a while to get their s*** together but I assure you it will be worth the wait. I have been a Pentax user for 40n years and I have seen this come and go.

If You are new to the DSLR I wouldn't suggest the K10D anyway. You need to first understand digital photography and the use of your camera before you pick a semi pro camera and expect to be a great photographer. The camera is the tool and only the tool. Untill you understand what makes a good picture and one that has the WOW effect, you simply can't expect that by picking up a Semi Pro camera automaticly will make you an Ansel Adams.

You have to explore the in's and out's You need to be able to post process to get what you want and be able to know if it is good quality or junk. Any p&S will give you great family shots or an ocasional nice nature shot. But if you don't understand what makes up the composition, lighting, color balance, or how to use a lens and camera to it's fullest, then Don't go jumping into a Semi Pro camera and find out you just made a very costly mistake.

the K100D is one fine camera and will do everything you want it to do, So are the istD series, they aren't as costly but until you master the art of photography they will be a great tool.

If you are experienced and really want a great camera then Wait. But don't give up. You will only kick your A** when you find out you could have waited and got what you wnated. Don't listen to the NAY sayers. stay the course and soon, very soon you will find the happiness and delight this art has to give.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice.

I am not new to digital photography per sae, I use Nikon D70's and occasionally i use a D2X at work But I can not bring myself to use government equipment for my personal stuff at home, its just not right.

Stupid ethics, I know but there it is. I also have a relative who is giving me some Pentak K lenses as soon as I get the camera.

I might just change to the K1000D and order the K10D body down the road.
11-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

k100d is a great cam. Fun to use it and easy to carry.

It is not the wait of k10d being painful. Just scared that you would never wait to have the cams enough in stock...

11-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Never, Never, Never, GIVE UP. Yes it is taking Pentax a while to get their s*** together but I assure you it will be worth the wait. I have been a Pentax user for 40n years and I have seen this come and go.

If You are new to the DSLR I wouldn't suggest the K10D anyway. You need to first understand digital photography and the use of your camera before you pick a semi pro camera and expect to be a great photographer. The camera is the tool and only the tool. Untill you understand what makes a good picture and one that has the WOW effect, you simply can't expect that by picking up a Semi Pro camera automaticly will make you an Ansel Adams.

You have to explore the in's and out's You need to be able to post process to get what you want and be able to know if it is good quality or junk. Any p&S will give you great family shots or an ocasional nice nature shot. But if you don't understand what makes up the composition, lighting, color balance, or how to use a lens and camera to it's fullest, then Don't go jumping into a Semi Pro camera and find out you just made a very costly mistake.

the K100D is one fine camera and will do everything you want it to do, So are the istD series, they aren't as costly but until you master the art of photography they will be a great tool.

If you are experienced and really want a great camera then Wait. But don't give up. You will only kick your A** when you find out you could have waited and got what you wnated. Don't listen to the NAY sayers. stay the course and soon, very soon you will find the happiness and delight this art has to give.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
I have to agree for the most part. but there are other things that could attract someone to the K10 before the K100:
IMHO, I think the k10 will be easier and much faster to change setting because of the intuitive way the dials are. The one thing I really don't like is having to go through a maze of menus (not refuring to the k100 but in general) and it seems the dials have EXACTLY the features I am looking for right away.
The 22 bit digital to anolog conversion could give better pictures, and anyone can benifit from that.
weather proof.
One of the interviews with a spokes person from pentax says that they did a lot of work reworking the SR on the K10, enabling even lower light hand holding, which can benifit all.

but you are definately right about it being a tool. no camera can give you great pictures out of the box. it can't give a badly lit situation that magical lighting, etc.
but a good camera can help you get in the right direction to improve your photography, all it would take is getting some experence under your belt, read lot of material on how to improve your skills, etc.
THEN a camera like the K10 can give you a ticket to better shots.

I read somewhere that a great photography is 90% light and 10% subject and believe this.
you can take the most boring photograph, and if it has the awesome lighting it will work.
If you take a good subject shot, and have poor lighting, it can really suck.

I am sold (if I can raise the money) on the things on the k10 like the .raw button etc, not just the extra megapixels.

cheers
11-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #6

I agree with SlipChuck, I think people are clamoring for the K10 not because of the mp, but because of the features and price in its piece of the market.

For myself, I want the K10 for its faster AF, improved SR, weathersealing, the li-ion battery and the dust reduction system--a more than suitable replacement of my Maxxum 5D. I based these 'needs' off of shooting motorsports and being at day-long events. I have a good feeling about Pentax based off the people who own them and the quality I've seen vs. Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if the demand for the K10 is because a lot of KonMinolta users are becoming disenchanted w/ Sony and are jumping ship like me.
11-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K100D is a great camera that is starting to really get the press it deserves. I considered buying one to have SR while awaiting my preordered K10D. Decided to just hang in there with my DS. Had I known the K10D would take so long I might have cracked and bought the K100D. I am usually not so excited about getting new equipment but the K10D is making me twitch a little.
I think Pentax is scared to death by the # of preorders for the K10D. Don't think they had a clue that so many would go crazy. There are many switching systems because of this camera. It could go down in history as a milestone camera that changed the course of DSLRs. Basically they just listened to customers and tried to build what they wanted. What a company.
thanks
barondla

11-13-2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Well, I didn't even pre-order K10D like many others in this forum . I guess they'll sell Samsung here in India as it is more popular than Pentax. I'll have wait and see...
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well I took everyones comments and did some extreme soul searching. And Decided that I should wait on the K10D.

I have my K100D inbound now and will use it to do my personal stuff until I am comfortable with purchasing a K10D down the road. Then I will have a system so to speak.

I am kind of excited as it will be a great change from my present EasyShare.
11-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now you won't have to worry about it for a while. Enjoy the K100D. It is a very capable camera. Basically everyone who has a Pentax DSLR now is making due with something very similar. Take pictures.
thanks
barondla