Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
or the wifi sender on top!
Do you mean a radio trigger? Like Cybersyncs or Pocket Wizards?

10-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
OK, when you're in low light and the flashes work, HOW are they being triggered? Are they on the hot shoe in these situations?

If there is an operable flash mounted on the hot-shoe, there is no reason why it should NOT fire when you trip the shutter.
They are triggered from the hot shoe and on occation from the wireless kit!
works flawless with both!

the output of the flash is regulated by the opical sensor on the front of the flash unit!
which is variable with a dial on the 283!
and is usually set to its LOWEST output!
10-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I would probably just set the power to Manual on the flashes, but anyway......

So flash ON hot-shoe and inside it works, but outside it doesn't work? You got me stumped
10-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
works inside ONLY IF in the view finder I get the flashing lightning strike symbol!

but will try a much faster shutter speed and see what happens!

I would have thought that if flash on shoe it over ride the pop up anyway?
so will fire as if it was the pop up?

but they ARE old flashes!
my maybe they are not good enough?

10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I don't know what the "flashing light symbol" is for, but WHENEVER the shutter is tripped, the hotshoe contact is activated, so the flash should ALWAYS be firing (assuming it's recharged)

Make sure you're in M mode on the camera. Make sure your shutter speed is 1/180s or slower. Keep an eye on your ISO and aperture so you don't blow out the ambient exposure. This might be tough in very bright light.

If you plan on doing a lot of outdoor flash work, look into picking up the Pentax 540FGZ which allows you to use HSS and shoot with flash up to 1/4000s.
10-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #21

Is it definitely the flashing bolt symbol and not the solid one?

You MUST see the solid bolt symbol or the flash will not fire. That indicates the flash is properly charged and making a proper connection with the camera.
10-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #22

I would never attach "old" flash units to my K-m (yes I do own one); unless the trigger voltage is measured by myself, and is safe (beow 15 volt or so).

I use studio stobes often, and I'm pretty shure the flash "contact" (the larger central contact) closes ALWAYs in any mode). I Use a radio remote, for that
In particular the "Vivitar 2000" might be dangerous. Look in the list of "flash trigger voltages" here:
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
Maybe the trigger circuit in your camera ia already damaged by your flash unit(s).

10-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not think my camera has seen any damage as the wireless flash trigger (Ishoot brand) works fine as does my friends flash gun in my camera.

The "2000" has only been on my K-m once as has no control over flash output and sees little use!
the 283 is the main flash I use, and works well inside, and in low light.

the bolt in the view finder is the one that tells me a flash is required (or so the cam thinks) it will show if i have no flash on camera, and flashes.
if i put pop up flash up it flashes and fires the flash, if in bright light, I DO NOT get the bolt symbol...
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #24

That really indicates to me there's something weird in the connection between your flash and the hotshoe. When the flash is ready and mounted on the camera, you should see a solid bolt symbol indicating flash is ready for use. I don't know why you wouldn't be getting that.
10-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
with NEW energizer lithium ultimate batteries in the flash unit....

and a Tv of 1/650 the hotshoe flash WILL fire!
but the batteries in the cam are now depleted!

I'll stick some rechargeable on charge and try outside tomorrow!
10-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
works outside!
in direct sun!

Im happy!
just need to try it with my wireless trigger kit now!
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Does it work inside with a shutter speed under 1/180th? If not, is it possible that there are two distinct modes for the flash: regular and HSS, and the flash doesn't auto switch between the two. For instance, it will HSS outside at fast shutters, but won't switch to regular mode when you drop the shutter. Or, if set to regular, won't auto switch to HSS once outside and the shutter speed is increased.

Also, I don't think there are any triggers that can send a HSS signal for pentax flashes. So, you will need to be in regular flash mode with shutter below 1/180th for the triggers to work.
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I worked at 1/30 inside!

I was in Tv mode!

Worked outside in several Tv settings!

Think that it MUST have been poor batteries

and think I do not get the "lightening bolt" in view finder because the camera cannot tell when the 283 is charged? maybe yes?

but the flash is love the new energizer ultimates!
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
I worked at 1/30 inside!

I was in Tv mode!

Worked outside in several Tv settings!

Think that it MUST have been poor batteries

and think I do not get the "lightening bolt" in view finder because the camera cannot tell when the 283 is charged? maybe yes?

but the flash is love the new energizer ultimates!
Or the flash ISN'T fully charged but will still you to discharge what little it has manually.