Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problems with K10 SR lever breakage

I'd like to find out how common it is to have the Shake Reduction Lever break off on the K10D. I've had the problem and I know of one other. Has anyone else out there had that problem?

09-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It happened to my K10.
I took it to Pentax and they repaired it within a few days and returned it to me.
The switch now is a lot stiffer than when I first bought my K10 new.

Here's a thread I made that you might find some useful info:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64622-k10-sr-switch-broken-off.html
09-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I'd like to find out how common it is to have the Shake Reduction Lever break off on the K10D. I've had the problem and I know of one other. Has anyone else out there had that problem?
I have had no problems with either my GX10 and now my K20D but! Its a well known problem and well documented on forums from other owners. The problem was pretty serious when the K10D first came out; in latter production runs Pentax fixed the problem. It was a QC issue with the switch from a parts supplier, they would fall off with just a touch! The K10D also had some bodies that had a hairline crack on the bottom plate (back right corner holding the K10 normal) this was also fixed with latter runs. My GX10 did have the hairline crack! lucky it died and my replacement GX10 from Samsung did not have it.

Just do a search on dpreview and you will have a ton of hits.
09-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Bouncing Copy

My K10D went bouncing down York ststion platform and lever still OK.

As is my K20D - haven't dropped that yet though.

Bill

09-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Mines broke. Shooting SR-less until I can send it off.

RD
09-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have replacement SR levers held up?

To anyone's knowledge, has the replacement SR lever installed from parts by a repair station had the same issue of falling off too? Or were the replacement parts of better quality than the originally installed SR levers?

Last edited by jimH; 09-20-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add title
09-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
To anyone's knowledge, has the replacement SR lever installed from parts by a repair station had the same issue of falling off too? Or were the replacement parts of better quality than the originally installed SR levers?
I would say that based on this:

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The problem was pretty serious when the K10D first came out; in latter production runs Pentax fixed the problem. It was a QC issue with the switch from a parts supplier, they would fall off with just a touch! The K10D also had some bodies that had a hairline crack on the bottom plate (back right corner holding the K10 normal) this was also fixed with latter runs.
...Pentax is using the beefed up switches for the repairs, but nobody can be totally sure. I doubt they would be using the flimsier switches for their repairs, surely those must have dried up from the supply chain.