Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To UV or not to UV?

hey all-
just wondering how much you guys use filters with your lenses. i use the circular polarizer from time to time - always did with film - but havent noticed a real reason to use it with the K20. it seems to meter too dark with it - i compensate but the lens without the filter actually does just fine. my kit included 2 UV filters too - other than protection - what use are they at this point?

im loving the backward compatibility - i shot with my old sigma 19-35 all day today.

09-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
hey all-
just wondering how much you guys use filters with your lenses. i use the circular polarizer from time to time - always did with film - but havent noticed a real reason to use it with the K20. it seems to meter too dark with it - i compensate but the lens without the filter actually does just fine. my kit included 2 UV filters too - other than protection - what use are they at this point?

im loving the backward compatibility - i shot with my old sigma 19-35 all day today.
I think it depends. I am using HOYA HMC UV filters on my lenses. I heard that the top of the line B+W and Helipan are also pretty great. Anything that isn't coated isn't really worth it though... too much flare. The IQ is fine, but the flare... ohhh.... >.<
09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You will find some very strong feelings from some forum members, both ways. Probably the loudest say its a waste but those that shoot in outdoor and harsh environments may feel otherwise. My only advice concerning UV filters, use a good one or none at all. This article backs up that statement pretty well.

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
09-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
my kit included 2 UV filters too - other than protection - what use are they at this point?
Not much. UV filters were created to filter out UV for films that couldn't handle UV light. That was solved many years ago, but the camera stores continued to sell them because they are a high profit item.

About the only time that they are useful is when you are at high elevations where there are higher than normal levels of UV radiation (like in the mountains).

There will be people who tell you that they are good to protect the lens. My feeling is that a filter is not going to help when you drop the lens on the face and shards scratch your front element, or warp your filter threads. About the only time I'd use one is for blowing sand or mist, but I don't any, so it never happens. I use a blower and microfiber cloth to clean my lenses.

09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, even if only to physically protect your lens.
09-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I shoot 90% of the time within 5m of salt water and just find it easier to clean a removable filter (UV or CPL) than worry about removing the coating from my lens. I do not expect a filter to do twit for me if i drop the rig nose down in the muck or pavement. However, now that I have a DA*300 to worry about, I may put 2 UV filters on the front...maybe one on the back also. (insert appropriate emoticon here)
09-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I shoot 90% of the time within 5m of salt water and just find it easier to clean a removable filter (UV or CPL) than worry about removing the coating from my lens. I do not expect a filter to do twit for me if i drop the rig nose down in the muck or pavement. However, now that I have a DA*300 to worry about, I may put 2 UV filters on the front...maybe one on the back also. (insert appropriate emoticon here)
Cover it with some spray-in bedliner too?

I noticed I had a couple scuffs on the front of my FA 80-320 a couple weeks ago. Oh well. Can't think of when they could have appeared, so UV use is only when the wind is blowing snow, or light rain, etc. Day to day, no filter.

If I was in the woods or something, then I'd put one on. But why am I in the woods and how did I get here?

09-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Cover it with some spray-in bedliner too?
Hmmm.....does sound cheaper than a second Hoya HMC UV.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
But why am I in the woods and how did I get here?
Cause you're a wild bear and the old saying holds true?

Insulinguy I hope we actually helped you some with your question besides our screwing around in your thread. To add a little more, I personally do not own UV filters for my very cheap or indoor-only lenses. Others that I only use outdoors occasionally I have step up/down rings if I feel a protective filter is actually required. So with a small collection of 10 lenses I get by with only 2 real UV filters and 1 used skylight filter that came with the lens. Hope that ratio helps from a believer in protective filters.

Last edited by imtheguy; 09-20-2009 at 06:07 PM.
09-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Forum Member

I use a lens cap for protection.
09-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #10

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
It is a good idea for surface protection of the fromt element but a lens hood is also a must as that stops the flare and adds protection.
just my thoughts and the way i protect my lenses and always have. I do a lot of out door work so it fits in with my needs.
09-21-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A lens hood is definitely better for mechanical protection. Many times I have bumped the lens hood against somebody or something. If the hood weren't there, it could well have been the lens front element.

A clear filter would help in dusty, wind-blown situations. In any case, I always use a blower, lens brush and lens tissue after an outing.
09-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A filter will not protect your lens. Anything that would shatter or damage the front element will do the same to a filter, possibly cementing the thread forever to your lens, possibly sending shards of filter glass at your front element, possibly just smashing your lens anyway.

Best protection is a lens hood or lens cap when you are not using the lens.

Why compromise every shot on the off chance of an accident?
09-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #13

I beg to differ. Unfortunately, I dropped my camera some time back. My filter was dented but the threads are fine. That same filter also has a scratch on it. I'd rather that scratch was there and not on my lens.
09-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use them to protect the front element of my lenses from sand, salt water and the like. I do not expect them to take the impact from a fall. I would much rather replace a multicoated filter element that has been scatched or worn down by the elements, then to send in my lenses from a front element replacement.
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Take a picture like this, a challenge for resolution, with and without filter, then decide yourself.

I am not using UV unless I am at least 2000mt high mountains.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo