Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #1

for k10 and k20 owners

I had a k10d and now I have a GX 20.

My question is about colours.

Do you notice different colours between k10d and k20d ?

I see very very different colours between k10d and GX 20.

What do you think about ? is it because is Samsung or not?

many many thanks
Davide

09-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Davide.
I have both and I don't have any significant difference between the two in terms of colour rendition - of course as long as the WB is set at the same temperature.

As you would expect, in tungsten light, the K10D has a lesser ability to adjust AWB correctly than the K20D, which improves remarkably again with the K-7.
09-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never picked up a Samsung camera, but it's my understanding that the Samsung cameras use a different processing algorithm than Pentax. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the results are significantly different between the two cameras, even with the same lenses.
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Color will depend in the white balance chosen, also on your JPEG options or your RAW processing program's default if using RAW. *Some* difference would be expected for any two different cameras even using the same settings, but if you're seeing "very very different" results, you probably have very very different settings. Could you post some sample images?

09-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can clearly see dirrerence between *ist DS, K10D and K20D.
09-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidex Quote
I had a k10d and now I have a GX 20.

My question is about colours.

Do you notice different colours between k10d and k20d ?

I see very very different colours between k10d and GX 20.

What do you think about ? is it because is Samsung or not?

many many thanks
Davide
Yes I owned the Samsung GX10 up until this past Feb, then bought the K20D for awhile I had both. The Samsung had no matter what the setting, set them the same back to back pics, a greenish WB compared to the K20D, Even Pentax President Ned B on his blog shows the WB difference between them that can not be tweaked out. But!!! shoot RAW and its all up to you and your RAW program and no difference in fact this is one of the two reasons I went RAW only from Jpeg for serious pics. One the soft jpeg issue, I did get sharper pics in RAW, two the WB was much better in RAW. Believe me. If I get time and remember I will post two pics one from each. I have thousands of pics from both cameras, a poor habit of not wanting to delete pics
09-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

In the Imatest Results of the imaging-resource reviews of k10 and k20 cameras, they say that k10 has really excellent color accuracy and k20 has inaccurate colors, alot. But, im not sure if they tested them in the same (bright/natural) color settings in cameras. The situation with the k7 is just a little better than k20. I, myself, havent seen 1 good image of k20 that havent been heavely PP-ed, also, haven't seen 1 img with real, accurate, skin colors with k20. So, my 2$ are: The k10 has better colors, noise and tonality of the image. k20 has better features of the body and alot worse photographic quality. Here is imatest result page for k10: h**p://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DIMATEST.HTM
replace ** with tt

09-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Rock Quote
In the Imatest Results of the imaging-resource reviews of k10 and k20 cameras, they say that k10 has really excellent color accuracy and k20 has inaccurate colors, alot. But, im not sure if they tested them in the same (bright/natural) color settings in cameras. The situation with the k7 is just a little better than k20. I, myself, havent seen 1 good image of k20 that havent been heavely PP-ed, also, haven't seen 1 img with real, accurate, skin colors with k20. So, my 2$ are: The k10 has better colors, noise and tonality of the image. k20 has better features of the body and alot worse photographic quality. Here is imatest result page for k10: h**p://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DIMATEST.HTM
replace ** with tt
Are you sure with that? Do you own a K20D? I had owned the K10D before i bought the K20D and I find the colours on the K20D to be so much better than the K10D.
09-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Davide.
I have both and I don't have any significant difference between the two in terms of colour rendition - of course as long as the WB is set at the same temperature.

As you would expect, in tungsten light, the K10D has a lesser ability to adjust AWB correctly than the K20D, which improves remarkably again with the K-7.
Yes, my experience has been the same.
09-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Are you sure with that? Do you own a K20D? I had owned the K10D before i bought the K20D and I find the colours on the K20D to be so much better than the K10D.
Well, it is good that You wrote that You find the colors of k20 better than k10.

Imaging resource does a series of objective tests of cameras.

There is nothing wrong if You like colors of k20 better. It is important that k10 more accurately represents colors than k20.

See the tests for yourself if you think im lying or thinking out.
Regards.
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Rock Quote
Well, it is good that You wrote that You find the colors of k20 better than k10.

Imaging resource does a series of objective tests of cameras.

There is nothing wrong if You like colors of k20 better. It is important that k10 more accurately represents colors than k20.

See the tests for yourself if you think im lying or thinking out.
Regards.
The default color mode for the K10D was natural, for the K20D its bright. This is why they measured different.

Now in RAW I don't think the K20D is better than any camera but here is what Ned B says about the color of the K20D versus the K10D, I guess I was wrong he says CMOS does make produce different color! Now is this for RAW as well, I don't know, but personal I still believe its just a WB difference.

"There are subtle differences in the "color" or tone of an image captured by a CMOS vs a CCD sensor. I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to do any substantial tests to show the differences between the K10D and K20D. The two images below are only intended to show under fairly controlled lighting how the CMOS sensor in the K20D will generally produce a slightly warmer tone image than the CCD based K10D.

You'll probably see a more noticeable difference in the way the K20D records skin tones, and depending on the type of lighting, it produces a smoother almost buttery look. If anyone currently has both the K10D and K20D, it might be a great service to your fellow Pentaxians to provide better samples than my couch to show these differences in tone."