Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I'll repeat this, as you say, "for the record."

I invite you all to:

1. Take an incident light reading with a hand held meter of the same light as that falling on your subject.

2. Set your APS-C dSLR manually to the appropriate combination of ISO, F stop and shutter speed (e.g., 1/500 @ f 11 at ISO 200 for a front lit subject on a bright sunny day).

3. Shoot.

Your photo will be underexposed.

Then, add a stop of additional exposure by any method you wish, i.e., reduce shutter speed or open up one f stop or increase to ISO 400, and shoot the same image.

Your photo will now be properly exposed.

[No PP allowed, of course ]
I have often used an incident meter for outdoor portraits and set the exposure manually on my APSC DSLR according to the meter reading ...exposure is bang on.

09-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
1. Take an incident light reading with a hand held meter of the same light as that falling on your subject.

2. Set your APS-C dSLR manually to the appropriate combination of ISO, F stop and shutter speed (e.g., 1/500 @ f 11 at ISO 200 for a front lit subject on a bright sunny day).

3. Shoot.

Your photo will be underexposed.
If so, your meter is not well calibrated - might want to check that. But as I said in the other thread, repeat the same test with an FF digital camera and you'll get the same result. You are seeing a discrepancy between your meter and your expectations for exposure; you are not seeing a difference between APS-C and FF. Indeed, even if there were a difference, the method you describe would be incapable of showing it, since it doesn't even involve using an FF camera.

Your meter doesn't care what format you are using -= P&S, 4/3, APS-C, FF, MF, or something larger. If the camera sensitivity is calibrated correctly with respect to ISO, all cameras will yield exactly the same exposure when using the same shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. It's a simple test to perform, and has been performed thousands of times by now. Can you find even a single reference to anyone at all reporting anything remotely like what you are claiming here? Small individual differences form camera to camera, yes. Overall advantage to one format over another - absolutely not. You really need to research this; you are not helping your case by presenting this sort of false information.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-25-2009 at 09:36 AM.
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
Just a few points, then I'm out of this discussion:

- Full frame produces less noise, but softer images due to the larger pixel size

- APS-C produces more noise, but the images are sharper due to smaller pixel size

-

P.S. If you want to check my facts about the pixel sizes just Google it and you will have many test results stating such.
I did. As far as I can tell this is just misuse of theoretical arguments and machine tests. Show me real world prints that back this up.