Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
software (I believe!)
Indeed.

BTW: I've changed focusing screens on both the K20D and GX-20 (at the same time) and I can see absolutely no differences on the inside. I prefer the physical layout and the sw UI ;-) on the GX-20, wife prefers the K20D.

Regarding prices the GX-20 is slightly cheaper than the K20D here in Denmark (€650 vs. €750).

09-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I will search for these reviews and send them to you.
I am changing my mind now anyway and may consider the K7.
09-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
software!!!
doh!
09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kositoes Quote
I will search for these reviews and send them to you.
I am changing my mind now anyway and may consider the K7.
In line with everyone else's comments, I highly doubt you will see any appreciable change going from a the GX20 to the K20 - the differences are almost entirely cosmetic and a few software differences - you might as well link a difference in the mirror slap sound to the amount of paint they used in the logo underneath the flash (as in, it would likely be entirely in your head unless you had a decibel level reader!).

Any differing reviews you may have found were likely from un-informed reviewers that didn't have an idea these were in fact the same camera, or else you are comparing reviews from different sites, which is like comparing apples to oranges (or thumb tacks maybe).

The K-7 definitely sounds like what you are looking for, though it is not for me personally, the shutter is very quiet in comparison and AF is appreciably faster - raid the coin jar and trade-up!

09-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks to every one who contributed...
I'm thinking now that the K7 would be the sensible choice!!!
09-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kositoes Quote
Thanks to every one who contributed...
I'm thinking now that the K7 would be the sensible choice!!!
I think your wallet might have another idea though! Kidding, though not for me the K-7 is a very nice, compact full featured light gathering machine.
09-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Get a Pentax K-7 and all you wrote will come true. Buy a k20D and none will come true. Samsung does use a different JPEG engine and programming in the PRIME chip. The K20D has expanded DR and burst shooting of 21fps (at a reduced pic size) that the GX20 does not. But the GX20 has better live-view you can see WB changes on the LCD and a couple other features not to mention the superior IMO full ver of the retail Silkypix 3, compared to the custom made PP program for Pentax. However Pentax has remote ability with USB. I don't use DR expansion or the burst mode of the K20D, I do use the usb tethered operation, and I did use Samsungs Silkypix 3, so IMO they are equal; at least equal value to the consumer. However I personally prefer Samsung menu because it takes you back to where you left off instead of the first page first item everytime you exit the menu on the K20D, I can't stand that about the K20D, my only real complaint.
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi Kositoes

The K20 and GX20 so near the same camera that the cost of upgrading from one to the other is not worth while.

Another vote for holding out for the K7.