Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
gx20 versus k20d!

gx20 versus K20d

I have decided to buy a K20d,I already own a gx20 and whilst i cant fault the image quality(with good glass)I have two reasons for doing so.
1,the shutter sounds like a small explosion!I take a lot of wildlife photos and if its quiet its really very frustrating.:
2,the AF on the gx20 is sometimes frustratingly slow.
again in the field this can be hugely annoying!
does anyone have experience of both DSLRS?what are the pros and cons of the two cameras?

09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Aren't these essentially the same camera, perhaps with different image processing algorithms? I don't think you will find a noticeable difference between these models for either of the problems you have indicated...someone correct me if I am wrong. Unless you meant to say K-7?
09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
HI.
no i mean the k20d,whilst i believe its essentially the same camera in some aspects the k20d has a much better write up on paper,and is more expensive too.
I have heard that the shutter is quieter on the pentax and the AF is quicker too...but i may be wrong...anyone care to put me right???
09-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you are confused, then. The samsung GX20 and the Pentax K20D are essentially the exact same camera but with a different name on the front. There might be a couple of very minor differences to the labeling of the menu items and so forth, but nothing that should make one a "much better write up on paper" than the other. If you find one reviewer liking the K20D and another disliking the GX20, I think you are seeing a difference in opinion between the two reviewers, not a difference in the camera. The writer who liked the k20D would like the GX20 just as much, and the one who didn't like the GX20 wouldn't like the K20D any more.

09-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

In my opinion they're both equally loud . I was comparing the k20d with the gx20 earlier at B&H and the only real different is , the gx20 is slightly lighter .
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I dont think I'm confused..
On every review i have read the pentax has been rated higher than the samsung...i do see where you are coming from though,essentially it does appear that these are the same two cameras,but the fact remains that people in the know(who have tested both) have rated the K20 higher...also if they are identical in every way why is the pentax significantly more expensive?
I love my samsung(apart from its little foibles)but i genuinally think that the evidence points to the K20d as the superior camera....
09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

We have both and I haven't noticed any differences besides sw.

09-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hey thanks for that...a bit worrying.unfortunately i dont have an outlet in my area to ''try before you buy''but i have read that the shutter is quieter on the pentax...i wonder
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Forum Member

maybe you are confusing the k20 with the k7.

the k7 has a much quieter shutter and better af.

if you have the money - sell the gx20 and buy the k7.

gx20->k20 is not really an "upgrade" you would be happy with.
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by kositoes Quote
On every review i have read the pentax has been rated higher than the samsung...i do see where you are coming from though,essentially it does appear that these are the same two cameras,but the fact remains that people in the know(who have tested both) have rated the K20 higher...also if they are identical in every way why is the pentax significantly more expensive?
I love my samsung(apart from its little foibles)but i genuinally think that the evidence points to the K20d as the superior camera....
K20d more expensive than GX20? Where? By how much? I'd get me a 2nd body, in the form of GX20, in a heart-beat, considering new K20d body is currently going for less than $650. Imagine the significant savings on top of that!

K20d and GX20 are as different from each other as Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi!
thanks for the reply..

sw???
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if that's apropriate but I will compare K10D and GX20 as I own both. AFAIK the shutter box, body, metering and AF is the same on K10D and K20D.
So, in terms of shutter noise GX20 is quite a bit quieter than K10D. AF seems to be about the same speed. I haven't done any scientific tests to confirm. AF accuracy. After adjusting the AF for my lenses on GX20, I'd say it's the same on both. Both do miss ocasionally but the difference is that while K10D likes BFing when misses, GX20 likes FFing. Truth is, when values are zeroed my K10 has BF problem, and GX20 FF problem, so there it goes.
The main difference between the two is the sensor. GX20 packs more detail, but on defalut settings I like the colours of K10D a lot more. Big anoyance with GX20 is inability to use PEF files. DNGs are just too big, and using the same developing settings in LR that I would be using for K10Ds PEF files, the colours have realy strong magenta tint. As well, not every browser (I've been using ACDSee 10) can display accurately the colours of DNG files and that's really very annoying, because I effectively can't judge the colours before processing, which s*?!s.
Now, I don't know about the back screen. But if it's the same on GX20/K20 then Again I like the K10Ds better. And the last big difference is the menu system. Again here I prefer Pentax take on it.
To sum it up, there are differences, but AFAIK GX20/K20 perform the same in terms of photographic abilieties. And if you shoot RAW the only differences you'll encounter are buried in menu system. I honestly don't believe that GX20 would have louder shutter f.e.

just my 2p

Peter
09-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
So, in terms of shutter noise GX20 is quite a bit quieter than K10D.
Yep, the K20D mirror is better dampened, you can even feel the difference (the K10D has a quite vigorous return slap).
Overall, the K20D is a more refined camera.
09-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

On every review i have read the pentax has been rated higher than the samsung...
Can you post a pointer to any such reviews? I'm not aware of any that have ever bothered to even compare them directly, because most simply assume they are the same camera. On what grounds are folks rating the Pentax higher? It really is just a matter of labels on menus and so forth - and the fact that the Samsung doesn't have PEF but only DNG for its RAW files.
09-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

sw???
software (I believe!)