Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Disappointing Dilemma

...long time lurker - first time poster

Long story short, my K10D started mis- and short- focusing similar to a lot of other user's experiences
I sent it into Pentax repair and just got the quote for focus recalibration.

Are you sitting down....
Almost $300

So the dilemma is:
1. get it repaired
2. spend the money toward another body
3. Just use it in MF mode

Thoughts/Recommendations???

Last edited by OldSchoolPentax; 09-21-2009 at 11:53 AM.
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suppose if you dropped the camera recently or it suffered similar shock, that could have knocked the AF sensors out of alignment. But if that didn't happen, I would strongly consider the possibility that whatever is going on is not new; it's just something that happened to show up noticeably on shots recently. And without knowing anything about you, your level of expertise, or what testing you've already done, I should at least mention that *many* reports of front focusing turn out to be simple misunderstandings, where the camwera has *chosen* to focus on a subject other than the one you intended (as opposed to trying to focus where you wanted but missing). Have you taken shots with a valid focus test chart, or otherwise taken controlled test shots designed to eliminate that possibility?

Even if it turns out there really is a discrepancy, like I said, chances are it isn't actually new. So then the question is, how bad is the problem, and if you hadn't noticed it before can you go back to not noticing it now?
09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply

The camera is in perfect shape - never dropped etc...

I have performed tests with a focus test chart and determined the longer the focal length of the lens, the further off the focusing is.

The problem has rendered my FA100mm and FA200mm macro lenses useless except in MF mode

In some real-world shots I tried to shoot a planter on a second story rail that had nothing in the background for 30-50meters. Auto-focusing was just in front of the rail as confirmed by popping over to manual focus and correcting the focus

FA 24 AL performs OK, but I really need to watch the focusing the closer it gets to infinity
09-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I suggest to use debug mode to correct AF.
if this is not AF, then download service manual and adjust Af sensors position.
If this won't help go and buy new body.

Based on your answer I suggest adjust the screws as AF adjustment won't help much.

09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I say invest in a new body and use this one for your MF lenses. Anyways, if the repair was $300 for mine, that's what I'd do.
09-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I suggest to use debug mode to correct AF.
if this is not AF, then download service manual and adjust Af sensors position.
If this won't help go and buy new body.
Can you give us the download url please?

Thanks, Bert
09-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by OldSchoolPentax:
I have performed tests with a focus test chart and determined the longer the focal length of the lens, the further off the focusing is.
I had a similar problem with my Pentax K-7 with a used Sigma 100-300mm f/4 that I purchased recently. I hadn't experienced this issue with any other lens so after owning it for just a short time, I contacted Sigma and have it in their repair center awaiting a verdict... Have you tried other lenses with the same result? I would be surprised if the electronics in the camera suddenly starting acting differently. Is it possible that it's the lens?

09-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #8

Try this....went to Google and looked for "service manual K10d" and the first thing they talk about is AF fixing on the k10d............and....there"s another post on this problem farther down this page..

Last edited by Daveinozbikes; 09-22-2009 at 06:48 AM.
09-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
Try this....went to Google and looked for "service manual K10d" and the first thing they talk about is AF fixing on the k10d............and....there"s another post on this problem farther down this page..
Does anyone know to what extent the software-based correction will correct auto-focus problems before you need to physically adjust sensor alignment
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #10

I wonder if you have an earlier K10D with the tilted mirror box problem? I also have an early model K10D, but I got progressively less happy with its autofocus performance and after checking the mirror alignment, I sent it in to Pentax for repair. They did it under warranty (fortunately). When I got it back it was like a new camera - the autofocus was quicker and more accurate then when it was new (and still is!)

Apparently, the misalignment of the mirror box (a manufacturing error) also affects the auto-focus.

If this is the case with yours, you could have some ongoing movement of the mirror box and a software fix might not work. If you are out of warranty and don't think the $300+ is worth it, you might want to consider upgrading to a K20D (which I also just did).

Mike
09-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through a similar question in late may, where my K10D shutter started acting up and dragging the trailing curtain. shots over 1/500 started having progressively larger blacked out areas.

I opted to get it fixed, $325 CDN for replacement of the shutter, plus lens mount mirror etc.

camera came back fully cleaned (usually about $75 for this alone) and is like a new camera. It only took 10 calender days which included 2 weekends and a national holiday.

But, I also used this as an excuse to get a K7

the K10D already had a split image, and is now my MF body, the K7 is AF, and the *istD is an all around back up, plus the main body for MF FLash shots (using K mounts because it can run in TTL mode)
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
Good news is that Pentax took care of me
The camera came back working good as new for less than I had expected...

...still holdnig out for the FF
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be holding out for a while.
Pentax has a few crucial issues that have been ignored for too long, and if they value the longevity of the company they'll address them first before a FF.
Enjoy your K10D - it's still a fine camera in anyone's standards.