Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, it is difficult with such small gray spot only. I concede that a warmer version may be more accurate.
Shadows have some blue cast because they are illuminated by the sky which is blue

But my sample is certainly closer to the correct WB than both the original and your daylight sample. Your daylight sample is way over the edge (brownish cast). Do you use a calibrated monitor?

The warmer version may be artistically better (like candlelight shots shouldn't have correct WB either). But this is another story ...

EDIT:
I have updated my comparison above with a warmer version which is still rendering the beard gray. It may better fit your expectations. Still, it is in between the two, i.e., daylight color temperature yields too warm colors here.
Hum, well, yes and no. Yes, blue skies do create a little blue cast, but not that lot.
And no, the problem that I have with that reasoning is that none of my K10D images show the same problem, while 90% of my K-7 shots do.
However, the K10D artificial light images all are too yellow.

See an K10D example:

Name:  IMGP8977.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  81.4 KB

09-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you find the "red" channel on the K7 after pp as I still see quite a bit of it predominate post pp on the lion and grass behind.

I find with my K10D I have to reduce the red channel in pp and sometimes a slight boost in the blue to get the neutral look I require in outdoor shots

Dylan
09-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i'm interested to try your jpb suggestion as well - will post pics
09-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
...the problem that I have with that reasoning is that none of my K10D images show the same problem, while 90% of my K-7 shots do.
However, the K10D artificial light images all are too yellow.
Hi Bert. I'm not sure you fairly compare the K10D vs. K7 AWB here. The K10D example has lots of blue sky and gray cookware. This gives the K10D a better chance to 'get it right'. Your K7 example of the lions is entirely yellow / orange. How is the K7 supposed to tell this apart from a 'normal' scene lit by tungsten light?

Overall, I'm not much of a fan of full time auto anything on a camera. If you want the best possible WB results, set your camera for daylight WB when you shoot scenes lit by daylight. I think you have little basis for complaint otherwise. Auto WB will always be a compromise that sometimes works against your desires.

You might not like Pentax's 'improved' AWB algorithm on the K7 vs. the K10D but I am sure others will. And I expect across a very wide variety of lighting & scene / subject pairings, the K7 gets AWB close to correct at least as often as the K10D does; in some situations the K10D will work best [the lions?], in others the K7 will win out [most any tungsten lit scene apparently].

Regards.