Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #16

I run my location camera systems (k10d included) tethered on both mac and pc. Prefer the Mac and really like the new Remote assistant. The K10 is an excellent prom/event camera, it will be my #1.
I know MANY people who are either purchasing or seriously considering the mac as replacement to a dedicated PC. You can run all 3 os's on 1 machine now! I love that. Nothing beats the reliability of MAC/Pentax on location.

05-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sketchin13 Quote
i know 4 people with k10d's (including myself), all of them are on mac. (snip)

So what does that prove? You and your three acquaintances don't change the fundamental math. The vast majority of computer users worldwide use a PC, so it's safe to assume the vast majority of Pentax users (or any other camera brand) also use a PC. By the same token, given the very low number of Mac users worldwide, it equally safe to assume a small number of Pentax owners use a Mac, with an even smaller number using this software program. That, by any reasonable measure, puts a Mac version pretty much at the bottom of the list of things to do.

stewart
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meremonkey Quote
I am thankful you're not running Pentax. Nice attitude.
It's not an attitude. It's reality. A reality I had to face up to years ago, and a reality it appears some Mac users still refuse to face up to. PC users have not rushed to abandon their PC's in favor of the Mac over the last twenty years, and they're not likely ever going to do so. The same with software and hardware developers. As such, the Mac has slowly dwindled over the years into a bit player in the overall computer market and will likely remain so.

QuoteQuote:
Same attitude you find in camera stores that don't want to sell Pentax because :there's no market".
There are significant differences. The most obvious one being that Pentax has the third-party support to recover it's market, while the Mac does not. In other words, the situation is not nearly as dire for Pentax as it is for the Mac since Pentax can eventually get back into the stores while the Mac has very little chance of ever doing so. Indeed, Pentax is in the process of doing exactly that while the Mac still languishes at roughly the same point it's been for well over a decade.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 05-25-2007 at 05:33 PM.
05-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pkstudio Quote
I know MANY people who are either purchasing or seriously considering the mac as replacement to a dedicated PC.
And I know of absolutely nobody considering that, seriously or otherwise. I'm sure there are some PC users switching to the Mac just as there are Mac users switching to the PC (people do it all the time), but I've seen no widespread movement in either direction at the moment.

QuoteQuote:
You can run all 3 os's on 1 machine now! I love that.
I know this may surprise you, but the vast majority have no desire whatsoever to run all 3 OS's. Most PC users happily go about their business from day to day without giving of the other two OS's even a passing thought. Unlike Mac users, for example, PC users rarely run into a software program that won't run on their computers, or a hardware device that won't work with their computers. As such, PC users, unlike Mac users, have little reason to even think about another OS - their OS already runs most software and hardware.

Regardless, I've had my say. And, since I don't want to further turn this into a PC versus Mac war, I'll leave all this at that.

stewart

05-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #20

Original Poster
you missed my main point. that i discovered i know 3 other people with pentax on mac (this within the week i've had my camera) proves nothing. i was merely mentioning it. what i was saying is that a majority of everyone i know of, not just personally, in the graphic design/web, video, etc fields, and even a good number in the photography, that are seriously in the business are on macs.

the point i was attempting to make was that in what appears to me to be such a good market to cash in on, it would be foolish to overlook the mac platform. i was speaking in demographics, not worldwide population.
05-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine is OK

so the remote program finally came out on mac today. it still has some menu features written in kanji, but thats ok. its just basic stuff like "quit".

i've updated my firmware to the latest, made sure i'm using the USB 2.0 port, and that the camera is on, but i still can't get the program to see my camera. even when i can see the camera as a mounted disk.

any one have any suggestions or solutions?
Just downloaded for my Mac G5 and iBook and works great. Don't know if I'll sue it but works perfectly...

Ben
05-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #22

A Freudian Slip Ben?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just downloaded for my Mac G5 and iBook and works great. Don't know if I'll sue it but works perfectly...

Ben
Ha, good one Ben, the lawyers in the group would have pricked their ears up at that typo...

My only comment regarding the Mac support is; if you say you support it then make it work properly, or don't even mention it in the list of supported platforms.

Phil

05-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

what i was saying is that a majority of everyone i know of, not just personally, in the graphic design/web, video, etc fields, and even a good number in the photography, that are seriously in the business are on macs.
You're right, of course. The small minority with Macs totally dominate the print publishing, web publishing, graphics design, and video industries, while the majority with PC's either can't or won't do those things - a discrepancy likely due to a lack of artistic abilities or inclinations amoung PC users. This also explains why most Pentax and other camera owners also use a Mac. People like myself are either the rare exception or flat out lying about owning a PC. Developers who refuse to create, or delay in creating, Mac software are not influenced by the realities of markets or profits, but driven instead by their hatred of the Mac and/or it's users. The same with developers who refuse to create hardware drivers for the Mac.

The hundred million plus PC users worldwide are simply too ignorant to see the obvious superiority of the Mac. Their hardware (the same as in the current Intel Macs) is often cheaply made and not as reliable as a Mac, which is why PC's are often cheaper. Their CPU's (the same as in the current Intel Macs) are not as fast as the CPU's in a Mac, and certainly not as fast as the PowerPC processor (which is why Apple began developing Intel Macs several years ago). Their graphics cards (the same as in the current Intel Macs) can't handle graphics intensive applications. And the common PC-based operating systems (Microsoft Windows or Vista) are hard to use and crash all the time, which explains why users never actually do anything (like publishing, web design, or photo editing) with their PC's.

Now that I've agreed with the typical viewpoints of the average Mac user (not necessarily you), I intend (as I said before) to move on. After all, since my PC computer might crash at any second, I can't keep this discussion going forever. Besides, this hard to use Windows PC makes it very difficult to keep writing and posting replies. Take care.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 05-26-2007 at 10:59 PM.
05-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #24

Original Poster
wow. not even what i was going for. but agreed. lets just drop it before somone loses an eye.
05-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #25

Original Poster
if anyone figures out what's goin on in 10.3 i'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me figure out mine.
05-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #26

I have had the usual problem on Vista OS that Remote Assistant 3.01, for the K10D, does not recognise the camera. while not helping this thread for getting this going on Mac, it only works if RA is run as Administrator on opening up even though there is only one user on the laptop with full administrator rights.

Posted for info if others have the same issue.

brian
05-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #27

Original Poster
thanks bwells.