Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #1

Pentax Remote Program on a Mac: oh crap.

so the remote program finally came out on mac today. it still has some menu features written in kanji, but thats ok. its just basic stuff like "quit".

i've updated my firmware to the latest, made sure i'm using the USB 2.0 port, and that the camera is on, but i still can't get the program to see my camera. even when i can see the camera as a mounted disk.

any one have any suggestions or solutions?

*appended*

i run OSX 10.3.9 on a PowerBook G4 17"

Last edited by sketchin13; 05-26-2007 at 02:45 PM.
05-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
They probably too busy sending out resumes before they get there severance packages to bother with these porograms. That sucks.
05-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sketchin13 Quote
so the remote program finally came out on mac today. it still has some menu features written in kanji, but thats ok. its just basic stuff like "quit".

i've updated my firmware to the latest, made sure i'm using the USB 2.0 port, and that the camera is on, but i still can't get the program to see my camera. even when i can see the camera as a mounted disk.

In Windows Vista environment, the RA program properties must be set to "run as administrator" in order to recognize the camera. Don't know exactly how that relates to the Mac system, but it's something to check.
05-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
thats actually good suggestion. i don't know if it would be a problem though, as its on my laptop and i'm the only user. good idea though.

05-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh please

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
They probably too busy sending out resumes before they get there severance packages to bother with these porograms. That sucks.
enough with the doom and gloom already. If you don't have anything to say about the original question please refrain from afflicting us with your negative inanity

NaCl(a mind like a steel trap...snapped shut)H2O
05-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
enough with the doom and gloom already. If you don't have anything to say about the original question please refrain from afflicting us with your negative inanity

NaCl(a mind like a steel trap...snapped shut)H2O
I'm actually being quite serious and I'm not concerned with your opinion.
05-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
haha. so any HELPFUL suggestions?

05-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I don't have any suggestions, but I can tell you that I downloaded and installed the Remote Program according to the instructions. It works like a charm. Actually I think it's an awesome program.

Good Luck
Arnold
05-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asloman Quote
I don't have any suggestions, but I can tell you that I downloaded and installed the Remote Program according to the instructions. It works like a charm. Actually I think it's an awesome program.

Good Luck
Arnold
well, that sucks! what platform are you on? i'm on OSX 10.3 i know it works fine on pc and the mac version hasn't technically been announced yet.
05-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #10

Original Poster

this is what i get.
05-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

None beyond the basics, which you've probably already tried. Uninstall the software and reinstall again. Make sure the camera is not connected during the install unless asked otherwise by the installer. Don't override any of the default install options, such as the suggested file/folder locations or names.

Do an online search for any error messages and follow the suggestions there. Look for suggestions relating to the general Mac error message, not the Pentax specific aspects of it. For example, an error message relating to adminstrator rights on the Mac might suggest a solution that could fix the adminstrator rights issues with the Pentax installer.

Good luck.

stewart
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

this is what i get.
Do an online search for "Mac system extension installed improperly" (text quoted from the error message, minus the Pentax specific text).

I found more than a dozen web sites describing this specific problem with various software programs, with several recommended solutions for a fix. One of those solutions may resolve your problem with the Pentax installer.

If not, widen your search by using "System extension cannot be used" (the text at top of error message) to find even more sites and try the solutions recommended there.

stewart
05-25-2007, 02:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
Reality check. Only a small percentage of Pentax owners will ever actually use this program, with an even smaller percentage of those being Mac owners. In other words, a Mac version has a realistically low priority.

Dishing dirt is not going to change that reality. Instead, you should be thanking Pentax for supporting the Mac at all, especially since so few companies actually still do. That might even encourage them to continue.

At the same time, you should be thankful I'm not making decisions at Pentax. Given the low numbers of Mac users involved, the company would not be wasting even a moment on a Mac version. And that decision would not be based on any bias against the Mac - once worked as a rep for Apple Inc, owning my first Apple II in 1981 and Mac in 1985.

stewart
05-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
i know 4 people with k10d's (including myself), all of them are on mac. only one of them is mac not a primary platform, but they still use it quite often. and in the brochure's they show the software running on a mac. in the field of graphics most everyone i know is on a mac so i think it would be a major understamation not to include support for them.
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Reality check. Only a small percentage of Pentax owners will ever actually use this program, with an even smaller percentage of those being Mac owners. In other words, a Mac version has a realistically low priority.

Dishing dirt is not going to change that reality. Instead, you should be thanking Pentax for supporting the Mac at all, especially since so few companies actually still do. That might even encourage them to continue.

At the same time, you should be thankful I'm not making decisions at Pentax. Given the low numbers of Mac users involved, the company would not be wasting even a moment on a Mac version. And that decision would not be based on any bias against the Mac - once worked as a rep for Apple Inc, owning my first Apple II in 1981 and Mac in 1985.

stewart
I am thankful you're not running Pentax. Nice attitude. Same attitude you find in camera stores that don't want to sell Pentax because :there's no market".