Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
I'd be more concerned about exploding batteries. As someone with some electrical engineering background I'd be *extremely* wary of no-name third-party batteries with the sort of energy density that lithium ions contain (or even NiMH).

Yeah, legit batteries (not necessarily Pentax, any well-reputed brand) are expensive, but I'd still pay the premium - seen too many kaboom-y batteries in my day to feel safe with a no-name.
Yes, Lithium Ion battery packs can and do explode in spectacular and very nasty manner...not common, but it happens....

I'm quite happy buying El Cheapo No Brand AAs to put in torchlights and kiddie toys, but I would never put a battery of unknown reliability in my K-7....

09-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Under what conditions do they explode?
09-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Under what conditions do they explode?
The two most common defects in the "dangerous" category are overheating during recharging and chemical/physical contamination of battery cells.

In 2006, Sony recalled 10 Million Li-Ion Laptop Batteries (mine included) due to contaminated internal cells. I only realised after getting the e-mail from my dealer that the battery was getting dangerously hot during recharging. They made the effort to send an e-mail to every customer they could trace...I appreciated that.

Happens to the best manufacturers...imagine how its like with an "unknown" maker..
09-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
overheating during recharging
So long as it doesn't explode in the camera I can live with that risk!

09-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the tip.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The charger that comes with the Ricoh GX200 is "programmable": corded or cordless... I wonder if the plug fits the Pentax charger...It's perfect...
I'll pick one up.
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Solved

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I bought the 1700mah batteries from a seller in hong kong but he is no longer selling them. this guy in miami has the 1700mah for $25 (most of the $13 batteries are 1400-1550 =mah]
I bought one yesterday on eBay; coming from Hong Kong. $12.99 with insurance, free shipping. It has almost the same specs as OEM: 7.2V-1900mAh.

I had trouble finding that Ricoh plug, but I returned (since two weeks ago) to BestBatt and they had the battery (not that much more $$ than the one I ordered) and the cordless charger (with car plug) for $21. Hhad I known, I would have ordered the battery from them. I ordered from them for my K10D and have had no problems for two years or so.
09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Charger has shipped already! Batetry is $18.95 btw.

09-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Also watch out for them exploding in low pressure situations. The NTSB prohibits Li-Ion batteries from being in checked luggage. They have to be in your carry on since the airplane cabin is pressurized.

Either way I don't take a $15.00 chance with a $1299.99 camera. I bought 1 extra Pentax battery. With one in the camera and one in the grip I went 1700 photos, 5 videos and 2 days before needing to recharge them.
09-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #25
Banned

BestBatt.com - Pentax D-LI90 Li-Ion Rechargeable Camera Battery for K-7 Digital SLR
09-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
Forum Member

Lets face it batteries are not high tech anymore
Also about 80% to 90% of all hard products come from China and Korea
I just came from China (went to inspect our American operation in China) and I was shocked to find hardly any bicycles on the streets, lots of modern cars (Porches, Audis, VWs etc), massive scy scrappers, a train faster and smoother than those in Japan ..... China is not what it used to be, but labor is cheap so products are cheap. This is from a country that had nothing modern about 20 years ago. China has changed just like Japan changed in the 70s and 80s. After this visit, I am not too scared of Chinese products anymore.
09-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies all - I will check into them and pick up some more batteries.

As for the comments about using OEM batteries...that is fine if you want to pay $100, but there are alternatives that are just as good for $10 which was the purpose of this thread.

Thanks for the links folks!

c[_]