Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 extra batteries...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Folks

We are in the midst of our busy season right now and I'm wanting to pick up some additional K-7 batteries. Given that they are just batteries I'm not really keen on forking out $100...

I bought some replacement batteries for my K10D on Ebay from a reputable dealer (came recommended). A little over a year later my OEM battery and replacement batteries are working great (they were $10 each).

I'm wanting to pick up 2 more for my K-7, but the same dealer doesn't have any yet on Ebay. I'm wondering if anyone has picked any up yet from the dealers that are available - and if they could recommend someone for me.

I don't have my heart set on going through Ebay, but in the same token I'm not wanting to spend more than $15-20 for extra batteries.

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

c[_]

09-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
For the same reason - I donīt know about quality of china copies, I have bought one extra original Pentax battery, paid 70 bucks from Pentax dealer.
09-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
For the same reason - I donīt know about quality of china copies, I have bought one extra original Pentax battery, paid 70 bucks from Pentax dealer.
For what it is worth, in Europe the cheapest available option capable of delivery was Pixmania-Pro.com

- Bert
09-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got a $15 Chinese copy and so far it is working just fine.

09-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #5

Yeah for $13 bucks I couldn't turn it down. The fit and finish was very good. It was 99% identical when I compared the 2 side by side. The seams had a slightly different finish because it kinda hard to mimic the plastic completely. Absolutely no problems going in my grip or the body. Some things I will never get aftermarket from china (like a sealed grip or lenses). Other things like batteries are a fairly safe bet. Isn't the OEM battery from China?
09-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were you able to find a 'cordless' charger? I'm not sure why Pentax insists on using corded battery chargers.
09-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give me a corded one every time.

09-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Were you able to find a 'cordless' charger? I'm not sure why Pentax insists on using corded battery chargers.
The charger that comes with the Ricoh GX200 is "programmable": corded or cordless. I wonder if the plug fits the Pentax charger - will try it tonight.

It's perfect. Here's the "cordless" Pentax charger with Ricoh plug:

Last edited by SOldBear; 09-22-2009 at 10:47 PM.
09-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK...so those that bought the $15 and $13 dollar ones...who did you get them from? I'm looking for someone that you had a good dealing with when you purchased them.

Thanks

c[_]
09-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought the 1700mah batteries from a seller in hong kong but he is no longer selling them. this guy in miami has the 1700mah for $25 (most of the $13 batteries are 1400-1550 =mah

z434 Battery For PENTAX DSLR K7 K-7 D-L190 D-LI90 NEW - eBay (item 270446950757 end time Sep-23-09 09:48:51 PDT)

just double checked the 2 from hong kong and they are 1860mah, same as pentax oem.

Last edited by ivoire; 09-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
OK...so those that bought the $15 and $13 dollar ones...who did you get them from? I'm looking for someone that you had a good dealing with when you purchased them.

Thanks

c[_]
I bought this one.
However, there are a lot of sellers for K7 batteries and anyone with lots of good feedback should be fine.
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
However, there are a lot of sellers for K7 batteries and anyone with lots of good feedback should be fine.
Unfortunately eBay feedback doesn't necessarily imply a quality product.

Most buyers open their package, check that the item is what they bought and is not broken then give feedback.

Some buyers will check that the item operates but this check would rarely exceed 24 hours before giving feedback.

So what happens if your item only works for a week, there is no provision to alter or add feedback at a later date, the seller keeps their 100% feedback.

I'm guessing that this is what the OP has in mind. It's certainly what I have in mind and why I'm watching this thread, I've been stung before by a battery that was great, for 3 weeks.

P.S. This is not an attack on anybody, just a warning about eBay feedback.
09-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
So what happens if your item only works for a week, there is no provision to alter or add feedback at a later date, the seller keeps their 100% feedback.

I'm guessing that this is what the OP has in mind. It's certainly what I have in mind and why I'm watching this thread, I've been stung before by a battery that was great, for 3 weeks.
Fair enough - but for $15 including postage it's not too much of a risk.

I have had my $15 battery for about 3 weeks now and after a fair bit of camera usage the battery meter is still showing full charge.

btw - I waited about 2 weeks before posting feedback on the battery for exactly the reasons you outlined.
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Here's what I found when travelling away from home. The hotel room had several power outlets, which was nice. None of them in a position where I could easily plug in and use the charger.

Since then I've always used a corded charger away from home.
09-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #15

I'd be more concerned about exploding batteries. As someone with some electrical engineering background I'd be *extremely* wary of no-name third-party batteries with the sort of energy density that lithium ions contain (or even NiMH).

Yeah, legit batteries (not necessarily Pentax, any well-reputed brand) are expensive, but I'd still pay the premium - seen too many kaboom-y batteries in my day to feel safe with a no-name.