Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-7 at an airshow

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments on my complain about my K-7s. It took me much trouble in trying several bodies & lenses to decide which ones to keep. Finally I went with the second K-7 body and am selling out my D90 on ebay.

Here I would like to share my photos with K-7 and 16-45 and 55-300 at an airshow in Hickam AFB, Hawaii. Hope you enjoy it and help me in answering the following three questions:

1. All my photos are straight-out jpg. Ricehigh said K-7 has blue cast in daylight. I used bright before and found it a little blue since it boosts blue and yellow. Now I use portrait (natural is too flat for me) and it seems better. Can you see any blue problem here?

2. K-7 is supposed to be 100% vf, but actually when I use 16-45 it is >100%. That means the camera captures less than what you want it to. For example, some of my planes has lost hood tip because of that. Today I tested with a ruler and compared with my 50/1.4 and found 50/1.4 is better than two 16-45 lenses (actual picture just losing very little view than the vf). Have any of you checked that and is this normal? While I can adjust myself during framing but it is still a design problem or not?

3. The auto-leveling. No sample pics but I checked it with Hawaii sea level. I found it is a little tilted anti-clockwise when I shoot horizontally but perfect when I shoot vertically. Any similar experiences from you guys?

Those are the only complains of my K-7. I believe I can live with it. What do you think?

Many thanks,
Tony

09-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The link:
Picasa Web Albums - Jian - Hickam_AFB_AS
09-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why does it matter what RH says about the K-7?
Those who know how to use the cam bring out top results each time.
And what you've shown in this series is some pretty cool results under such high contrast conditions.
Cannot comment about the little nuances you mentioned, though (I don't have one).
09-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
2. K-7 is supposed to be 100% vf, but actually when I use 16-45 it is >100%. That means the camera captures less than what you want it to. For example, some of my planes has lost hood tip because of that. Today I tested with a ruler and compared with my 50/1.4 and found 50/1.4 is better than two 16-45 lenses (actual picture just losing very little view than the vf). Have any of you checked that and is this normal? While I can adjust myself during framing but it is still a design problem or not?
I've noticed this problem on my K7 also. Not a huge problem but an annoyance nonetheless.

09-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

Overall, I would say, yes, your colors look a little on the blue, cool side. I don't know how common or uncommon it is with other brands, but I often have to warm up my K10D color temp when taking sunny day pics.
09-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Overall, I would say, yes, your colors look a little on the blue, cool side. I don't know how common or uncommon it is with other brands, but I often have to warm up my K10D color temp when taking sunny day pics.
Nice shots- I enjoyed checking them out. However I agree with Unkabin that the WB did seem off in some. Did you make any changes during the shoot? The earlier shots have more blue in them that those towards the end. It was most apparent to me when comparing the white of the Thunderbirds. May be related to exposure with the darker shots being more blue. For example:

09-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You are right. The first one is in the morning and second one is at noon.
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They look good to me, some of the first ones seem a little underexposed, but not by too much, and could be easily corrected. I personally like shots slightly under, but not everyone does. As for color, that too is easily corrected and if you shoot RAW, even easier. I have been well known for a long time to prefer a slight yellow tint to many of my images, in particular squirrels.....you can easily see that here... Yard Squirrels Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com Look at the latter pages, the shots are better as I have progressed over time, and the tint is not as obvious either, but still there in most.
Bottom line is that you can determine what you like and easily accomplish it...you sure don't need RH for advice, anyhow how can he give advice on color when he is totally blind from years of measurebating? His Momma warned him! So did we!
Regards
Rupert
BTW-I enjoyed the Air Show! You took a lot of nice shots, always a good idea to take plenty!

09-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Rupert! Your squirrels are superb.

I am still a newbie to DSLR, still wanting to shoot jpg right out-of-box. I guess the color/exposure is a mixed WB/Metering issue, but it is just slightly inacurate and I can live with it. As time going, I may put more time to PP.

Thanks again,
Tony