Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

K10D and AF360FGZ Flash in Wireless

Hi Everyone

I am just wondering if there is any way I can control the Pentax AF360FGZ flash wirelessly WITHOUT the on camera flash coming in to play.

What I mean is, If I had 2 external flashes, how can I controll them wirelessly without the on camera flash affecting the shot?

Goes the on camera flash only activate the wireless flashes, or does it actually go off in sync with the wireless flashes.

It's great having wireless mode but I find it rather limiting on the K10D since I have been unable to turn off the on board flash and not interfere with my shooting.

I have also noticed, there are no 3rd party solutions as the AF360FGZ flash does not have the 3.5mm jack input.

Does the K-7 overcome this issue at all?

09-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You can set the built in flash to act as a control. It will discharge to signal the external flash (which needs to be set a slave) but will not affect the shot.

It is a menu option to set the the built-in as a control. I think the default is for it to act as a master which would affect the lighting of the shot.
09-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
You can set the built in flash to act as a control. It will discharge to signal the external flash (which needs to be set a slave) but will not affect the shot.

It is a menu option to set the the built-in as a control. I think the default is for it to act as a master which would affect the lighting of the shot.
I have just looked through the menu and have not been able to find anything that will let me set the flash to "contol"

The AF360FGZ has a MASTER switch on it but I though this only works if you have more than one flash available.
09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It is the last option in the custom menu (before reset to factory)- "Flash in Wireless Mode". Setting this to "2 off" sets the built in flash as a controller.

On the flash, set it to wireless by selecting the position between Off and On. And set it to slave by selecting the "S" in the bottom M,C,S switch.

Good luck!

09-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks you SO much for that

I've literarly surfed the net for like 5 hours trying to find an answer to this. Even went through all the menu's and the manual and completely missed it
09-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

No problem. I'd love to hear how it works for you or see some pics. I spent some time figuring out how to set it up, but haven't been able to use it much to see how well it works or learn any tricks.

Plan to try it out more in the next few weeks. We have a newborn and I understand that moving flash off the camera helps to prevent blowing out the features of babies.
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
No problem. I'd love to hear how it works for you or see some pics. I spent some time figuring out how to set it up, but haven't been able to use it much to see how well it works or learn any tricks.

Plan to try it out more in the next few weeks. We have a newborn and I understand that moving flash off the camera helps to prevent blowing out the features of babies.
This is exactly the reason why I want to shoot in wireless mode. My brother in law just had a baby.

Plus I have two youg kids of my own that I want to photograph
12-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #8

Firmware may have to be updated for wireless to work with internal flash as master or controler.
Check firmware version by pressing menu while turning on the camera. Today Firmware version is 1.30
Pentax web site - Support - Downloads - firmware - read carefully the instructions.
Having looked for help in this forum and not found it wen needed, here it is for others in the same trouble i was.

Vérifiez la version du logiciel interne de l'appareil en maintenant menu appuyé pendant l'allumage jusqu'à l'affichage du numero de version. La version courante est 1.30 aujourd'hui.
La mise à jour est possible gratuitement sur le site pentax.fr . Support - téléchargements.

Last edited by 7clem; 12-26-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: translation
12-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Must have firmware version 1.10

It is the last option in the custom menu (before reset to factory)- "Flash in Wireless Mode". Setting this to "2 off" sets the built in flash as a controller.

On the flash, set it to wireless by selecting the position between Off and On. And set it to slave by selecting the "S" in the bottom M,C,S switch.

Good luck!
Just a note that the firmware in the K10D must be at least at version 1.10 for the built-in flash to act as a controller for an off-camera flash. If you're not sure which version you have, turn the camera off, turn it back on while holding the Menu button down. It will display the version number for a few seconds.

If the firmware is version 1.00, it can not act as a controller and you won't find the option in the menus.