Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colored cameras, daylight shooting, and harsh shadows

I've spent a while trying to convince myself to buy the white version of the k-x because it comes out 30 days(!) earlier than the red/blue versions and it is different from the black, even though I think it looks like a toy in photos (haven't seen one in person of course). Stumbling around the internet, I found some people proudly proclaiming this:

QuoteQuote:
Yep….

I am also one of the daily user of Pentax K2000 and I am fully familiar with the features of this.
It has great reflectors to fill in the dark shadows if you shoot in daylight.
Its really nice experience to use it.
Thanks for posting
QuoteQuote:
Great
Finally someone realise the goodness of white cameras and white camera bags.

They work as great reflectors to fill in the dark shadows if you shoot in daylight….

I always wear white when I shoot outdoors. It works , try it emoticon - smile
In addition, it works to keep the camera nice and cool, compared to black. On the other hand, I've heard quite the contrary:

QuoteQuote:
The reason black camera bodies caught on with pros (and then everybody else) in the '60's was because of the nasty reflections from the chrome camera bodies ruining shots.
Many pros used to cover them with electrical tape.

That's why, to this day, real photographers leave the colored cameras to the uninformed.

White can be a reflector, but not a decent one... it'll more likely screw up your shots than help them.
One of the reasons I didn't want to red one is because of a possible color cast. But the navy blue one doesn't seem like it would cause much, though it is slightly chrome.

09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
raz

This is for real or it suppose to be funny ?

If it's for real, I think is only a slight concern when shooting macro, but in other situation what effect a small patch of white will have to a distant landscape or even a portrait ?
09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Think about the Beautiful K-m Catch Light on your portrait!!
09-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
This is for real or it suppose to be funny ?

If it's for real, I think is only a slight concern when shooting macro, but in other situation what effect a small patch of white will have to a distant landscape or even a portrait ?
Sadly, but perhaps slightly tongue-in-cheek, these are posts from DPR (actually one sounds like from here, can't remember).

Considering the size of these cameras, I think most people's own hands will sufficiently cover a majority of these camera bodies. Most of this is just silliness.

09-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Sadly, but perhaps slightly tongue-in-cheek, these are posts from DPR (actually one sounds like from here, can't remember).

Considering the size of these cameras, I think most people's own hands will sufficiently cover a majority of these camera bodies. Most of this is just silliness.
I will admit I am trying pretty hard to convince myself to get a white one over waiting 30 days for a navy blue. I really do like the idea that it won't get as hot during the day outside in the sun, not that it would matter throughout its life.

Anyone have some photos of a white K-m? I can't find any that aren't just of the K-m up close with no background or anyone holding it.
09-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yup.

The older cams were bricks with flat planes...but if you're getting reflections from the cam, you'd also need to worry about the lens, your glasses, rings, watches, your clothing, etc etc etc...

Seems much ado about nothing.

Canon users certainly don't complain about big, white lenses causing any issues.
09-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would imagine that different colored bodies would make it easy to grab the correct camera fast when one is set with a wide angle lens and the other with a telephoto.
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I will admit I am trying pretty hard to convince myself to get a white one over waiting 30 days for a navy blue. I really do like the idea that it won't get as hot during the day outside in the sun, not that it would matter throughout its life.

Anyone have some photos of a white K-m? I can't find any that aren't just of the K-m up close with no background or anyone holding it.
I placed my pre-order for the white version a few days ago. Then, watching the youtube vid and checking some of the preview/hands on blog posts on the net, I started thinking I wanted the red. Red! Alas, cooler heads (my wife) prevailed, it is really for her and she likes the white. That and waiting an extra month is not worth it.

09-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I placed my pre-order for the white version a few days ago. Then, watching the youtube vid and checking some of the preview/hands on blog posts on the net, I started thinking I wanted the red. Red! Alas, cooler heads (my wife) prevailed, it is really for her and she likes the white. That and waiting an extra month is not worth it.
Interesting, my girlfriend likes the red and doesn't like the white at all. Would you like to trade?
09-25-2009, 04:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

New idea

This will force pentax to make color changing cams. You expose it to bright light can camera turns green or grey or something....

Atindra
09-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #11

Lol @ atindra