Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #1

Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm PK-A/R with K100D

Just received this Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm F:2.8-3.8 PK-A/R mount lens..

However, when I switch it to "A" position on the aperture ring and put it on my K100D with Av dial, i cant seems to set the F setting on the body. When I look at the picture it took with this setting, it is always at F2.8.

Did I get a broken lens? or is this the right behavior for a PK-A/R lens? (I can set the F setting on the body with my pentax-A 50mm F2 on this K100D under Av dial though).

Pls help.

Last edited by protocold; 09-23-2009 at 11:09 AM.
09-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you enable the permit apperature ring on your menu? The good reference on all of this is here.

Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com
09-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, I can set the F setting on the body with my pentax-A 50mm F2 on this K100D under the same Av dial.
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens (the ones on the camera are presumably fine, since it works for other lenses). Also be sure the lens fully clicks into the "A" position. Although actually, I'd think bad contacts or not being in "A" would prevent the camera form even *trying* to set the aperture. Is it claiming that it is (selected aperture displays in viewfinder), but the evidence in the picture is that it was shot wide open? If it setting shutter speed as if it were f/2.8 also, or is it changing shutter speed according to the aperture you tried to select? If so, that would mean pictures would be getting progressively more overexposed as you try to stop down.

09-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
It's in "A", however it seems like the little button no longer works because I dont need to press it down in order to put the lens in "A", i.e. the aperture ring rotate freely into/out of "A".

From the viewfinder, I dont see a F value, all it shows is "F - - ", the dial couldnt change its value at all, unlike my other A lens, but when I take shots with this, through the info I can see it say F2.8....

Any insight?
09-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by protocold Quote
It's in "A", however it seems like the little button no longer works because I dont need to press it down in order to put the lens in "A", i.e. the aperture ring rotate freely into/out of "A".

From the viewfinder, I dont see a F value, all it shows is "F - - ", the dial couldnt change its value at all, unlike my other A lens, but when I take shots with this, through the info I can see it say F2.8....

Any insight?

If the camera is showing "F---", it seems to me that the camera isn't recognizing that the lens is in "A" mode. As suggested, clean the contacts on both the lens and camera. Make sure that the contacts are all in good condition. On at least some lenses, the contacts are tiny, spring-loaded ball bearings that can get pushed into their sockets and get stuck there.

If it turns out that your lens is no longing switching to "A" mode, you can always use it manually, with the aperture ring. However, if the contacts are bad, it may not send the aperture setting to the camera, in which case, you would have to treat it like a k-series (completely manual) lens. That means stop-down metering, using the green button.
09-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
It is the contact... perhaps the "A" pin was worn over the years that it no longer touches the connection point on the body.

I end up using soldering gun to put a tiny bit of solder on the pin and now it seems to fix the A problem. Thank you everyone.