Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #1

K-7 flickering screen?

Hi all,

I have had my K-7 a couple of weeks and I love it. This evening I was sitting looking through the manual and playing with the camera when something strange happened. It had turned itself off as I was reading about the horizon adjustment and as usual I picked it up and pressed the shutter button to wake it up - but it didn't wake, then after a few seconds it did, but I immediately noticed a very pronounced flicker on the screen. It appears that backlight on the screen is flickering wildly. I've turned it off, I've removed the battery and yet whenever I use the screen there is this damned flickering. I have searched for this issue and found nothing, am I the only one to have found this? Is my camera borked?

09-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have a quality problem with the K-7. Its still on warranty - have it fixed.
Could be something as simple as a bad solder joint.
09-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you refering to LiveView or screen itself (playmode, viewing taken pictures)?

If you are saying about liveview - this is normal for Pentax DSLRs.
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have the same problem with my K-7 and PENTAX are pretending they dont know anything about it and want me to send it to Arizona for indefinite time without a loaner. We should join forces to get replacement and or loaners with paid postage to Arizona where they want them sent. The customer service were totally rude and kept shutting me off.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74242-serious-shor...tronics-2.html

09-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
As an update, I left the battery out of the camera overnight and when I tried it this morning it was fine.
In answer to Zebooka's question, it was the screen itself in any mode of operation, clearly the backlight was flickering regardless of the mode of operation.

I have to go back to my dealer soon anyway and I'll mention it to see if they would give me a replacement, but unless it happens again I'm not going to stress about it. In all other respects (rancid Green mode notwithstanding) this camera rocks!
09-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
As an update, I left the battery out of the camera overnight and when I tried it this morning it was fine.
In answer to Zebooka's question, it was the screen itself in any mode of operation, clearly the backlight was flickering regardless of the mode of operation.

I have to go back to my dealer soon anyway and I'll mention it to see if they would give me a replacement, but unless it happens again I'm not going to stress about it. In all other respects (rancid Green mode notwithstanding) this camera rocks!
Go for a replacement if it's only a couple of weeks old. These sorts of things don't magically fix themselves, and unfortunately, defective products do make it out the door.
This is what warranties are for.
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hmm... I think you're right. I'll drop them a line and see if they'll just do a straight replacement or whether they want to wrestle it away from me for X weeks for testing.
09-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

No chance, I tried communicating with Pentax customer service
Just got a rude response and total inflexibility
I too have the same problem with the k-7

09-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
No chance, I tried communicating with Pentax customer service
Just got a rude response and total inflexibility
I too have the same problem with the k-7
Your problem is you are treating the entire supply chain as if it were a single entity that should be devoted to keeping you happy despite (I'm just guessing here, given your posts on these two threads) your surly and obnoxious attitude.

You are dealing with two separate entities.
You purchased the camera from Best Buy. They are a store, they are not Pentax. They are the ones who would be looking after an OTC replacement if one is warranted under the terms of the sale.

You are also dealing with Pentax USA. Now technically, they aren't Pentax either, as they aren't actually owned by Pentax.
They do represent Pentax in the USA though.
However, all they can do is repair the camera under warranty if you would be so kind as to let them do it, or they might be talked into replacing it under warranty, but again, they need the equipment back before this would be considered.

The OP actually has a local dealer who he can take it up with, and I would expect he will get his OTC.
My dealer has already told me that their policy is to replace a defective product OTC if it goes flakey within the first month of purchase, and that they will extend this out if the customer is a bonafide pro.

Your situation is unfortunate, but you are, from the looks of it, doing nothing to improve it and everything in your power to make it worse.
09-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

Wheatfield
looks like you are on the Pentax payroll and are attacking me without knowing the details of my conversation with Pentax customer service
What is your problem?
You have no right to Assume or attack my character
I have a copy of the entire transcript of my conversation with Pentax and the fact is, they are supposed to be customer service.
Stop attacking or judging me
09-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi guys,

By way of an update, I went back to the shop I bought my K-7 from and they were happy to replace it with a new one, unfortunately this has led to a different issue.
When the new box was handed over I thought it looked a little 'used', not tatty exactly, but not like it had just come off the shelf. When I got the camera home I found the battery was already fully charged and I know that's not right, and the first picture I took with it came out with a filename IMGP0990 - well they number the shots sequentially to the best of my knowledge, so to me that suggests that this body has had near a thousand shots fired through it. Also, I could very easily be imagining this but the shutter doesn't sound as quiet or as crisp as my old one did.
The shop was *very* busy at the time I made the exchange, so I'm wondering if I got given a customer return or a demo model by accident. Either way I think I'm going back again as I appear to have ended up with a camera of unknown background that is older than the one I took back!

I'm not having much luck with my K-7 so far! LOL
09-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
upload a picture somewhere that retains EXIF data and we can verify the shutter count for you
09-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ah, I didn't realise that was held in exif, cool, I shall do so.

Edit: Purely as a matter of interest, what field in the exif is it that displays that data? I've just had a look and I couldn't see anything that would seem to do it?

Last edited by Vormulac; 09-27-2009 at 09:23 AM.
09-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
Hi guys,

By way of an update, I went back to the shop I bought my K-7 from and they were happy to replace it with a new one, unfortunately this has led to a different issue.
When the new box was handed over I thought it looked a little 'used', not tatty exactly, but not like it had just come off the shelf. When I got the camera home I found the battery was already fully charged and I know that's not right, and the first picture I took with it came out with a filename IMGP0990 - well they number the shots sequentially to the best of my knowledge, so to me that suggests that this body has had near a thousand shots fired through it. Also, I could very easily be imagining this but the shutter doesn't sound as quiet or as crisp as my old one did.
The shop was *very* busy at the time I made the exchange, so I'm wondering if I got given a customer return or a demo model by accident. Either way I think I'm going back again as I appear to have ended up with a camera of unknown background that is older than the one I took back!

I'm not having much luck with my K-7 so far! LOL
It sucks when the dealer tries to do the right thing and gets it wrong.
If you took the card from your old K-7 and installed it, unformatted, in the new one, it's possible that the camera picked up the file # from where the prior camera left off.
My K20 did that, and I ended up with a camera that from new was indicating over 7500 exposures.
If you put a raw file into PhotoMe, the actual shutter count is in the Manufacturer notes under shutter count. This field doesn't seem to be available in jpegs I've created from raw files, so i don't know if jpegs support this field or not.
FWIW, my K-7 image count is about 250 off from the actual shutter count.
I know I got one that was untouched from the factory, so some discrepancy is to be expected here.
09-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's in both the the RAW (DNG) & jpg, using photome (free), under manufacturer notes > shutter count