Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Monroe, MI USA
Posts: 58
K10d shake reduction

Hello all,

I just bought a K10d, upgrading from a Sony H1. On the sony I would leave image stabilization on most of the time, and had no problems. With the K10D, if I shoot at higher speeds with SR on, I get quite a few fuzzy pictures. With SR off, it seems that I have much more success getting sharp images.

Should the shake reduction on the K10D be turned off until it is needed?

Thanks,

Dave

05-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 94
I leave SR on all the time. I even leave it on while panning. Most people suggest turning it off while panning but I have not noticed anything in my pictures that says I should turn it off.
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 389
I haven't really researched it, but from what I've briefly read, Sony's shake reduction works a little better than Pentax's. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read that.

It might just be a mental thing where you relax too much when SR is turned on.
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 48
I also leave my SR turned on at all times and have no problems with it. However I have also changed from the Sony Alpha to the Pentax and have found that the SR system is not quite as effective as the Sony system. However, having said that, I am really very pleased with the Pentax (which I bought after the Sony met a painful end on a glacier )

Karen

05-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oregon Coast
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 130
I leave mine off all the time unless it's necessary. I figure it's just one more piece of electronics between me and the scene I'm trying to capture, and trying to figure out what I am trying to do.
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 47
I used an H1 until I bought the K10 also. The shake reduction works miles better on the Sony but I haven't noticed the Pentax shake reduction adding blurriness in any of my shots.
05-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Monroe, MI USA
Posts: 58
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am going to experiment when I get home. Hopefully It's not a defective body.
05-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15
Similar problem with K100D

I have been using the ist DL for two years now and recently got a K100D for testing.
After taking about 100 pictures outdoors with SR on, and watching the pictures on my laptop, I had the impression that pictures were less sharp than on my DL.

I use a Sigma 17-70 lens, so at first I thought the K100D was allergic to this lens.

Then I did a test with the two camera's on a tripod and the Pentax kit-lens (the 18-55).
I took several pictures of the same object - a roof in front with a landscape behind, with both cameras and for the K100D with SR on and off.

Strangely indeed, it seemed that pictures with SR on were a bit less sharp than with SR off !
Then comparing with the ist DL, these pictures were even sharper !

So I think it would be better not to use the SR unless you are shooting in very poor lightconditions.

You probably will gain on batterypower not using the SR...

And then, why should Pentax put a knob on the unit for turning it of, if there would not be any reasen to turn SR off ?

Conclusion : Turn SR off if you don't need it.

Because of the other improvements on the K10D (especially the flash that goes higher than on the DL), I retuned the K100D I had for testing and ordered a K10D.
Probably I won't be using the SR at all ;-)

05-29-2007, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member
-spam-'s Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 357
QuoteOriginally posted by jeda Quote
Then I did a test with the two camera's on a tripod and the Pentax kit-lens (the 18-55).
I took several pictures of the same object - a roof in front with a landscape behind, with both cameras and for the K100D with SR on and off.

Strangely indeed, it seemed that pictures with SR on were a bit less sharp than with SR off !
Then comparing with the ist DL, these pictures were even sharper !
Pretty sure that the manual tells you to turn it off if you are using a tripod. Thats usually the go for any form of image stabilisation as it will tend to hunt for movement and potentially leave you with some slightly blurry images.

And, i swore i read somewhere that the shake reduction in the sony alpha was next to useless
05-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15
Using the tripod was for testing. I wouldn't use SR with a tripod in normal conditions - exept if you had a very bad tripod

Anyway, results showed that you should turn it off when not needed - or even better : only turn it on when you really need that extra step down "in the dark"...
05-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
Technique when using SR....

WAIT until the shakey hand sign in the VF comes on.

Also, at high shutter speeds, it doesnt help much so you may as well turn it off.
05-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Monroe, MI USA
Posts: 58
Original Poster
I have been using the camera most of the time with the SR off, and it works flawlessly. I still haven't decided if it is defective, or if the sony was that much better. I need to make time to go back to the store and do some comparing.

I never expected that I would hope that the shake reduction just sucks, but after only about 10 days with this camera, I hate having to send it out for repairs!
05-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by jena Quote
I am really very pleased with the Pentax (which I bought after the Sony met a painful end on a glacier )

I hope it wasn't the 70 decibel Sony shutter that triggered a landslide : 0

(Trying to figure out which smiley to put here. I'm making a joke about the Sony's loud shutter but I feel your pain about the demise of your camera. Mother Nature trumps all.)
05-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 94
QuoteOriginally posted by jeda Quote
I have been using the ist DL for two years now and recently got a K100D for testing.
After taking about 100 pictures outdoors with SR on, and watching the pictures on my laptop, I had the impression that pictures were less sharp than on my DL.

I use a Sigma 17-70 lens, so at first I thought the K100D was allergic to this lens.

Then I did a test with the two camera's on a tripod and the Pentax kit-lens (the 18-55).
I took several pictures of the same object - a roof in front with a landscape behind, with both cameras and for the K100D with SR on and off.

Strangely indeed, it seemed that pictures with SR on were a bit less sharp than with SR off !
Then comparing with the ist DL, these pictures were even sharper !

So I think it would be better not to use the SR unless you are shooting in very poor lightconditions.

You probably will gain on batterypower not using the SR...

And then, why should Pentax put a knob on the unit for turning it of, if there would not be any reasen to turn SR off ?

Conclusion : Turn SR off if you don't need it.

Because of the other improvements on the K10D (especially the flash that goes higher than on the DL), I retuned the K100D I had for testing and ordered a K10D.
Probably I won't be using the SR at all ;-)

I wouldn't say that SR is making the images less sharp. Especially when comparing to a DL. I have a DL and that camera produces some VERY sharp images. Much more sharper than my K10.
05-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Forum Member
Dr_Watso's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 65
It took me a few shoots to get the hang of using the SR, but I thought the same when I upgraded from my DL too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k10d, photography, reduction, shake, sony, sr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shake reduction K10D troutman Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 09-26-2009 12:46 PM
K10D Shake Reduction Help blank Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-24-2008 07:11 AM
k10d and shake reduction? silent_eyes Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 08-14-2008 03:33 PM
K20D / K10D shake reduction wonderer Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 06-25-2008 01:39 PM
K10D Shake Reduction and Tripod Ian Mc Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-31-2006 04:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top